PDA

View Full Version : Travel We would like advice about bring pets to Tenerife via the Cadiz ferry

monet208
26-08-2011, 14:26
Hi
Since one of the 2 cats would not survive a journey in an airplane hold we have looked at the only alternative which is the long ferry journey-after getting to cadiz !
Has anyone done the trip ??
If so where are the pets kept on board , is there unrestricted access to them etc
Thanks

timmylish
26-08-2011, 15:08
A couple of years ago we thought the same. Our Balinese was so nervous, aggresive and just downright crazy! Anyway, Mrs. T. had to go back to Chisinau for an operation and I was, at the time on the Peninsula working, she took our Timmy to the Vet on the morning, got injection to knock him out and 5 hours later I saved an Immigration Officer at Malaga from being mauled. The guy reckoned it was the one and only time he had been so scared of being scarred, for life! One year later the reverse trip and the cat is just getting ready to visit the vet just now for a six month check-up 'cause he,s now 12 years old!

jewels
26-08-2011, 15:17
We flew 2 cats to Alicante from Tenerife 2 years ago,we were worried but it was a far better option than the very long car journey.We did use the ferry coming back,but its not ideal,visiting is restricted and the pens are at the front of the car deck,our cats are quite old so they slept most of the time.

monet208
26-08-2011, 15:19
Thanks for these 2 replies
Afraid the plane route is out and being elderly cats so is the injection route

If anyone has experience of the cadiz to tenerife ferry it would be appreciated

jewels
26-08-2011, 15:25
We came back from Portimao in Portugal to Santa Cruz,open pens,restricted access to pets.I think the Cadiz kennels are inside and visiting is ok all the time.We used the tenerifw to Cadiz ferry but as I said earlier we flew the cats as we had a 7 hour drive at the other end,they were both old and handled the journey very well without any sedation.Good Luck,

KirstyJay
26-08-2011, 16:18
Have you also looked at the RMS St Helena? It comes direct to Tenerife from the UK and you can bring all your cargo and pets.

www.rms-st-helena.com

bonitatime
26-08-2011, 17:31
Have you also looked at the RMS St Helena? It comes direct to Tenerife from the UK and you can bring all your cargo and pets.

www.rms-st-helena.comSomeone told me recently they were giving up going to the UK so I am not sure if that Sept/Oct trip is their last.

Pets@Home
26-08-2011, 17:47
Hi
Since one of the 2 cats would not survive a journey in an airplane hold we have looked at the only alternative which is the long ferry journey-after getting to cadiz !
If so where are the pets kept on board , is there unrestricted access to them etc
Thanks

Hi you are getting needlessly stressed my love.
I had 5 cats and one Gt Dane flown in 2000. One of my cats were 18 years old the rest were 10, 8 and 6 years old.
They came off the plane like nothing had happened to them.
My recommendations.

You buy a clipper 3 cage, put both cats in there, will give them plenty of room, the hold is a temperature suited to animals and is sound proof, I recommend u put newspaper on the bottom and a thick towel on the top. Do not feed them 6 hours before flight. You must attach a drinking bowl to their cage, it is the airlines duty to fill it up once they are in place.
There is no access once they are booked in, its only a 4 hour trip. Takes one hour to clear the animal.
Do not recommend ferry, much too hard, heat, litter trays etc not worth it .............
I am sending 3 cats to the UK from Tenerife on the 16th September for my client, 2 will share a clipper 3 and one will have a clipper 3 all to his self. You must spray some cat nip on their towel which will relax them and make them feel good throughout the journey. P/M me if u need any more details, this is what I do for a living ...... Why will one not survive I dont understand, if the vet says it is fit to fly the day before I dont understand why not??????? my 18 year old cat lived for a further 2 years over here, the 10 year old died at 19, the 8 year old died at 17, and the 6 year old died at 15 ....

cainaries
26-08-2011, 18:17
Hi
Thanks
Did the person who told you the cat wouldn't survive the flight understand what the alternative is? We brought out 6 cats (which is another story). We used a wonderful intermediary service whose name I'm embarrassed to admit I've forgotten but I could look for it in the paperwork if you'd like me to. The morning the cats were due to leave our liaison person rang to say the vet was very worried about one of them but they had shipped her because we were already here and they couldn't see much alternative. I think they were just covering themselves in case she passed away in transit. When we went to collect them she gave me a really filthy look and sulked for a day. She lived here very happily for another six years.

timmylish
26-08-2011, 23:53
I apologise to the O/p but I think you are completely seeing this the wrong way round. Everyone knows animals get stressed, cats particularly, so reducing the amount of stress has to be good = reducing time and distance of travel = flying.