PDA

View Full Version : What happened since I joined a year and a day ago

She Sells Seashells
25-08-2011, 17:00
On a hunch, I checked and I joined the forum a year and a day ago. I was reflecting on the influence the forum has had on my life in that time. When I joined, we were waiting to exchange contracts on our house in the UK and move here, and had no dates for either. Since then.....

Any number of people offered advice and encouragement, among them cainaries, ShirleyAnnb a/k/a Pets@home now, and Young Golfer.

We found a house to rent for 6 months via Doreen Quinn. We found the house we bought at the price we were willing to pay via CIM. Doreen (just 'Doreen') gave us the name of a very good English-speaking lawyer.

We needed alterations to the house, so luckily Apollo announced a discount on Carpenter's services early in the year, and he finished off my kitchen as well as put in a closet so I can now hang my clothes. Apollo has also had a lot of good info which helped us to get our dogs settled.

We also met a new friend who hails from the other end of Africa like OH does - that's Chris P Bacon.

This forum has really been useful!

sunspot
25-08-2011, 17:26
Glad to hear you got some first class help from those forum members

She Sells Seashells
25-08-2011, 19:51
Thanks 9PLUS, Saltnpepper, sunspot & Suej!

I started this thread to be positive, and as a pick-me-up after recent upheavals, but it seems pretty much for nought. 46 views, 1 reply. Your thanks and comments are in the spirit in which I posted. So thanks guys!

In contrast, there's a thread running about negative attitudes in Tenerife which has had 344 views and 20 replies.

I despair. That is why I am getting so disenchanted with this forum I am considering terminating my involvement. I am utterly sick to death of that mentality.

Anyway, thanks again and I wish you all the best.

Ecky Thump
25-08-2011, 20:07
At 5pm you posted about the virtues of this forum and its members, by 7.50pm you were condemning the forum.:confused:

Some of us have a life away from a computer and have only now turned them on.

sunspot
25-08-2011, 20:09
Bye then,sorry the forum not for you

Leam_Lin
25-08-2011, 20:12
Don't throw your teddies out of the pram.

Margaretta
25-08-2011, 20:23
She Sells Seashells, it is not all negative at all but there have been and are some agitators and there always will be in a huge number of people.
Your first post was lovely to read but it didn't really require a reply; I read it as a positive statement. It really just prompted an acknowledgement with the thanks button.
Over the years I have taken notice of all the decent people who have offered help and advice, created laughter, sympathised and they have been in the majority. The grouchers may have engendered some supporters but they have also got a bit of an 'ear-bashing' from all of us who have felt strongly thus creating many posts to those threads.
A lot of people are on holiday at the moment and maybe the grouchers are the ones who are not??? Haha! Margaretta's weird logic in play here!:crazy:
Now your second post on this thread is negative and prompts me to want to answer. Don't bother with the negative threads. They are unhelpful. You only started your thread at 17:00hrs today. Since then I've cooked tea, phoned a friend, done some housework, washed up etc. I'm sure many others have been doing the same. Not much time to read the Forum until now, mid evening, so you haven't yet had many acknowledgements. I'm sure there are more to come.

She Sells Seashells
25-08-2011, 20:25
Seems to me the last three replies are leaping to conclusions, and demonstrate a mob mentality. I don't do abuse or mob mentality or bullying. They are an attempt to marginalise a legitimate comment and sorry, you don't get to do that.

Perhaps it would be useful to reiterate that my post was made with best of intentions?

At the risk of further abuse, my comments have to do with this forum concerned about Tenerife, and are not aimed at nor concern anyone who does not live here. I am absolutely uninterested in negative comments from people who don't live here. With respect, please participate in a forum concerned with where you live.

If anyone with a stake in Tenerife would like to respond about how this forum has affected or changed their lives, it would be useful to hear. Hope it's for the better, but if not, it would probably be instructive nevertheless.

Added after 2 minutes:

She Sells Seashells, it is not all negative

Thanks Margaretta - just wanted you to know we cross-posted and your post was not included in my last reply. Your sentiments are taken as intended. Thanks for your contribution, much appreciated.

Ecky Thump
25-08-2011, 20:42
She Sea Shells, you are now setting guidelines for who should post a reply to a thread that you started, it appears that you only want to hear from certain people, who live in a particular place and share your views. You seem to me to be taking a very high and mighty attitude as a fellow forum member with no more or less rights than any one else.:(

She Sells Seashells
25-08-2011, 20:51
She Sea Shells, you are now setting guidelines for who should post a reply to a thread that you started, it appears that you only want to hear from certain people, who live in a particular place and share your views. You seem to me to be taking a very high and mighty attitude as a fellow forum member with no more or less rights than any one else.:(

You are correct, in this thread under 'General Tenerife Chat', I am only interested in hearing from people who have a stake in Tenerife. I don't however expect them to share my views - that would really be asking the impossible. Not to mention it would not be half as interesting either.

You ascribe an attitude to me which is wrong, and a belief about what I think are my rights, which is also wrong.

If you have nothing to contribute to the topic of the thread, then perhaps you have something better to do elsewhere?

As posted earlier, I don't do bullying. So leave me alone.

pablo1
25-08-2011, 20:52
Glad you have recieved so much help from our forum SSS, seems a shame to repay it with an over generalisation of why people may/may not have responded.

sunspot
25-08-2011, 20:55
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear..........................very sad

Ecky Thump
25-08-2011, 21:00
You are correct, in this thread under 'General Tenerife Chat', I am only interested in hearing from people who have a stake in Tenerife. I don't however expect them to share my views - that would really be asking the impossible. Not to mention it would not be half as interesting either.

You ascribe an attitude to me which is wrong, and a belief about what I think are my rights, which is also wrong.

If you have nothing to contribute to the topic of the thread, then perhaps you have something better to do elsewhere?
As posted earlier, I don't do bullying. So leave me alone.

The initial topic of the thread was that there are members of this forum who have been very helpful to you and I thanked you for acknowledging this. YOU then changed the topic and to this I replied with my views, as is my right as a forum member.

sunspot
25-08-2011, 21:02
And every member as a right to answer your thread if they want and every right not to

cainaries
25-08-2011, 21:28
On a hunch, I checked and I joined the forum a year and a day ago. I was reflecting on the influence the forum has had on my life in that time. When I joined, we were waiting to exchange contracts on our house in the UK and move here, and had no dates for either. Since then.....

Any number of people offered advice and encouragement, among them cainaries, ShirleyAnnb a/k/a Pets@home now, and Young Golfer.

We found a house to rent for 6 months via Doreen Quinn. We found the house we bought at the price we were willing to pay via CIM. Doreen (just 'Doreen') gave us the name of a very good English-speaking lawyer.

We needed alterations to the house, so luckily Apollo announced a discount on Carpenter's services early in the year, and he finished off my kitchen as well as put in a closet so I can now hang my clothes. Apollo has also had a lot of good info which helped us to get our dogs settled.

We also met a new friend who hails from the other end of Africa like OH does - that's Chris P Bacon.

So, it's not all fun, games and slanging matches. This forum has really been useful!

Thank you so much for giving me credit with whatever it was that I did a year ago (my memory is not what it was). I have had loads and loads of help from this Forum and the previous one and I am always grateful to everyone on here for their help, support and advice.

Although we might all like to think we live in Paradise this isn't actually quite true. (Well OH thinks it is but he doesn't get out much). Hence a thread which asks why some of the people we interact with can be a bit grouchy. But I certainly didn't get the impression the OP of that thread was complaining about the Forum or forum members being negative. I thought he was talking about, picking examples at random, people at the Ayuntamiento, or the ITV, or may be the Centro de Salud or even just a shop. But not us on here. I thought. ....

pablo1
25-08-2011, 21:28
Well after such a reasonable response it would be rude for me to not comment on the subject at hand.
I joined the original forum in 2007 ( I think ) after leaving Tenerife where i'd lived for 10 years in 2005.
I found it quite by accident, but was made up with what I had discovered, and although not an avid poster it does play a part in my everyday life nowadays due to how easy it is to catch up on stuff via phone, laptop etc.
I've had my ups and downs, been naughty, been banned, been helped, been helpful ( i'd like to think ) and all in all i'm glad i've been a member.
As for it changing my life for the better? Well if I still lived there I have no doubt that I would be using the forum for benificial reasons, there are so many people willing to help that a couple of misfits can easily be ignored.
I hope you've settled into life over there now, it truly is a wonderful place to live.
Hope this helps. :-)

Ian55
25-08-2011, 21:33
Why oh Why has this turned into from what was a very positive Thread, has now slipped down into the gutter,Whilst appreciating every one has an opinion SSS there is no call for some of the post's, I think that in view of this it is better if it's closed, should the OP want it re-opened then please conntact one of the Moderating Team

Thanks

slodgedad
25-08-2011, 23:35
I am totally baffled with this thread. Sorry for my late reply, I've been off line.