PDA

View Full Version : My travel report now we are back home.

e.t.v
26-08-2011, 15:35
well we are back home after a two week break.
Being honest i think 12 days would have been about the right length,but hey it was still enjoyable and staying away from the Los Americas area was a god send as i thought it was just a rip of,
unless your an 18-30 something and just want to be lead around like cattle drinking over priced watered down drinks and eating Mcdonadls type food (yuk) trying to get your end away with anything in a skirt.(brought back memories though)
where Los Christanos on the other hand was more multi cultruled with people from all areas of the globe,we teamed with a guy from Italy and his chinese wife and their daughter,a couple from Belfast,a Spanish couple from Madrid with their adopted chinese and isbekastan daughters,A Thai lady and her Swedish husband,family from Bolton (i think) ,some lovely Dutch girls and a couple from Germany.
Like i said we found a supermarket (macendo i think it was) thanks to the cleaners that they use and were getting really nice drinkable wine for as cheap as 60 cent(not euros).wife was very happy with the food wise both in the shops and eating out.
we have eaten and drunken far to much.
Loads of real designer shops kept the wife very happy.
Only down side for me was i fell for a common scam that happens in Hong Kong a lot but i was of my guard being in Tenerife,basically i went to buy a camera was shown and agreeded the price to a high spec camera only while paying i was ditracted where they added another 30 euros to my credit card bill and then changed the camera to a slighty lower spec model (same style etc but instead of 14 mega pixel with a x30 zoom lens i now have a 12 mega pixel and x15 zoom lens) of course i was caught up with something else in the shop and didnt notice untill back in the hotel much later in the day,well and truely shafted.I have to put it down to a life experience and to never let my guard down again.
Still apart from that a good holiday.
Oh one last winge I wouldnt fly with Ryan air again first and last time,I know when traveling to Thailand and the far east I am use to long haul comforts but having to scramble for a seat with kids in tow and then what they were trying to charge for in flight snacks was shocking and is a pretty bad show.

Margaretta
26-08-2011, 23:30
This was a lovely post. It really made me smile because you had an amazing cosmopolitan group of new acquaintances, enjoyed the shops and had a problem with buying your camera and Ryanair. This is pretty much the experience of so many of us but usually spread over a few holidays. So glad that you had fun and enjoyed it all and that you are so positive e.t.v. Hope that you'll be back again to explore more of the island; it is all very different at each compass point.

e.t.v
26-08-2011, 23:51
yes the camera thing did leave a bad taste in the mouth,in fairness though the guys at Visanta did warn me of as he descibed as Micky mouse shops.
But I was surprised at how much every thing had changed since my last visit,bearing in mind though that was twenty odd years ago.
I was also surprised at how many Russian and eastern europeon people now have buisnesses there.
It is also tempting to become a villa owner but i would like to see Gran canaria and Lanzarote again as well as main land Spain.

e.t.v
10-09-2011, 10:26
Just an update.
Today i recieved my credit card bill,to my utter horror my card has been cloned and has been used to buy 1st class flights on BA,a suite in a hotel and ordering spending money to name a few.
now im not sure what the rules are on name and shame here,but i hadnt used the card since buying the camera where i was ripped of.
If you want to know the shop to avoid then please feel free to private message me,unless a question for the modscan I openly tell you all on the forum?

balababe
10-09-2011, 10:55
Sorry to hear about that, e.t.v. I suppose it happens anywhere, but it is not good for Tenerife. I hope you can name and shame on the forum. If not, I will p.m. you, as it is good to know. I usually avoid all Asian shops, although I am sure not all of them run scams. Once I chose a camera and was told they would bring it in tomorrow - obviously I did not go back, as I presumed the new one would not be the same as the one in the window. In another Asian shop, I bought a watch (ten years ago) which was cheap and the real thing, as we found out when it was sent for repair. So it varies. Again, sorry about your experience - Tenerife is a wonderful place, please come back.

TOTO 99
10-09-2011, 10:55
If your card has been used for that sort of stuff then there must surely be a name on the tickets etc? Shouldn't take much catching.

e.t.v
10-09-2011, 11:03
If your card has been used for that sort of stuff then there must surely be a name on the tickets etc? Shouldn't take much catching.
Im hoping so ,i nearly fell through the floor when i opened the bill this morning

TOTO 99
10-09-2011, 11:07
Also, seeing as nobody else is reading this.:D I'd add the camera to the list of things you didn't purchase...lol..

e.t.v
10-09-2011, 12:23
the camera ive put down as a learning curb,as its hard to prove it was switched on me and i dont think it would make much difference to the credit card company as the reciept only shows the ampount paid,another lesson learnt as well double check the reciept even if you are in the holiday swing of things.

Fred Perry
10-09-2011, 14:17
I think you should name and shame the shop involved in the credit card scam. Better than saying "avoid all Asian shops" as someone put.

As for the rest of your report; nice to see a mixed cosmpolitan crowd in Los Cristianos from all corners of the globe. The Bolton one suprised me the most.

Ryan-Air does a job and gets you from A to B. Take your own food on board with you, I always do (although last nights Garlic chicken from the Chicken Shack does not usuallly go down well with other passengers). Buy water at a dispenser before you get on the plane (1.20 - 1.50).

The South of Tenerife has to try and cater for all types. Depends what you are looking for in a holiday really. People in the know will take a look at the Tenerife Forum and get a good idea from here.

VideoMem
10-09-2011, 15:09
I think you should name and shame the shop involved in the credit card scam. Better than saying "avoid all Asian shops" as someone put.

I agree the name should be published on the forum:devil:

anto3
10-09-2011, 16:30
Well you said 12 days are enough. I am a month in Holland and i think i will never get back to Tenerife. Rain all the time. 20 euro for a main course. Honest we do not know how lucky we are with the prices. Paid 3 euro for water with gas and it was a tiny bottle. As for Ryanair if i did not book with them i would have paid 400 per flight instead of 200. And nobody makes you buy food on a flight. cannot remember the last time i bought food on there flight. As for buying camera i would only buy in Maya in las america. Roll on next week back the sun sea and cheap living.

Jimandsi
10-09-2011, 21:36
Just an update.
Today i recieved my credit card bill,to my utter horror my card has been cloned and has been used to buy 1st class flights on BA,a suite in a hotel and ordering spending money to name a few.
now im not sure what the rules are on name and shame here,but i hadnt used the card since buying the camera where i was ripped of.
If you want to know the shop to avoid then please feel free to private message me,unless a question for the modscan I openly tell you all on the forum?

Don't want to frighten you, but it might be worth taking out some insurance against identity theft, just in case.

Sorry to hear about your dreadful experience.

e.t.v
10-09-2011, 22:54
the identity ftheft has gotten me worried now as i have no idea where this will lead to.
As for naming the shop i would but im not sure if it would bring me or the forum into a liable suit ,would like a mods view

marbro8
10-09-2011, 23:11
the identity theft has gotten me worried now as i have no idea where this will lead to.
As for naming the shop i would but i'm not sure if it would bring me or the forum into a liable suit ,would like a mods viewlive dangerously mate name and shame, at the end of the day the shop are full of rip off merchants and i would see it as my duty to warn people not to fall into their trap;)

timmylish
11-09-2011, 00:57
Here we go again. For the last two or three years similar instances of theft, fraud or whatever by Asian shops on Tenerife are reported to this Forum and every time those who have the ability to publicly denounce or affect their existence is frowned upon by the masses of members of this Forum. Every time I have made suggestions as to how to tackle this problem or at least make the tourists aware of the possibilities of being robbed it is pooh poohed as being unfare to the straight Asian shops, who, incidentally do nothing themselves to solve the problem. So, year after year, we shall hear of similar tales, people will come on here offering their commiserations and say all the nice proper things and the whole thing will blow over in a few days. I await next years offerings and reactions.

AL JAY
11-09-2011, 01:29
I totally agree Timmy this shop or any others like it should be named and shamed!

e.t.v
11-09-2011, 09:43
can some one tell who the chief mod is so i can send them a private message?

Ecky Thump
11-09-2011, 10:02

I don't know about being the "Chief" mods, but Slodgedad and Mrs TT are always on the ball.

Thats not to say that the other mods aren't.;)

Tom
11-09-2011, 13:49
1st class flights on BA,a suite in a hotel and ordering spending money to name a few.

Just out of interest where was the flight and hotel destination ?

e.t.v
11-09-2011, 14:29
i dont have the flight destitination only what the credit card company told me, the hotel i belive is hotel marina suites

Jimandsi
11-09-2011, 21:27

Suggest you try doreen

e.t.v
13-09-2011, 07:37
ok this may sound a bit vague but what with all this liable nonsense going on.If I said avoid a shop to the right of the Parque santiago 3 hotel front entrance, which has a very visable sign above the door which is a well known japenesse electrical brand s**y.
then i think you will all know which one im on about so will be able to use your judgment and we have stayed legal.

Tom
13-09-2011, 10:38
Parque santiago 3 hotel front entrance

DeedeeTipperary
13-09-2011, 11:23
i dont have the flight destitination only what the credit card company told me, the hotel i belive is hotel marina suites
They have got good taste then , We stayed in the Marina Suites in Puerto Rico , lovely hotel .
Not so nice for you though , this is making me very nervous about using my credit card . Mind you it nearly went up in flames all by itself after my recent trip to Tenerife:laugh:

El Viento
13-09-2011, 12:44
Is this first finally successful name&shame thread ever, ever? :mexicanwave2:

Keep it coming people!

And remember don't be too precise so it could be posted here ;)

Tom
13-09-2011, 13:56
Is this first finally successful name&shame thread ever, ever? :mexicanwave2:

Keep it coming people!

And remember don't be too precise so it could be posted here ;)

It has not been proven that this was the place that the cloning took place , but forearmed is forewarned .

e.t.v
13-09-2011, 16:00
The are two shops with that brand above the entrance/window im on about the second but your in the right area.
As for not being proved well as the card hadnt been used for over a month before going to Tenerife and was only used in this shop the duration of our stay and hasnt been used in the UK since our return it prove enough for me.

Chicharrera
13-09-2011, 16:17
Yes I think it should be named too so that other "honest"shop owners don't suffer the consequences an bad press from these conners!!!

Tom
13-09-2011, 17:46
As for not being proved well as the card hadnt been used for over a month before going to Tenerife and was only used in this shop the duration of our stay and hasnt been used in the UK since our return it prove enough for me.

I think you may be right.

TOTO 99
13-09-2011, 19:56
Ok guys. Let's get this straight. someone is convinced that they were ripped off by someone. Then they post a description of where this might have taken place. someone else posts a photo of where it might have happened. In the meantime someone else might be being ripped off.. so here's the deal. Please feel free to post that you've just had a message from TOTO 99 that the name of the place was _ _ _ _ _ _ _. I will be happy to stand trial at the libel case. Trust me, I've had worse..

e.t.v
14-09-2011, 07:40
just had a message from TOTO 99 that the name of the place was video sonic

El Viento
14-09-2011, 11:06
Could we have sticky thread called NAMED&SHAMED please?

It would save so much money and stress from honest people.

Leam_Lin
14-09-2011, 12:26
Could we have sticky thread called NAMED&SHAMED please?

It would save so much money and stress from honest people.

Thats a great idea.

timmylish
14-09-2011, 14:51
Since I,m one of the loudest voices on the whole issue of the Asian shops here I feel that I should stress that care must be taken. Not good enough with some rant about this shop and that shop charging more than you can get in the UK etc etc.
For example the information supplied by the O/p here clearly indicates that the shop in question has been involved in unscrupulous practices, worthy of prosecution and that must be the basis upon which "Naming & Shaming" is conducted. I think that the Forum, per se cannot be seen to being the instigator and therefor it must be rank & file members who write their own experiences, without support or encouragement from the Forum so, please don,t seek the assistance of the Mods!

e.t.v
14-09-2011, 16:50
I think i would of been more on my guard though if per say the were a general warning of some scrupious (spelt wrong yes) goings on in certain types of shops and as always buyer beware.
years a go we warned about similiar goings on in Hong Kong,but that was on a buisness trip being in Holiday mood it all went with the wind. Yes I should of known better ,but its the first time ever my credit card details have been in short stolen.

Freedoddy20
19-09-2011, 20:04
Hi all! :-)

I'm a new user and this is my first post. Ironic that my first comment is on a subject that was common- even back in 2006! I had an experience with one, although no money changed hands, which cost me quite a few hours of my time on holiday. As a result, I never go anywhere near electrical stores and have warned many others of the pitfalls in the past. I think it's a shame that these places are still commonplace in the canaries even today. The fault must lie with local regulations...ie, they are aware of these scams but choose to do nothing about them. Sad but true!

Sorry you were hoodwinked e.t.v. But these people have had years of practice of dealing with people whilst their guards are down! :-(

e.t.v
24-09-2011, 12:38
quick update,after a phone call with the credit card company and two text messages and the promise of a letter in the post as extra confirmation, my credit card has been reinstated with the full amount that was stolen from my account.they can not do any thing about the camera scam but i wasnt expecting them to.
A big phew just waiting for the next statement to arrive with the correct outstanding balance.

DeedeeTipperary
24-09-2011, 19:41
Glad to hear that e.t.v :) An expensive lesson to learn . So sorry you had this bad luck
regards Deedee

Sylla
24-09-2011, 22:18
e.t.v. Regarding the incident with the camera , you should have reported it to the Tenerife trading standards .....We had a similar experience and the manageress where we were staying ( Sunset Bay) sorted it for us with the authorities , all we had to do was go back to the shop the next day , hand in the camera and collect our money .....we did get a bit of language abuse but that's all ! the next day we were going by the shop and once again they tried to get us in and were all smiles ...cheeky sods !!!! :ashamed::redcard::tongue:

It was not the shop you went to ...it was in Puerto Colon ,near the steps as you come down from the upper level ....

e.t.v
24-09-2011, 23:06
we had no idea hwere to turn to or how long it would of taken,wish id knew about the trading standards though.

Sylla
24-09-2011, 23:41
e.t.v. I don't think many tourists know that they can go to the Trading Standards and they are very strict.....It was another shop keeper that told us how to go about it (Canarian shop keeper) and he advised us to ask the manager in our resort , and she looked after the whole thing ! Then trading standards contacted the shop to tell them that they had to give us our money back !

Leam_Lin
25-09-2011, 08:11
Sylla, its probably the same shop that "Young Golfer" sorted out a similar problem for a couple not so long ago.

Its got quite a few frontages next to Hiperdino, underneath where Kitty O'sheas used to be.

e.t.v
25-09-2011, 10:03
so out of interest and for future reference for other people how do you contact the trading standards people or is best just to ask a spanish native speaker to call for you ?

Sylla
25-09-2011, 10:15
e.t.v. I would just ask at your resort .....or the Tenerife Tourist Office ....and they have a free phone ...here is the link , and this site is full of fantastic info ....

http://www.webtenerifeuk.co.uk/index.htm

Lin ...I think you are right ....I think the shop/shops were called "The professor"

cheery
25-09-2011, 11:00
It was not the shop you went to ...it was in Puerto Colon ,near the steps as you come down from the upper level ....

Although nothing on the same scale, had a problem with a shop close to these steps. Bought some batteries from here for my underwater camera. Swam across the bay and back taking a few pictures and moving images and batteries died. Went in to complain and all I got was a load of abuse from a young Asian saying I was trying to rip off his Uncle who was sat behind the counter. Had it been for a greater purchase I would have been a bit more forceful. As it was only for (presumably) counterfeit batteries I couldn't be bothered. How many people like me are there though, thinking it's only a few €s and walk off. These people are getting Tenerife a bad name and need taking to task.

Sylla
25-09-2011, 11:26
cheery ....sounds just like the same shop ...... I seem to remember an "uncle" .... In my camera there were some movie scenes already in it ..erhuummmm ! bedroom scene !! no nothing like you are thinking LOL ! nothing raunchy ;-)) he! he! he! but could easily have been .....and that set us thinking it was a second hand camera !

Vortex Wake
25-09-2011, 12:10
cheery ....sounds just like the same shop ...... I seem to remember an "uncle" .... In my camera there were some movie scenes already in it ..erhuummmm ! bedroom scene !! no nothing like you are thinking LOL ! nothing raunchy ;-)) he! he! he! but could easily have been .....and that set us thinking it was a second hand camera !

Second hand , faulty , incomplete , old model (circa 1990s) - they try every trick .

Bonnie1964
28-09-2011, 21:49
and staying away from the Los Americas area was a god send as i thought it was just a rip of,
unless your an 18-30 something and just want to be lead around like cattle drinking over priced watered down drinks and eating Mcdonadls type food (yuk) trying to get your end away with anything in a skirt.

Comments like this get Las Americas a bad name.......it is not all like this there is something for everyone here:mad: