PDA

View Full Version : Tax on junk food - what a great idea.

Jimandsi
26-08-2011, 16:42
They've taxed our fags and booze up to the hilt, so how pleasing it is to see that they are considering taxing junk food now .....

Tougher action - including taxing junk food - is needed by all governments if the obesity crisis is going to be tackled, experts say.

The international group of researchers, who have published a series of articles in The Lancet, said no country had yet got to grips with the problem.

They said changes in society meant it was getting harder for people to live healthy lives.

And they warned without state action, health systems could become swamped.

Obesity-related problems, such as diabetes, were now accounting for between 2% and 6% of health care costs in most countries.

But as one of the articles showed, this is likely to get worse if current trends continue.

Researchers made projections for the US and the UK - two of the developed countries with the worst rates of obesity.

They predicted obesity rates would rise from a quarter in the UK to about 40% by 2030.

Such a scenario would cost the NHS an extra £2bn a year - the equivalent of 2% of health spending.

The rise in costs would be even greater in the US, where obesity rates would rise from one in three to about one in two.

The researchers accepted that the whole of society - from the individual to industry - had a role to play in tackling the problem.

But they said governments needed to take a lead by using legislation and direct intervention to create a better environment.

They said many measures - including taxes on unhealthy food, restrictions on junk food advertising, traffic light labelling and school-based education programmes - would save money as well as benefit health.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14669203

It should have been implemented years ago.

henry
26-08-2011, 19:59
oh!! god!! i hope this is not true!! i need my fix for the morning when i go to work. doritos chesses and red bull breakfast of champions!!!
and here and there snack on chocalates...

Jimandsi
26-08-2011, 22:01
An apple or a banana would be far, far better Henry.

KirstyJay
26-08-2011, 23:06
They've taxed our fags and booze up to the hilt, so how pleasing it is to see that they are considering taxing junk food now .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14669203

It should have been implemented years ago.

For once, I agree with you Jim. Down with McDonald's!!!! :devil:

MaxineC
26-08-2011, 23:12
Absolutely, tax the fatties... I'm tired of hearing people whinge they're overweight, whilst stuffing their faces with fatty foods and guzzling booze! They're usually the same people that complain that smokers are draining the NHS, when we all know that heavy drinkers and obese people are as much as a drain, if not more, than smokers... Tax them for their gluttony, it's no different!!

I constantly get the mick ripped out of me from my friends for being a skinny cow, they can never understand that it is as much as a health problem as being overweight... they think I'm lucky!! :doh: So I may look better in a frock, but it causes me as many, if not more, problems as them being overweight! :wall:

slodgedad
27-08-2011, 00:50
Always irks me when I see overweight kids shoveling burger and chips down their necks at 2 in the afternoon.

MaxineC
27-08-2011, 00:55
Always irks me when I see overweight kids shoveling burger and chips down their necks at 2 in the afternoon.

Makes me want to :v3: ... i've even seen parents give their obese kids sweets/crisps/pop etc as a form of 'solace' for being teased about their weight... And if I hear one more person say it's a gland problem, when it's gluttony/idleness, I think I may throttle them... unless they can produce a doctors certificate to prove it! :D

irishmusico
27-08-2011, 03:22

Stop going into McDonalds at 2 and you won't see them so ;)

Added after 5 minutes:

Absolutely, tax the fatties... I'm tired of hearing people whinge they're overweight, whilst stuffing their faces with fatty foods and guzzling booze! They're usually the same people that complain that smokers are draining the NHS, when we all know that heavy drinkers and obese people are as much as a drain, if not more, than smokers... Tax them for their gluttony, it's no different!!

Some of us obese alcoholic fatties,are smokers as well I will have you know.A gluttony tax?Only a skinny cow would think that one up ;)

Foz
27-08-2011, 09:22
What about those of us who eat sensibly the vast majority of the time, then "treat" ourselves once in a blue moon to a burger or slice of pizza? Surely it is up to he consumer to eat what they want, but better awareness of the calories, levels of fat etc held in these foods should be advertised in menus etc.

YOUNG GOLFER
27-08-2011, 09:49

Have to say i am a fan of Mc Donalds...i like the choice of salads they do and the wraps and other items other than burgers.
Once a week i take my little girls and they love it only one of them will eat a burger.

Also the new play area in McDonalds is well worth a look they have built a childrens assult course were the children wait in turn to hit the timmer button then run around the course to see who can get the best time....they also have a mini basket ball hoop.

So all in all i think McDonalds have made more than a good effort into putting money into projects like this to keep the children fit.

Not sure about this Tax on foods though i am sure we all like a little junk food from time to time.

Think mums and dads need to find the time to make more healthy dinners for their children....you see it all the time kids fed junk food because it's faster cheaper and then after tea sitting in front of a computer or the TV watching stupid soaps all night.
Parents want to make more of a effort with food and exercise what ever happened to a family going for a walk after lunch or tea.

Anyway good morning all ....rant over;)

Bazzer
27-08-2011, 10:10
Wouldn't argue with most of what has been said. My wife and I are always commenting on the size of the youngsters these days, along with the fact we very rarely see any out there on the parks kicking a ball about etc.

What does puzzle me though is that whether it's obesity/smoking/drinking we are always told that these people are a heavy burden on the taxpayer, and that premature death will result. Surely paying their pensions for another thirty years and keeping a healthy old person alive and possibly in care would be more costly?

Vortex Wake
27-08-2011, 13:00
Have to say i am a fan of Mc Donalds...i like the choice of salads they do and the wraps and other items other than burgers.
Once a week i take my little girls and they love it only one of them will eat a burger.

Also the new play area in McDonalds is well worth a look they have built a childrens assult course were the children wait in turn to hit the timmer button then run around the course to see who can get the best time....they also have a mini basket ball hoop.

So all in all i think McDonalds have made more than a good effort into putting money into projects like this to keep the children fit.

Not sure about this Tax on foods though i am sure we all like a little junk food from time to time.

Think mums and dads need to find the time to make more healthy dinners for their children....you see it all the time kids fed junk food because it's faster cheaper and then after tea sitting in front of a computer or the TV watching stupid soaps all night.
Parents want to make more of a effort with food and exercise what ever happened to a family going for a walk after lunch or tea.

Anyway good morning all ....rant over;)

Thats marketing for you YG. Your kids are Mcdonalds next generation of customers.

irishmusico
27-08-2011, 13:18
H

That's probably to stop the next generation of breeders of happy meal customers,dying before their 12 birthdays,of heart attacks,and so eroding their customer base,and therefore reducing profits.A good business decision from Ronald and his mates. :)

Jimandsi
27-08-2011, 15:08
I think the problem is much, much bigger than McDonalds though, it's the whole junk food industry.

As I said in my first post, the UK Taxman has been persecuting the smokers and drinkers for years and in a way, I suppose their campaign has been successful. Thankfully, smoking and drinking related deaths are continuing to decline and people are now living longer etc.

However, there is a major problem on the horizon and that is obesity, due mainly to junk food and a complete lack of exercise. Look around anywhere in the UK nowadays and most people under 40 years of age are fat. What effect those people will have on our Health Service in the future is quite scary and will cost the tax payer dearly.

So, slap a large tax on ALL junk foods now to hopefully encourage people to eat more sensibly and if not, then at least they can make some sort contribution to their future healthcare needs.

Rant over - fish and chips for tea tonight. :yum:

KirstyJay
27-08-2011, 15:46
What about those of us who eat sensibly the vast majority of the time, then "treat" ourselves once in a blue moon to a burger or slice of pizza? Surely it is up to he consumer to eat what they want, but better awareness of the calories, levels of fat etc held in these foods should be advertised in menus etc.

As those that want a fag get taxed for the privilege, those that eat fast food will too. I see no problem with that. I enjoy the off burger from time to time, but just not from MAccy D's. :)

You can have nice food without it being fast food... you can have a treat at a nice restaurant too :)

Also the new play area in McDonalds is well worth a look they have built a childrens assult course were the children wait in turn to hit the timmer button then run around the course to see who can get the best time....they also have a mini basket ball hoop.It's not just the bad quality of food I object to with MacDonalds, it's their whole operational and marketing practices I find appalling too.

You should research them. They are scum of the earth. :(

atlantico
27-08-2011, 15:54
Yeah, MacDonalds . . . .scum

Burger King rules !!

Double whopper and chips . . . . . . mmmmmmm. . . . . .i'd pay the extra tax !

Tom & Sharon
27-08-2011, 16:27
I think the problem is much, much bigger than McDonalds though, it's the whole junk food industry.

As I said in my first post, the UK Taxman has been persecuting the smokers and drinkers for years and in a way, I suppose their campaign has been successful. Thankfully, smoking and drinking related deaths are continuing to decline and people are now living longer etc.

However, there is a major problem on the horizon and that is obesity, due mainly to junk food and a complete lack of exercise. Look around anywhere in the UK nowadays and most people under 40 years of age are fat. What effect those people will have on our Health Service in the future is quite scary and will cost the tax payer dearly.

So, slap a large tax on ALL junk foods now to hopefully encourage people to eat more sensibly and if not, then at least they can make some sort contribution to their future healthcare needs.

Rant over - fish and chips for tea tonight. :yum:

Oh' so this is the current coalition government bleeting how we've bred a nation of fat ******* kids,when the previous Labour and Conservative governments had a policy of selling off as many school fields as possible.:doh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202881/200-playing-fields-sold-Labour-How-justified-ahead-Olympics-ask-critics.html

Unfortunately society has bred a bone idle something for nothing generation and sadly processed food is cheap so some sectors of society have no choice but to eat junk food.
It all started when that bitch stopped school milk!!!! It was the ONLY daily nourishment i got as a very poor working class kid. Rant over :bootyshake:

Tom :tiphat:

kingbaker
27-08-2011, 17:07
:rofl:
That's probably to stop the next generation of breeders of happy meal customers,dying before their 12 birthdays,of heart attacks,and so eroding their customer base,and therefore reducing profits.A good business decision from Ronald and his mates. :)

On the other hand, if we let them all die around 12 years old, a fortune would be saved
on education costs....... NHS..........old age pensions etc

Maybe Mc D's have it right! :rofl:

Jimandsi
27-08-2011, 17:15
Unfortunately society has bred a bone idle something for nothing generation and sadly processed food is cheap so some sectors of society have no choice but to eat junk food.

However, fresh fruit and vegetables are even cheaper !

Trouble is, the bone idle parents can't be bothered to buy/prepare them.

---

It's actually the medical profession that have been warning Government for the last 20 odd years that we, as a nation are getting fatter.

BLiar and Brown didn't listen but hopefully, this lot might.

Vortex Wake
27-08-2011, 17:27
And if you grow your own they are even cheaper - I've had a summer of grow my own spuds , green beans , apples , plums etc. Most council houses have gardens too down they ?? ;)

Jackie
27-08-2011, 17:55
I think it is wrong to Tax junk food. Why should an ordinary family like mine be taxed for eating what we want. When my kids were younger they ate what we ate, didn't even bother with baby food. They were fed meat, veg, fruit etc. we are none of us in the slightest overweight, we eat fairly healthily for the majority of the time but like others enjoy Maccy D or some other crap food now and again. My kids are all healthy and very active. The two boys would play any kind of sport 24 hours a day if they could, my daughter does plenty of swimming and we both do plenty of walking. Maybe it's the fat parents of fat kids that should be taxed in some way via their wages or benefits. Why should everyone be punished because certain people can't control what they or their families put in their mouths???

MaxineC
27-08-2011, 18:02
And if you grow your own they are even cheaper - I've had a summer of grow my own spuds , green beans , apples , plums etc. Most council houses have gardens too down they ?? ;)

Jeez, I'd starve... I'm the kiss of death to plants, so wouldn't fancy my chances of growing my own food! :eek:

KirstyJay
27-08-2011, 18:07
Oh' so this is the current coalition government bleeting how we've bred a nation of fat ******* kids,when the previous Labour and Conservative governments had a policy of selling off as many school fields as possible.:doh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202881/200-playing-fields-sold-Labour-How-justified-ahead-Olympics-ask-critics.html

It all started when that bitch stopped school milk!!!! It was the ONLY daily nourishment i got as a very poor working class kid. Rant over :bootyshake:

VERY good point. There you go Jim, it all started with the CONSERVATIVES!!! :rofl:

On the other hand, if we let them all die around 12 years old, a fortune would be saved
on education costs....... NHS..........old age pensions etcCertainly would... :rofl:

And if you grow your own they are even cheaper - I've had a summer of grow my own spuds , green beans , apples , plums etc. Most council houses have gardens too down they ?? ;)We sometimes grow our own... got some cherry tomatoes and chillis at present. It's hard on a roof terrace though. I'd love a garden. :(

we eat fairly healthily for the majority of the time but like others enjoy Maccy D or some other crap food now and again.I think that's the point though, Jackie... if you only eat it now and again, then it would not make a difference really. It'd just be a little more expensive when you do... however for people that eat junk continually it might make them think...

As a non-smoker, the tax on fags has no effect on me at all :) Apart from when the bloke uses my cash to buy his ;) :(

Sundowner
27-08-2011, 18:42

I think you will find that Harold Wilson's government was the 1st to stop free milk for children.........http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1507023/Thatcher-the-snatcher-may-not-have-been-wrong.html

caroletenerife
27-08-2011, 18:53
i used to manage a restaurant and fought tooth and nail to get healthy options on the kids menu on, apart from fruit juices, they avoided it like the plague, encouraged i must say by lazy parents, who would say' they dont eat that STUFF'. So families would walk in order enough food to feed somalia (always with chips), my refusal to serve them deep fried pizza often offended, and then want diet cokes,...like thats going to work!!!!
I also worked for a while in Dundee Fire Brigade's control centre and could not believe the amount of CHIP PAN fires at BREAKFAST time....i kid you not.

Tom & Sharon
27-08-2011, 19:51
I think you will find that Harold Wilson's government was the 1st to stop free milk for children.........http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1507023/Thatcher-the-snatcher-may-not-have-been-wrong.html

Went to primary school from 1968 to 1974,so that bitch certainly stopped mine ;)

henry
27-08-2011, 20:33
don´t said that i´m a hugh fan of mcdonalds. i´m not fat but it my home away from home fast food..

caroletenerife
27-08-2011, 21:40
Went to primary school from 1968 to 1974,so that bitch certainly stopped mine ;)

She stopped mine too, not that bothered though, it was always warm yuk!

KirstyJay
27-08-2011, 22:04
i used to manage a restaurant and fought tooth and nail to get healthy options on the kids menu on, apart from fruit juices, they avoided it like the plague, encouraged i must say by lazy parents, who would say' they dont eat that STUFF'. So families would walk in order enough food to feed somalia (always with chips), my refusal to serve them deep fried pizza often offended, and then want diet cokes,...like thats going to work!!!!
I also worked for a while in Dundee Fire Brigade's control centre and could not believe the amount of CHIP PAN fires at BREAKFAST time....i kid you not.That's interesting, as when we go out for a meal, we specifically look for restaurants or bars that either offer a healthy option for the kids (or two) or will give half portions of the rest of the menu for them, so we can order what they like.

We've got one daughter who does not like meat... not a veggie, but just doesn't like it.

Vortex Wake
27-08-2011, 22:15
Most diet drinks contain Aspartame as a sweetener. Aspartame itself can cause many issues (such as depression ).

As diet drinks don't tend to give you energy - people tend to drink more of the stuff.

Coke contains caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and can keep you (or your kids) awake at night.

Sundowner
27-08-2011, 22:41

No she did not it was Ted Heath who wanted that policy and Thatcher who had just took over the department who was told by her boss to implement it.............http://www.johnredwoodsdiary.com/2010/08/09/name-the-milk-snatchers/

Make the lie big,make it simple,keep saying it,and eventually they will beieve it. Adolph Hitler

KirstyJay
28-08-2011, 05:50
Most diet drinks contain Aspartame as a sweetener. Aspartame itself can cause many issues (such as depression ).Hate diet stuff. If you're gonna have sugar, just have sugar... don't try and cheat yourself. Just don't have it all the time :)

Fructose is a good substitute in cakes etc, but it's 3 times the price unfortunately :(

willowlily
28-08-2011, 11:44
if the experts are to be believed the general public will only get fatter and they seem to be on track so far, we are genetically programmed to store fat it goes back to the prehistoric humans who did not know when or if they would eat again, i know it sounds ridiculous in this age of plenty but even less than 100 years ago there was real starvation in europe.
the experts also have proved that the brain uses up most of your calorific intake, could the dumbing down of society in general also be partly to blame.
i like maxine am always being told off for being too skinny but i eat what i want which most of the time seems to be healthy, but i like to have a treat so when dining out i have the full three courses.
if they put a tax on junk food they then should give redeemable points for healthy food, unless of course this is another cynical ploy to raise more tax.

canarybird
28-08-2011, 19:04
I just posted this video onto the diet thread after a friend sent it to me today.

It takes some time to watch, but it is very informative!

Exercise alone or cutting out fat is not the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Canarybird

Tom & Sharon
28-08-2011, 19:34
No she did not it was Ted Heath who wanted that policy and Thatcher who had just took over the department who was told by her boss to implement it.............http://www.johnredwoodsdiary.com/2010/08/09/name-the-milk-snatchers/

Make the lie big,make it simple,keep saying it,and eventually they will beieve it. Adolph Hitler

Lets not split hairs, when i was at primary school in 1971 at the age of eight the following government minister stopped my milk;

"In 1971 Edward Heath’s government took milk away from 7 to 11 year olds" quoted from your attached news item by John Redwood.

At the time that bitch was in charge.:raspberry2:

We are off topic!!! ;)

Tom

Goforgold
28-08-2011, 19:59
Most diet drinks contain Aspartame as a sweetener. Aspartame itself can cause many issues (such as depression ).

As diet drinks don't tend to give you energy - people tend to drink more of the stuff.

Coke contains caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and can keep you (or your kids) awake at night.

All our tea/coffee/soft drinks are free at work. When it was part of Bass, and in the good old days there was free beer too, and every variety of teas/coffees and soft drinks going. With the cutbacks, the only soft drinks that we have now are Without Added Sugar - could this be the reason we all look so miserable??!! :(

Vortex Wake
28-08-2011, 20:20
All our tea/coffee/soft drinks are free at work. When it was part of Bass, and in the good old days there was free beer too, and every variety of teas/coffees and soft drinks going. With the cutbacks, the only soft drinks that we have now are Without Added Sugar - could this be the reason we all look so miserable??!! :(

'without added sugar' and 'diet' are different GFG

Goforgold
28-08-2011, 20:33
'without added sugar' and 'diet' are different GFG

May be it's down to losing the free booze then!! :)

bonitatime
28-08-2011, 21:25
Why just tax fatty food why not tax all processed food and encourage people to cook. There are far too many chemicals and salt in all processed foods.

Sundowner
29-08-2011, 11:07
Lets not split hairs, when i was at primary school in 1971 at the age of eight the following government minister stopped my milk;

"In 1971 Edward Heath’s government took milk away from 7 to 11 year olds" quoted from your attached news item by John Redwood.

At the time that bitch was in charge.:raspberry2:

We are off topic!!! ;)

Tom

You are right we are off topic and I will now return to the topic at hand.

I do not think taxing junk food is the way to go! I am fed up with this nanny state! Let people be responsible for their own actions!! Every time the government brings in a new law/tax that is a bit more of our freedom of choice gone!

KirstyJay
30-08-2011, 21:43
I just posted this video onto the diet thread after a friend sent it to me today.

It takes some time to watch, but it is very informative!

Exercise alone or cutting out fat is not the answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Canarybird

What a truly eye-opening film. I'm really glad I took the time to watch it. :eek:

slodgedad
30-08-2011, 23:18
What a truly eye-opening film. I'm really glad I took the time to watch it. :eek:

I thought I'd take a look and ended up watching the whole thing.

It's certainly opened my eyes a bit.

Angusjim
01-12-2011, 16:11
Yes, its a great idea. Every fat person should pay tax for junk food so they can't become fatty. A fat person is a laziest person in the world. Its good for making our country future safe and beautiful. Tax is the only way to control fatty persons food habits.

What about thin people who eat junk food will they be taxed as well :dontknow:

Ecky Thump
01-12-2011, 17:03
Yes, its a great idea. Every fat person should pay tax for junk food so they can't become fatty. A fat person is a laziest person in the world. Its good for making our country future safe and beautiful. Tax is the only way to control fatty persons food habits.

What about thin people who eat junk food will they be taxed as well :dontknow:

The sad thing Jim, is that I think johnssimplton means what he has written.:mad:

YOUNG GOLFER
01-12-2011, 17:54

Wow has to be the biggest load of rubbish i have read on here for a while......well donerolleyes2:

sunspot
01-12-2011, 19:21

What a load of tosh johnssimpson,Not all overweight people sit eating junk food all day,some put on weight due to taking medication

karinagal
01-12-2011, 19:45

Troll alert!!!! Jimandsi has found a soul mate after all!!!

Added after 5 Hours 4 minutes:

I've sussed him out - I reckon he's a potential scammer... Note the web link in his signature.....

cheery
05-01-2012, 18:25
People who drink or smoke pay huge amounts of tax to the government, thereby paying for lots of NHS care.
Fast food outlets also pay VAT on their goods sold and tax on profits so more tax is collected from the populace. Where does it all stop? We pay fortunes for cars, fuel, tax on flying, tax on dying.

If people wish to put on excessive amounts of weight, risk cancer or cirrhosis of the liver let them. Stop telling us what we can and can't do just advise us of the risk.

Oh, and please stop putting tax on things and calling it something else. We aren't thick you know.

Some figures (consider next time you have a 'healthy' sandwich);
Fat content per 100g
Fish,chips and peas 6.95g
Pizza 11g
Burger with medium fries 12.1g
Doner kebab 18.3g

Juanthan
26-01-2012, 06:16
Junk foods would be far away from the reach of common people if tax is applied on such foods .

karinagal
26-01-2012, 12:13
Junk foods would be far away from the reach of common people if tax is applied on such foods .

IMHO what you've said is far from true..... There are a lot of people on benefits who are better dressed (more designer gear and dripping with gold) than me.. Therefore it would appear that they are just as likely if not more so to be able to buy junk food even if it is heavily taxed..

beerfan
26-01-2012, 16:21
IMHO what you've said is far from true..... There are a lot of people on benefits who are better dressed (more designer gear and dripping with gold) than me.. Therefore it would appear that they are just as likely if not more so to be able to buy junk food even if it is heavily taxed..

There would be a very brisk black market in the things that are being missed too.