PDA

View Full Version : Football Irish Club makes début in Europa League for the first time

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 13:18
Shamrock Rovers last night, became the first Irish club to make it into the group stages of a European competition. Below is the equalising goal against Partisan Belgrade. Rovers eventually won 2-1. The Partisan Ultras (Grobari) gave the 40-50 travelling supporters a standing ovation at the final whistle. ( BTW, the goal below is a contender for goal of the season!!):wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfNq6JY_BE

CIM
26-08-2011, 13:55
They have just been placed in the same group as my Spurs :)
Should be some good games there!

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 14:06
Hi CIM, I thinkSpurs will top the group very easily. It would be a great achievement if Rovers won just one of their games. Btw, what did you think of the goal?

CIM
26-08-2011, 14:11
Hi CIM, I thinkSpurs will top the group very easily. It would be a great achievement if Rovers won just one of their games. Btw, what did you think of the goal?

Goal was very similar to one Danny Rose smacked in against Arsenal for us - amazing when they come off!
Spurs should win the group (more than capable of winning the whole competition) but it depends on the players we put out, we almost had an academy team last night and I think Redknapp will make the most of his squad in the Europa League. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see a weakened side get unlucky and get turned over away from home somewhere.
Perhaps if the winner of the Europa League got an automatic entry into the Champions League the season after, the bigger teams in the competition might take it a bit more seriously. As it stands, its a lot of effort for little reward. I am happy to watch my club play twice a week though :)

bonitatime
26-08-2011, 15:03
I saw this on the draw this morning. There are a lot if new teams which is great.

COL NIL SATIS
26-08-2011, 19:41
Best of luck to Shamrock rovers,nice to see them progress