PDA

View Full Version : Negative attitudes on Tenerife

tenerife trek
25-08-2011, 14:16
Why do you think that the majority of Tenerifans that one meets everyday in shops, restaurants and official offices have a negative attitude to their jobs and the people that they are there to serve?

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 14:27
I can't say I've met any of these types when I've been on holiday in Tenerife, but the types you describe could be anywhere in the world.

Jimandsi
25-08-2011, 14:32
Why do you think that the majority of Tenerifans that one meets everyday in shops, restaurants and official offices have a negative attitude to their jobs and the people that they are there to serve?

I don't honestly think they do have negative attitudes, so would ask.....

Do you greet them nicely ?

Do you try and speak their language ?

Do you say thank you to them ?

If the answer to all three is yes then I would suggest that the person serving you might just be having a bad day.

Angusjim
25-08-2011, 14:36
I don't honestly think they do have negative attitudes, so would ask.....

Do you greet them nicely ?

Do you try and speak their language ?

Do you say thank you to them ?

If the answer to all three is yes then I would suggest that the person serving you might just be having a bad day.

The Lassie on the counter at the Supermarket outside Ocean Park must have have a lot of bad days then:spin:

dokgolf
25-08-2011, 14:41
I can't say I've met any of these types when I've been on holiday in Tenerife, but the types you describe could be anywhere in the world.
I would agree with GfG. Anytime, we've interacted with staff etc, we never had a problem with them. That being said, some of them don't say very much or smile, but I've always put that down to a language barrier. ( They generally go into convulsions of laughter when I try my little bit of Spanish on them, dunno why though??:confused:)

Suej
25-08-2011, 15:18
I quite agree Dokgolf and GFG, I´ve lived here over 6 years and have not met many who are not friendly and helpful! and Yes Dokgolf they do have a giggle at my Spanglish too but then will often tell me the right word or grammar to use and will give you a pat on the back for trying! Treat them as you would like to be treated yourself and you shouldn´t have any problem!:D

TheBloke
25-08-2011, 15:22
Hello Tenerife Trek....bit of a negative first post.

Muppet
25-08-2011, 15:58
Probably because they are all on indefinado contracts, can't be fired, so can't be a***d ?

timmylish
25-08-2011, 16:01
Well, as a resident of some 23 years I am of the opinion that the level of "negativity" which you refer to is substantially less here than that I have experienced elsewhere in the World, and I have travelled extensively. In fact my Daughter who comes over from Glasgow once a year is always amazed when the shop workers, for instance, recognise her and enjoy speaking with her. Unfortunately, the worst offenders, in my opinion, are the lads who work the Asian shops.

cainaries
25-08-2011, 16:21
I have met some of the kindest and most helpful and caring people I have ever known here. And with no doubt at all for every 5 of them I have met someone so rude that I am left completely speechless and upset. I've been marched out of a dress shop and shown the door and been overcharged a few times as well. I think it would be a bit naive of us all to assume there is no native Canarian who doesn't resent the influx of foreigners. Most of the people I talk to seem far fuller of the milk of human kindness than people left behind in the UK. But not all of them.

the_kat
25-08-2011, 17:04
I can see both sides of the argument here, there are those few that are rude and ignorant and miserable, but far more who are friendly, I think that we tend to forget the 'good' ones more because we are accustomed to being polite and friendly ourselves and as such don't think anything of it when people are kind and friendly back. But the rude ones stick out more and remain in our thoughts because they don't behave 'normally' and therefore cause a negative reaction in us that we recognize and remember. :crazy: psychology lesson over .......... ;)

2 of the worst offenders: pretty much all the staff at hermaly supermarket La Camella and the woman in the bakery in Buzanada (but the croissants are too yummy to boycott it)

caroletenerife
25-08-2011, 17:19
The Lassie on the counter at the Supermarket outside Ocean Park must have have a lot of bad days then:spin:
haha, i know her, she has a face like smacked backside almost everytime i go in. Refuses to make eye contact or even ask for amount she just holds out her hand and gives you change without looking at you, at first i thought she might have a complex or something, but when shes on her mobile shes laughing with her friends, whilst ignoring customers. So basically she is just plain rude

cainaries
25-08-2011, 17:45
The staff in our local San Martin are a standing joke amongst all foreigners here. However, about six months ago everything changed and they are now friendly and polite. We can only assume that someone made a formal complaint about their attitude and there must have been some staff training. It's still a pleasant surprise to go to the delicatessen counter and get a cheery 'hola' instead of what happened previously which was that they just walked off and refused to serve us. As for the woman you all describe in the bakery ... I reckon she used to work in the bakery in our San Martin! She's been gone about six months. Best was her smacked backside face with a christmas hat perched reluctantly on top of it a couple of Christmasses ago. The contrast was so funny I wished I'd dared to take a photo.

9PLUS
25-08-2011, 17:53
Maybe it's something really serious like they aren't getting any....

pablo1
25-08-2011, 18:05
As i'm only interacting with them for such a short time I really don't let it worry me if they are giving me a shiny balloon with ribbons on or a look that could curdle milk.
That said, if I meet somebody miserable behind a bar or in a restaurant I will tell them straight, but that's more to do with me being in that trade I suppose. :-)

bonitatime
25-08-2011, 18:39
There are a few, but I am sure no more than anywhere else. The people in the bar next to me are very miserablr but yhey are not Spanish so don't count. The waitress almost throws the tray of drinks at the table and in a year I don't think I have seen her smile more that half a dozen times.

caroletenerife
25-08-2011, 19:00
Instead of negative attitudes, we should highlight good service. You dont need to go to a posh restaurant or fancy bar to receive good, helpful service. The man in the little 'Smiley' supermarket near the shop always says good morning and asks how you are, and most of the girls in Hiper dino San Eugenio are helpful (couple of exceptions though, especially one dour faced wifie). The staff in faces bar are always welcoming too x

9PLUS
25-08-2011, 19:13
Be the Change You Want to See

x

warbey
25-08-2011, 19:16
We always compare with the U.K. and Tenerife wins hands down.

If You think differently perhaps You reside somewhere We would all like to.

Only a suggestion, try going out and looking for helpful People. You may be surprised.

dokgolf
25-08-2011, 19:18
I can see both sides of the argument here, there are those few that are rude and ignorant and miserable, but far more who are friendly, I think that we tend to forget the 'good' ones more because we are accustomed to being polite and friendly ourselves and as such don't think anything of it when people are kind and friendly back. But the rude ones stick out more and remain in our thoughts because they don't behave 'normally' and therefore cause a negative reaction in us that we recognize and remember. :crazy: psychology lesson over .......... ;)

2 of the worst offenders: pretty much all the staff at hermaly supermarket La Camella and the woman in the bakery in Buzanada (but the croissants are too yummy to boycott it)

Thats getting your priority's right!!:agree:

Added after 2 minutes:

Probably because they are all on indefinado contracts, can't be fired, so can't be a***d ?

Subtle as a brick through a window..... brilliant. I can always depend on you, Muppet, to speak your mind.!!:tiphat:

caroletenerife
25-08-2011, 19:41

If You think differently perhaps You reside somewhere We would all like to.

Only a suggestion, try going out and looking for helpful People. You may be surprised.

i try to do a RAK (random act of kindness) every day, it doesnt need to be a biggy, you can help someone with shopping etc.its very easy in Tenerife because there are always people lost you can help out or couples taking photos that you can offer to take one of them together.

Sal
25-08-2011, 20:13

Never had a problem with them on holiday.

Have you been to Paris? rolleyes2:

finca18jrl
25-08-2011, 20:23
Try the staff at the ITV station then! Definitely deserve the medal for the rudest/most negtive workers!

TheBloke
25-08-2011, 20:25
Can the OP add any more to this thread or are they just a windup merchant?

caroletenerife
25-08-2011, 20:29
Never had a problem with them on holiday.

Have you been to Paris? rolleyes2:
haha, ive travelled through France, oooft i know what you mean x

Davie Thistle
25-08-2011, 20:41
...............I think I'd be ****** off too,
if all you foreigners came in and took over My Island!!

:crylaughing:

caroletenerife
25-08-2011, 20:45

do you mean like britain :D

karinagal
25-08-2011, 20:56
haha, i know her, she has a face like smacked backside almost everytime i go in. Refuses to make eye contact or even ask for amount she just holds out her hand and gives you change without looking at you, at first i thought she might have a complex or something, but when shes on her mobile shes laughing with her friends, whilst ignoring customers. So basically she is just plain rude

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g::crylaughing: Nurse!! I think I need a bedpan!!!!! Almost wet myself laughing at that phrase - ma mammy would have said that!!

captain jack sparrow
25-08-2011, 21:27

do you mean like britain :D

:crylaughing: :crylaughing: Reply of the day, :laugh:

Ashro Autos
25-08-2011, 22:10
Try the staff at the ITV station then! Definitely deserve the medal for the rudest/most negtive workers!

Beg to differ on this one i am affraid.The reason they get a bit rude is when people havent got a clue what they are doing when they go there which wastes there time and can be dangerous.All of the staff down there from the cleaner to the chief engineer are fine with me and trust me my spanish is not great.Try mingling with a few of them every every day and you will soon see how they start to accept you especially if you try to speak there language .Just remember we are in there country.How many english people get hacked off at all the foreigners in the uk ?

Malteser Monkey
25-08-2011, 22:41
I never had a bad day or a bad word in the 10 years I worked there - except at 5am when it was time to go eat then go to bed:cheeky:

that's the truth !

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 23:22
I have met some of the kindest and most helpful and caring people I have ever known here. And with no doubt at all for every 5 of them I have met someone so rude that I am left completely speechless and upset. I've been marched out of a dress shop and shown the door and been overcharged a few times as well. I think it would be a bit naive of us all to assume there is no native Canarian who doesn't resent the influx of foreigners. Most of the people I talk to seem far fuller of the milk of human kindness than people left behind in the UK. But not all of them.

I laugh every time I read this bit Canaries - I have this picture in my mind, of you being lifted up under the arms, by a couple of security guys either side of you, your feet dragging along the floor as they throw you out of the door. You weren't caught shop lifting again were you?!! :D

Malteser Monkey
25-08-2011, 23:24
I laugh every time I read this bit Canaries - I have this picture in my mind, of you being lifted up under the arms, by a couple of security guys either side of you, your feet dragging along the floor as they throw you out of the door. You weren't caught shop lifting again were you?!! :D

naaa she was wearing the dressing room at the time

Sooooooooooooo sorry couldn't resist - only joking begging forgiveness - it's mee cheeky por favor forgive me !:D

Andy0210
25-08-2011, 23:39
And with no doubt at all for every 5 of them I have met someone so rude that I am left completely speechless and upset. I've been marched out of a dress shop and shown the door

naaa she was wearing the dressing room at the time

Note that Cainaries doesn´t actually state this was in Tenerife ???

Perhaps she was looting in Dorothy Perkins a couple of weeks ago at the time ;)

kieraj
25-08-2011, 23:44
I only experienced kind and helpful people when we lived in LC, for eg I was in a hurry buying bread etc for the bar one morning I paid the nice lady with 50 euro's and she gave me change for 20 euros I explained in Spanish but she very nicely told me NOOO I was wrong didn't have time to argue so left and about 3 weeks later I went in for a few bits and the nice lady gave me an envelope with my correct change and a letter of apology I was amazed how nice was that.

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 23:48

Well spotted Andy!! She did mention a trip back to the UK the other month didn't she?!!! I bet she wishes she'd 'picked up' her Kindle when she was there!!! :D:D

Margaretta
26-08-2011, 00:03
It's nothing to do with being Canarian; it's moody people. Think Fawlty Towers......

slodgedad
26-08-2011, 01:43
After 17 years in Tenerife the only bad service I have had has been in British Bars.

I have seen Brits receive bad service in Canarian owned bars because of their attitude..ie.

Oy,Juan gizza pint of larrrgerr.

Even with my limited Spanish, I always have respectful service in a Spanish speaking bar, but with my excellent English the same can't be said of the Brit bars.

You get what you give.

Why have Brits got the attitude that waitering is a lowly profession when in most countries it is a trained occupation?

In certain parts of Europe waiters actually pay the employer to work in their establishment, for the tips they know they will get.

Never happen with Brits as they still have the workhouse/ in service attitude instilled in them

captain jack sparrow
26-08-2011, 02:07
Found some of the nicest waiters / bar staff in Amandas bar last week, ( under santa maria, torviscas, ) Gregario made a fuss of my 4 year old every time we went in and gave her a free ice cream, Also Sean King the resident compare, top bloke, comes over and sits with you for a natter, really makes you feel welcome, Thus the girls wanted to go there most nights so we did, no over inflated drink prices ether, Unlike st eugenes bar, plus the compare mike carlton will blank you all night if you dont want to pay him to take a photo of you, So waiters and bar staff could easily make or break a business. Above is my personal opinion only.

caroletenerife
26-08-2011, 03:14
Found some of the nicest waiters / bar staff in Amandas bar last week, ( under santa maria, torviscas, ) Gregario made a fuss of my 4 year old every time we went in and gave her a free ice cream, Also Sean King the resident compare, top bloke, comes over and sits with you for a natter, really makes you feel welcome, Thus the girls wanted to go there most nights so we did, no over inflated drink prices ether, Unlike st eugenes bar, plus the compare mike carlton will blank you all night if you dont want to pay him to take a photo of you, So waiters and bar staff could easily make or break a business. Above is my personal opinion only.
they are very family friendly in there, and they make great bacon sandwiches x

willowlily
26-08-2011, 06:18

If You think differently perhaps You reside somewhere We would all lik
e

service in the uk seems to have improved substancially in the restaurants, hotels, bars and shops over the past few years, unfortunately it is the polish work ethic that is responsable

Angusjim
26-08-2011, 07:01

Yep thats her described perfectly :agree:

cainaries
26-08-2011, 11:15

I couldn't run fast enough to do any looting, Andy0210. To be fair this was in La Palma. There was a bride-to-be in the shop choosing her wedding trousseau and all the staff were fussing round her. I waited very patiently and then another Spanish woman came in and got served immediately which annoyed me so I pointed out I had been waiting very politely since they were busy and the woman did indeed get me by the arm and march me to the door. I have never been a victim of racism before and it was extremely upsetting. I went home in floods of tears and begged OH to go back to the UK. We're still here but I've obviously never been back to the shop and have told a lot of people about it. The difference between here and Tenerife may lie in the difference of expat nationalities as over 90% of the expats here are German. Today I am wearing my 'no soy alemana' t-shirt so they shouldn't be rude to me now.

caroletenerife
26-08-2011, 11:52
I couldn't run fast enough to do any looting, Andy0210. To be fair this was in La Palma. There was a bride-to-be in the shop choosing her wedding trousseau and all the staff were fussing round her. I waited very patiently and then another Spanish woman came in and got served immediately which annoyed me so I pointed out I had been waiting very politely since they were busy and the woman did indeed get me by the arm and march me to the door. I have never been a victim of racism before and it was extremely upsetting. I went home in floods of tears and begged OH to go back to the UK. We're still here but I've obviously never been back to the shop and have told a lot of people about it. The difference between here and Tenerife may lie in the difference of expat nationalities as over 90% of the expats here are German. Today I am wearing my 'no soy alemana' t-shirt so they shouldn't be rude to me now.

Got to say, have had that alot, dont know if they actively mean to serve spanish first or that us brits stand and wait patientley (i think we queue better than anyone else). Sometimes if someone has a couple of items in the supermarket i ask them if they would like to go first...love the shocked look on their faces....However in the UK, the grannies are the worst for queue jumping, especially if there are kids waiting, they think its their god given right to go first

cainaries
26-08-2011, 12:11
Got to say, have had that alot, dont know if they actively mean to serve spanish first or that us brits stand and wait patientley (i think we queue better than anyone else). Sometimes if someone has a couple of items in the supermarket i ask them if they would like to go first...love the shocked look on their faces....However in the UK, the grannies are the worst for queue jumping, especially if there are kids waiting, they think its their god given right to go first

I agree, caroletenerife, causes lots of surprise if you let people go first, they are always very grateful! As for the OAPs in the queues, always used to drive me mad when I was in the UK that they went shopping at lunch time or at about 6 in the evening just when we poor workers wanted to grab a few things and rush home to put our feet up. There they'd be counting out their pennies. But that's me now and I'd better go to the shops.

Margaretta
26-08-2011, 13:16
Cainairies, this happened to me in North Wales!! Just the same, in a shop where I queued. The woman behind the counter moved so that she could look behind me and spoke Welsh to the next person. So rude! But it does happen often. Misplaced patriotism.

cainaries
26-08-2011, 15:20
Cainairies, this happened to me in North Wales!! Just the same, in a shop where I queued. The woman behind the counter moved so that she could look behind me and spoke Welsh to the next person. So rude! But it does happen often. Misplaced patriotism.

And me! In North Wales. I was in the front of the queue in the Post Office and they served everyone behind me in Welsh. When she finally got to me I asked her if she'd ever heard of the Race Relations Act. She said 'yes'. I said 'doesn't it apply to you then?' and she was astounded. Misplaced patriotism is an excellent euphemism, I like it.

MaxineC
27-08-2011, 01:39
I've had as much bad service in the UK as I've had here, though here probably edges it ;). I'm always very polite, until I'm given cause not to be... then god help them - when I lose it, I lose it big time!

Most recent occasion was last month in Hospiten. I'd been admitted in the afternoon, was in bed on a drip, and had been for some hours, and was quite poorly. Several hours later a Spanish lady was brought into my room (it was the 1st time I hadn't asked to have a room to myself, which my private cover allows me to do). She seemed fine and pleasant enough, but the minute her daughter and son-in-law left, she kicked off big time, and thought as I was English I didn't understand what she was saying... Sadly for her, I understood a lot more than I can speak...

To cut a very long story short, even though she was still fully clothed, and was not an emergency admittance, and I was, I was moved into another room, which was dark (couple of lights not working & very hot (air con broken) and over Urgencias), so very noisy. Despite me asking many times, nobody would tell me why I was moved, when it was her that had the problem, and still wasn't in a bed, yet they had to move me in my bed... which I reckon took a lot more work!!!

In the end, having exhausted every other avenue, and at the end of my tether, I ripped my IV out and discharged myself... Only then did I get their attention - too late!! Ok, so I've received exceptional service since, but only after an official complaint and putting my own health at risk, all to appease some Spanish woman who had a problem with the English (by the hospitals eventual admission!).

We by nature are brought up to say please & thank you, and queue to await our turn... A trait which many of our European counterparts are not accustomed to. Though we have have a bad reputation in other areas, when it comes to manners, the Brits lead the way... No question!

cainaries
27-08-2011, 12:43
I've had as much bad service in the UK as I've had here, though here probably edges it ;). I'm always very polite, until I'm given cause not to be... then god help them - when I lose it, I lose it big time!

Most recent occasion was last month in Hospiten. I'd been admitted in the afternoon, was in bed on a drip, and had been for some hours, and was quite poorly. Several hours later a Spanish lady was brought into my room (it was the 1st time I hadn't asked to have a room to myself, which my private cover allows me to do). She seemed fine and pleasant enough, but the minute her daughter and son-in-law left, she kicked off big time, and thought as I was English I didn't understand what she was saying... Sadly for her, I understood a lot more than I can speak...

To cut a very long story short, even though she was still fully clothed, and was not an emergency admittance, and I was, I was moved into another room, which was dark (couple of lights not working & very hot (air con broken) and over Urgencias), so very noisy. Despite me asking many times, nobody would tell me why I was moved, when it was her that had the problem, and still wasn't in a bed, yet they had to move me in my bed... which I reckon took a lot more work!!!

In the end, having exhausted every other avenue, and at the end of my tether, I ripped my IV out and discharged myself... Only then did I get their attention - too late!! Ok, so I've received exceptional service since, but only after an official complaint and putting my own health at risk, all to appease some Spanish woman who had a problem with the English (by the hospitals eventual admission!).

We by nature are brought up to say please & thank you, and queue to await our turn... A trait which many of our European counterparts are not accustomed to. Though we have have a bad reputation in other areas, when it comes to manners, the Brits lead the way... No question!

Maxine ... just read out your post to OH. He hopes you will file a denuncia!

And we completely agree with your last paragraph. I was third in the queue for a Binter Canarias flight one day and yet I was still one of the last on the plane. We know how to queue but not the opposite. A friend of mine who is pretty fluent objected to some queue barging at an airline check-in line one day. The family looked at her as though she was barking mad. The check-in woman did tell the family to join the queue but they just walked straight over to the next desk and barged in there!

irishmusico
27-08-2011, 12:43

I don't think that is the case at all.I find 99% of the locals very nice.The 1 % are probably having a bad day.I think it depends on how you deal with people.

MaxineC
27-08-2011, 13:01
Maxine ... just read out your post to OH. He hopes you will file a denuncia!

And we completely agree with your last paragraph. I was third in the queue for a Binter Canarias flight one day and yet I was still one of the last on the plane. We know how to queue but not the opposite. A friend of mine who is pretty fluent objected to some queue barging at an airline check-in line one day. The family looked at her as though she was barking mad. The check-in woman did tell the family to join the queue but they just walked straight over to the next desk and barged in there!

Yes I did, and received a formal apology from the hospital and the Canarian health department (can't remember the exact Spanish name for the dept ;))... When I was taken in again, earlier this month, I was treated like a queen. Not sure what note is now next to my name on their systems, but it's worked a treat - probably something along the lines of, 'Beware, this woman bites... hard!' :D

Good manners cost nothing, though you wouldn't think that when you see how some people behave... Quite sad! :(

cainaries
27-08-2011, 16:29
Yes I did, and received a formal apology from the hospital and the Canarian health department (can't remember the exact Spanish name for the dept ;))... When I was taken in again, earlier this month, I was treated like a queen. Not sure what note is now next to my name on their systems, but it's worked a treat - probably something along the lines of, 'Beware, this woman bites... hard!' :D

Good manners cost nothing, though you wouldn't think that when you see how some people behave... Quite sad! :(

Good! Delighted to hear it. OH had an appointment with the endocrinologist last week and the man himself and his two nurses/support staff were so incredibly kind, caring, professional, polite etc. I wanted to take the lead nurse by the hand and take her to the ENT department so she could explain basic human decency to one of the nurses there who is just about the rudest person I have ever met.