PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Forum Virtual Flight Radar ADS-B & Ship AIS receiver thread

Vortex Wake
26-08-2011, 13:16
As many of us know, sites like www.planefinder.net and www.flightradar24.com (planefinder app and flightradar24 app for iPhone and Android) provide a fascinating real-time view of commercial airline flights around the world.

Since data is transmitted DIRECTLY from the aircraft to private individual receiver ground stations, it can be the most accurate way of determining the progress of the plane i.e. if you are waiting to pick someone up ate the airport.

Unfortunately for Tenerife, we have to rely on a ground receiver station located in Gran Canaria for partial coverage (above about 8,000 feet) of Tenerife (via flightradar24).

Kinetic Avionics has now released a new stand alone (PC free) receiver that connects directly to your router - the SBS-3.

With a suitable location with this equipment, on the south of Tenerife, it would be possible to 'view' aircraft at ground level at Tenerife South Airport networked across the internet.

The SBS-3 also covers marine AIS - meaning commercial shipping movements can be viewed too.

So, who is up for this challenge?

http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-8f59-4ed6.jpg

Vortex Wake
07-09-2011, 16:30
Tragic aircraft accident in Yaroslavl, Russia. This is the flight just before the crash http://www.flightradar24.com/2011-09-07/09:32/AKY9634

Squawk 7700 (general emergency). AP-BHW (Pakistan International Airlines B773) from Lahore to Manchester http://www.flightradar24.com/2011-09-07/13:15/PIA709

BBC : ''Bomb threat grounds Pakistan-UK plane in Turkey'
Breaking news

A Boeing 777 passenger jet bound for the UK from Pakistan has been forced to land in Turkey following a bomb threat, Turkish state media say.

The Pakistan International Airlines plane landed at the International Ataturk airport in Istanbul, aviation officials were quoted as saying.

The crew were reportedly made aware of the threat while flying over Bulgaria and turned back to Istanbul.

Flight PK709, carrying 378 passengers, was bound for Manchester, reports said.

The state-run Anatolia news agency said sniffer dogs were checking the plane.'

BobMac
07-09-2011, 16:40
Came across this in a magazine, it does for ships what the others do for planes

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Vortex Wake
07-09-2011, 16:57
Came across this in a magazine, it does for ships what the others do for planes

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Yes :) Or try this one (not so good on Tenerife coverage) http://shipfinder.co/

Added after 23 minutes:

Just an update on my opening post........................

Announcing the SBS-3

PAST – PRESENT – FUTURE

3 Receivers in one box.

ADS-B / AIS / Marine band / Air bands (VHF and UHF)
Multi-Device - Multi-Band - Multi Channel Software Defined Radio Receiver / Decoder

So, the SBS3 allows Airband radio streaming, Aircraft 'radar' streaming and Shipping 'radar' streaming via direct Ethernet connection without the need for a host computer - the unit is stand alone. The unit requires less than 5 watts of power.

So who do we have located in the south of Tenerife near (ish) to the airport, to host this unit and thus allow the world to view aircraft and shipping movements around Tenerife ?

balababe
07-09-2011, 20:37
Hi, Vortex Wake - I was following my partner's flight on flightradar24 - from Liverpool to TFS with Ryanair. When over the Channel, it disappeared. Searches said it was not active! Have you any idea why?- I was glad when the flight actually arrived.

Vortex Wake
07-09-2011, 20:50
Hi, Vortex Wake - I was following my partner's flight on flightradar24 - from Liverpool to TFS with Ryanair. When over the Channel, it disappeared. Searches said it was not active! Have you any idea why?- I was glad when the flight actually arrived.

balababe , the display data you view on screen is transmitted from the actual aircraft to whoever cares to receive (ground stations) and network it via the internet to flightradar24 or planefinder.net etc.
These ground station receivers are simply private individuals who thus can turn their receivers on or off - hence no coverage across the channel or no coverage below 8,000 feet into Tenerife south airport.:)

Pooh
07-09-2011, 20:56

Since it flightradar24 relies on private individual receiver ground stations for what it can show, it probably just went out of reach for any who have such a station and is connected to flightradar24... what VW is asking for someone to provide in the south of Tenerife, since coverage is spotty there.

Santiago
07-09-2011, 23:07
Occasionally there are some strange reports from aircraft that cannot possibly be correct. Today there was a Ryanair flight going south off the coast Africa which stated that he was going from Brussels to Dublin - obviously the long way round!

Vortex Wake
07-09-2011, 23:12
Occasionally there are some strange reports from aircraft that cannot possibly be correct. Today there was a Ryanair flight going south off the coast Africa which stated that he was going from Brussels to Dublin - obviously the long way round!

Yes, that is simply down to flight crew not setting the data correctly.

Sometimes you may see a flight at 0ft altitude over the sea !

karinagal
08-09-2011, 09:35

We've seen similar anomalies - easyjet flights en route from Milan to Rome!!!! :p

BobMac
08-09-2011, 15:04
Announcing the SBS-3

PAST – PRESENT – FUTURE

3 Receivers in one box.

ADS-B / AIS / Marine band / Air bands (VHF and UHF)
Multi-Device - Multi-Band - Multi Channel Software Defined Radio Receiver / Decoder

So, the SBS3 allows Airband radio streaming, Aircraft 'radar' streaming and Shipping 'radar' streaming via direct Ethernet connection without the need for a host computer - the unit is stand alone. The unit requires less than 5 watts of power.

So who do we have located in the south of Tenerife near (ish) to the airport, to host this unit and thus allow the world to view aircraft and shipping movements around Tenerife ?

Showed this to my mate who's seriously into plane spotting and his comments were

Basically, most of the contents of the receiver are complete rubbish and it’s only the Mode_S/ADS/B content that’s worth having.

You still need an aerial to receive the signals and if you live in Las Americas or Los Cristianos or for that matter anywhere behind a hill, you won’t pick up anything the other side of it.

Mode_S & ADS/B (which is the vital piece of kit & only jet airliners in the main are fitted with it) is line of sight, so unless the aircraft is flying high enough to beam the signal over the hill, you won’t see it.

Vortex Wake
08-09-2011, 17:03
Showed this to my mate who's seriously into plane spotting and his comments were

Basically, most of the contents of the receiver are complete rubbish and it’s only the Mode_S/ADS/B content that’s worth having.

You still need an aerial to receive the signals and if you live in Las Americas or Los Cristianos or for that matter anywhere behind a hill, you won’t pick up anything the other side of it.

Mode_S & ADS/B (which is the vital piece of kit & only jet airliners in the main are fitted with it) is line of sight, so unless the aircraft is flying high enough to beam the signal over the hill, you won’t see it.

Thanks for that BobMac. I got my radio amateurs licence ( A and B) in the 1980's and have been into radio/airband scanning even longer - so I do know about radio propagation and antenna at Ghz frequencies :)

Yes, it is normally only commercial airliners who have Mode S / ADS/B . Yes, reception is normally line of sight - that means a theoretical range of 200 miles (until the curvature of the earth, or a hill impends the signal).

The ability to receive ship AIS and Airband is a welcome addition to this all-in-one equipment - certainly not 'complete rubbish'. Coastguard rescue use AIS transponders including the helicopter rescue.

If to look at the coverage of Tenerife on flightradar24, you will see that the receiving station on Gran Canaria provides good coverage of the island (Tenerife) down to about 8,000ft, for aircraft going into into TFS from the west - a station located near to, or overlooking TFS would provide the missing information and ground movements on the airport taxiways.

The reason why this new receiver is so different, is because it can operate without a PC - it serves itself.

BobMac
08-09-2011, 20:06
My mate's comments were based on a review he had read in a magazine recently.

He has a system which does this on his computer and is seriously looking for a system which is freestanding like this one but the review put him off.

Vortex Wake
08-09-2011, 20:14
My mate's comments were based on a review he had read in a magazine recently.

He has a system which does this on his computer and is seriously looking for a system which is freestanding like this one but the review put him off.

Bob, the only review on this unit was on a pre production unit - I read the same article :)

warbey
08-09-2011, 20:20
Bob, the only review on this unit was on a pre production unit - I read the same article :)

An old saying..

A little information is better than none at all.

perhaps a Location in Gomera would be even better..?.

Vortex Wake
20-09-2011, 18:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98u1X02SZE&sns=em

Vortex Wake
22-01-2012, 16:40
Just found ' SBS3 review ' comes up as number one on Google :D

http://img.tapatalk.com/50074abc-2eb6-33da.jpg

Vortex Wake
13-03-2012, 23:33
Looks like we may have coverage down to a few feet at Tenerife south airport now - so can almost see planes touch down.

http://img.tapatalk.com/50074abc-cbfb-b866.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/50074abc-cc09-e84f.jpg