PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed time off work for a medical appointment in Tenerife?

judetenerife
25-08-2011, 20:23
does anybody know on how the law stands for essential medical appointments during working hours. Are you entitled to go to medical appointments without either taking holidays, losing pay etc. Im referring to a couple of hours away not the whole day. If you are not entitled then can you get a baja for the day? thanks xx

chifleta
25-08-2011, 22:30
you would need to get a "justificante" from your doctor to prove you were at the doctors appointment... but with the contracts/bosses etc over here, it's anyones guess if they play the nasty card (i was being extremely polite there) and dock wages or holiday day, though i'm sure legally they can't do it, over here bosses seem to make their own rules unfortunately..... bajas are normally for 3 or 4 days minimum.....

judetenerife
25-08-2011, 23:08
thanks for the reply. nobody has tried to dock wages, take holiday etc, im just making sure i know my rights just incase. i do have justificantes as well as a mountain of other dated docs

doreen
26-08-2011, 13:47
does anybody know on how the law stands for essential medical appointments during working hours. Are you entitled to go to medical appointments without either taking holidays, losing pay etc. Im referring to a couple of hours away not the whole day. If you are not entitled then can you get a baja for the day? thanks xx

Yes, you can attend a Social Seguridad doctor during working hours and need to produce a Justificante that will be filled out by the doctor proving you were there - obviously if your appointment is at 10am and is local you would be expected to be back at work within a reasonable time, not say 2pm .... doesn't apply for a private doctor as you can usually make an appointment for outside working hours