PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this will catch on in Tenerife?

garlicbread
26-08-2011, 16:55
A dangerous craze for vaporised alcohol drinks — called oxy shots — which have proved popular with British holidaymakers have been banned by authorities in Spain.

Health authorities in the Balearic islands of Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca and Formentera have prohibited their sales, claiming they can cause harm. Police raided two bars in Majorca and seized six machines which dispense the oxy shots.

Drinkers inhale the vaporised alcohol through a tube or machine. As there is no liquid, the alcohol goes straight to a person’s lungs and quickly enters the bloodstream.

Consuming alcohol this way leaves drinkers feeling drunk very quickly. But health authorities have warned they can cause damage to the lungs, particularly if a person is asthmatic.

Oxy shots sell for between €4 (£3.50) to €8 each. They are available from bars or dispensers. They have quickly become a craze with British tourists and were freely available in areas such as Magaluf in Majorca.

source: The Times

Greg
26-08-2011, 17:07
The kill joys strike again! Whenever and where ever some one comes up with something new there will always be a miserable do gooder that wants to spoil the fun. (Probably the type that wasn't invited to parties as a kid!)

sunspot
26-08-2011, 18:12
I can never understand why when going for a drink people want to get legless so quick,dont they want to enjoy what they are drinking,sounds dangerous and really stupid

tonypub
26-08-2011, 18:28
anyone know where i can buy a few?;)

CIM
26-08-2011, 18:32
I´d give that a go! Very inventive, I´m sure it´d be very popular and kids just wanna have fun! :)
If they want to get hammered they´re going to whether there´s a mega quick way or whether it takes them 2 or 3 hours of hard boozing.

Greg
26-08-2011, 18:34
Shock, horror... the people in this video not only survived but actually had a good time! Do gooders begone :twak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtEx7U8GZyk

tonypub
26-08-2011, 18:40
a way to get drunk without the hangover,its a winner.

captain jack sparrow
26-08-2011, 18:42
anyone know where i can buy a few?;)

i've got the compressor and spray gun tony if you supply the vodka :heyhey:

Greg
26-08-2011, 18:44
i've got the compressor and spray gun tony if you supply the vodka :heyhey:

I'll give it a go!:laugh:

blue marlin
26-08-2011, 18:59
can it be worse than the laughing gas you can get down Las Americas for 5 euro ?

leo_london
26-08-2011, 19:10
I´d give that a go! Very inventive, I´m sure it´d be very popular and kids just wanna have fun! :)
If they want to get hammered they´re going to whether there´s a mega quick way or whether it takes them 2 or 3 hours of hard boozing.

I usually agree with you, but not this time.
Learning to drink is an important British rite of passage.
Hours of hard drinking, throwing up, picking up dodgy women with our beer goggles on, then the hangover that makes you wish you were dead.
That's what made us the proud nation we are..we don't need any shortcuts, every generation has to suffer. :wink2:

CIM
26-08-2011, 19:13
I usually agree with you, but not this time.
Learning to drink is an important British rite of passage.
Hours of hard drinking, throwing up, picking up dodgy women with our beer goggles on, then the hangover that makes you wish you were dead.
That's what made us the proud nation we are..we don't need any shortcuts, every generation has to suffer. :wink2:

Fair enough! No shortcuts!!!

Loaded
26-08-2011, 19:13
This was getting sold in linekars 2 years ago - it doesn't work!!!

pablo1
26-08-2011, 19:14
To be honest i'd much rather the youngsters do this than take E's at 50p a pop and badly cut cocaine for £20 a gram....

Margaretta
26-08-2011, 20:04
Garlicbread said that it is dangerous. OK I know that a lot of things we've tried are dangerous but like Ecstacy or alcohol it could very seriously affect many people who overdo it or even people who don't but have an allergy or unknown illness. Sounds really silly and what if someone staggers into the road afterwards and gets run over? There would be a national outcry. Four euros for a breath of pretend alcohol air? Waste of money!!

How lacking in elegance to bend and sniff a machine. Pass me a nice glass of Pimms with all the fruit and veges or a sparkly Mojito please!

Greg
26-08-2011, 20:54
Four euros for a breath of pretend alcohol air? Waste of money!!

Well if it's only pretend alcohol air then someone probably won't stagger into the road and probably won't get run over. Thus averting a national outcry :whistle:

Margaretta
26-08-2011, 21:18
Does it not have any effect then Greg? I doubt whether there is pure alcohol and no preservative in ....whatever it is!!!Imagine if you left a pint of beer for two or three nights. This stuff is in a machine in the hot climate for.....weeks?

pablo1
26-08-2011, 21:33
It's just another fad that has come along to entice the nice customers to part with their money. There have been many before ( test tubes, jelly shots etc ) and no doubt there will be many more in the future.
If you grew up drinking mild and babycham then i'm guessing it won't be aimed at you... :-)

conway
26-08-2011, 22:09
Sounds good to me alcohol without the calories!
What is it that's in the bongs at the lounge bar in puerto colon?

donna1984
26-08-2011, 22:12
It would be a hit in las americas, just like the gas you can inhale. A lot of the younger crowd will give anything a go have less concerns over their helath

Apollo
26-08-2011, 22:36
Could do with one today.....point me in the right direction. Aaaah, you only live once!