PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an old and battered item that you just can't throw away?

Suej
25-08-2011, 18:00
Noooo!!! I donīt mean the OH!

I have just congratulated myself on throwing away a non-stick saucepan bought in Ikea probably well over 10 years ago! it had hardly any non-stick coating left but somehow still did the job and seemed the right size for everything! it took 3 attempts to bin it as each time I would grab it back and restore it to itīs proper place in the kitchen cupboardrolleyes2: Anyway itīs gone now! anyone else keep things that are well past the chuck away date? :spin:

9PLUS
25-08-2011, 18:01
What a thread

x

Suej
25-08-2011, 18:03
What a thread

x

Riveting ay 9plus! :tongue:

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 18:05

I have just congratulated myself on throwing away a non-stick saucepan bought in Ikea probably well over 10 years ago! it had hardly any non-stick coating left but somehow still did the job and seemed the right size for everything! it took 3 attempts to bin it as each time I would grab it back and restore it to itīs proper place in the kitchen cupboardrolleyes2: Anyway itīs gone now! anyone else keep things that are well past the chuck away date? :spin:

You must have meant me then Suej - because as I was reading the title thread I WAS thinking of the OH!!! ;) I mean he is old and I have battered him!! :)

Give me a while and I'll come up with something sensible. :)

Ed3229
25-08-2011, 18:05
Yes the wife............Only kidding..........I have an old tabacco tin that i've had for years and I left it in a cafe once and was lost without it so I phoned the cafe(who had put it in the bin) got them to get it out then went back to get it........

Goforgold
25-08-2011, 18:09
You must have meant me then Suej - because as I was reading the title thread I WAS thinking of the OH!!! ;) I mean he is old and I have battered him!! :)

Give me a while and I'll come up with something sensible. :)

Nope can't think of anything!! It's usually men that can't throw things away isn't it? Well this has been the case with the men I've known. :)

Added after 4 minutes:

Yes the wife............Only kidding..........I have an old tabacco tin that i've had for years and I left it in a cafe once and was lost without it so I phoned the cafe(who had put it in the bin) got them to get it out then went back to get it........

Well if you're talking about losing favourite things - I did leave my most favourite woollen bobble hat in a cafe in Bath - never did find another that didn't make me look a plonker!! :(

bonitatime
25-08-2011, 18:35
No I think not but mainly because my OH encourages me to throw things away.

cainaries
25-08-2011, 18:57
A whole house full, Suej. OK you won't let me include OH! Even so, still masses of things. You've inspired me to have a bit of a sort out. I just can't ever bear to throw away books, that's part of the problem. And plenty of them are old and battered. We've got lots of old bits of kitchen equipment like a liquidiser with no lid and a juicer that's missing the squeezer part at the top and cracked dustpans ... not one of them any use. You've given me a task for tomorrow which is a very good thing and OH will be thrilled to see the back of some of these items. Except the ones which are his, of course.

ali marshall
25-08-2011, 19:01
On the twins bed is a teddy,its not a favourite teddy,it has proberly lost 70% of its filling,got one eye now,been patched up about 4 times,and ditched,dare not wash it as i think it would fall apart lol.Son keeps saying put it in the bin mum but i just have not got the heart to do it.

I rember buying it one year when my son did good at school,told him he could pick anything and thats what he wanted.If i had a loft the teddy would of been put there years ago but for now he still sits on the bed .

warbey
25-08-2011, 19:06
When We moved to a smaller House 9 months ago, We had to discard quite a lot.
Furniture Clothing and bric a brac.

I threw some more out the other day and wondered why I had taken the trouble
to carry it here to start with

It grieved Me most to discard 3.000 Slides Projector and Screen. (Last used about 2005.)
Still grieving about 3k Memories gone though.

wen53
26-08-2011, 01:50
I have an old ironing board thay my mother in law gave me when I first started living together with my OH (16 years ago), it used to be hers (think it was a wedding present in 1965) it still has an asbestos bit for the iron to sit on. It's still sturdy, doesn't wobble or collapse so why get rid?
I do admit to buying a new cover now and then for it though.

TheBloke
26-08-2011, 02:00
True memories are in your head.....:D

Goforgold
26-08-2011, 08:45
A whole house full, Suej. OK you won't let me include OH! Even so, still masses of things. You've inspired me to have a bit of a sort out. I just can't ever bear to throw away books, that's part of the problem. And plenty of them are old and battered. We've got lots of old bits of kitchen equipment like a liquidiser with no lid and a juicer that's missing the squeezer part at the top and cracked dustpans ... not one of them any use. You've given me a task for tomorrow which is a very good thing and OH will be thrilled to see the back of some of these items. Except the ones which are his, of course.

Well, one problem solved for the future C&A, when your Kindle finally deems to arrive on your doorstep you won't have any books to throw away !!! :)

Added after 3 minutes:

Not when you get to my age TB !! ............:old:

cainaries
26-08-2011, 10:56

But where in my head, that's the question. That's a bit old as well (not battered, tg).

Malteser Monkey
26-08-2011, 14:38

I did the exact same thing about 3 weeks ago and replaced it with a nice new one !

Added after 2 minutes:

and the closet !:D

Margaretta
26-08-2011, 21:44
Loads of stuff. Friends keep threatening to come in when we are away and to get rid of lots of china jugs, plates and ornaments. They find me incorrigible.
Books, commemorative coronation and royal wedding magazines and newspapers and a very old comfortable cardie and my wedding dress which I hated.

chifleta
26-08-2011, 23:40
My apartment it too small to collect too much "stuff", which can only be a good thing.

I do have 2 bags of clothes and a couple of pairs of shoes that I no longer need (2 year diet made them redundant LOL), ready to go to charity shop, it's just that I never seem to get round to it, plus I don't drive, so have to keep remembering to get OH to take it to Silencio for me... anyone that's a larger lady give me a shout if you want them before I finally get round to remembering to go :) size 18-22 clothes, size 41 shoes.

The only "tattered-old" thing I have is The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies book that i've had since I was veryyyyy young, must be 38 years or so.... but i'm not throwing that out :nono: