PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat My westie has brown paws...

Pets@Home
26-08-2011, 13:07
Hi I am looking after a Westie for 4 months for his Quarantine and cant seem to get his paws white no matter how many baths he has or how much I scrub them. The owner is puzzled too, so if anyone knows of a solution would love to hear it as it spoils his appearance, please see attached after just being bathed and blow dryed ....... the paws are distinct ............

londonjimmy
26-08-2011, 14:11
Is it possible thats his natural colour? You can see some of it in shades on his body too! If not some finger painting will do the trick! haha! :O)

jewels
26-08-2011, 14:31
Both of Maltese are the same,well actually one has a brown beard and the other has the staining on the paws.Someone told me that it was the dye in food and then when they groom themselves the colour transfers.

uptowngirl
26-08-2011, 14:31
On the horses, I used to use an old product called RICKETTS BLUE, or 'blue bag' like a rinse to whiten up washing...no idea where you would buy it though........................... also, saddlers sell chalk powder, best method is to liberally apply when coat is wet/damp, then once dry, dust off the excess chalk

Jollypolly
26-08-2011, 14:39
Hi I am looking after a Westie for 4 months for his Quarantine and cant seem to get his paws white no matter how many baths he has or how much I scrub them. The owner is puzzled too, so if anyone knows of a solution would love to hear it as it spoils his appearance, please see attached after just being bathed and blow dry
ed ....... the paws are distinct ............

Hi, We have had West Highland Terriers for years. A tip which was passed onto us was to bathe the stained hair
with lemon juice... the juice has a bleaching affect. It will not remove it completely but it will lighten it. It can
also be used on the beard area near the mouth which also stains with the saliva. The lemon juice will not cause
any problems, although the dog might not like the taste! This solution is not instant, you have to do it
regularly to see any improvement.

WeeJake
26-08-2011, 14:47
Hi, Iīve had a westie for twelve years and his feet are consistently brown. Itīs caused by his saliva when heīs cleaning or chewing his paws. My wee man even has it around his eye at the moment because he has Dry Eye and we have to bath his eye daily and apply artificial tears. Itīs a common problem. However, many years ago I had a white English Bull Terrier Show Dog. and to keep him white we used to apply a special chalk that you could buy in various pet shops in the UK. It really brought his coat up brilliantly. However, be warned, westies are not quite so robust and their prone to the dreaded Westie Itch so apply sparingly.

Goforgold
26-08-2011, 17:25
I had a Westie for 17 years and I'd always wondered why she had a brown mouth and beard :) They are fantastic dogs and so intelligent.

cainaries
26-08-2011, 18:11
I met an adorable Westie at the vet's today. I was admiring her and her owner said .. look, she has these little brown paws, I don't know why that is, she used to be pure white. I asked where she came from and the woman said 'Scotland' so I said, yes, I know, but where did you get her from and she gave me a look and said 'Scotland'. Wonder how she managed that with no English and the breeder presumably speaking no Spanish. If I ever meet up with her again, I'll tell her about the possible theory of why her dog had brown paws.

atlantico
26-08-2011, 19:22
get a brown Westie . . . . problem solved !

caroletenerife
26-08-2011, 19:39
people who show rabbits use 'cornflour' to make them look whiter, i have no idea if this would work with a dog, just thought id throw my two pennies worth in:D

Pets@Home
26-08-2011, 23:37
people who show rabbits use 'cornflour' to make them look whiter, i have no idea if this would work with a dog, just thought id throw my two pennies worth in:D

Or Talc ......

caroletenerife
26-08-2011, 23:42
Or Talc ......
he would smell so nice noone would notice the feet xxx

Andy0210
26-08-2011, 23:50
Chuck him in a paddling pool of bleach!!! That should sort him ;)

I think i need an eye test i read the topic of this thread as my Westie has grown paws! :rolleyes:

Goforgold
27-08-2011, 16:06
Chuck him in a paddling pool of bleach!!! That should sort him ;)

I think i need an eye test i read the topic of this thread as my Westie has grown paws! :rolleyes:

Get to SpecSavers quick!!! :)