PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a Phone scam to you?

henry
26-08-2011, 20:30
i got a call from manchester england.saying this is to let you know that my gmail and hotmail have a virus and getting to many virusīs?? huh?? what??? telling me i been sending alot of e-mail with virusīs and the lady telling me to turn on my computer to go to her website to git rid of them. now this is really stange i only have yahoo. not gmail or hotmail.i told her this and she was starting to get a little nasty to me. saying internet police going to fine me for sending all this virus.

i just told her let them!! i only have yahoo and hung up on her.

now iīm thinking how did she got my parents phone number? and i never do anything over the phone. unless it somebody i know. so just wanna pass this out to everyone. to me it shound like a scam to me.

also i donīt know ANYONE from manchester.

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 20:33
Absolute nailed on certified scam. I'll guarantee the website you were asked to go to would require personal details to log on etc

Vortex Wake
26-08-2011, 20:33
Yup , a scam - end off :)

BobMac
26-08-2011, 20:46
My daughter's friend's mum got caught by this.

They told her the same story and charged her nearly Ģ100 to fix the problem remotely.

bonitatime
26-08-2011, 21:49
Scam. I wont have anything to do with anyone on the phone unless I have phoned them.
Vodafone tried to call me last week started with Hello i'm from Vodafone whats your average phone bill. After I answered 5 times 'none of your business' she hung up.

cainaries
26-08-2011, 21:56
Scam. I wont have anything to do with anyone on the phone unless I have phoned them.
Vodafone tried to call me last week started with Hello i'm from Vodafone whats your average phone bill. After I answered 5 times 'none of your business' she hung up.
I'm lost here ... she rang you from vodaphone to ask you what your vodaphone phone bill was? I think even I would have smelt that rat. Beware, too, when you get a new phone. Years ago I had a lovely new phone (from vodaphone funnily enough) and a guy with a heavy South African accent rang me to say I needed to answer some security questions to ensure the phone would work properly. When he got to 'date of birth' I hung up. But unless he was tipped off by a vodaphone employee how did he know I had a new phone?

Vortex Wake
26-08-2011, 22:00
I'm lost here ... she rang you from vodaphone to ask you what your vodaphone phone bill was? I think even I would have smelt that rat. Beware, too, when you get a new phone. Years ago I had a lovely new phone (from vodaphone funnily enough) and a guy with a heavy South African accent rang me to say I needed to answer some security questions to ensure the phone would work properly. When he got to 'date of birth' I hung up. But unless he was tipped off by a vodaphone employee how did he know I had a new phone?

Its simply to do with assigning of new numbers. A third party company simply rings blind, numbers that have been allocated that week.

9PLUS
26-08-2011, 22:04
You're like a problem magnet henry

blimey

x

BobMac
26-08-2011, 22:19
Its simply to do with assigning of new numbers. A third party company simply rings blind, numbers that have been allocated that week.

When I worked for the local council, one of my jobs was to control my departments use of their mobile phone contract with Vodaphone.

Every Mobile Phone company's mobile phone numbers for new phones are taken from a pre-allocated range of numbers, so anyone who had bought a mobile phone from a particular company could work out what that company's range of numbers was and blind call numbers higher than the one they had bought.

We actually had instances of other companies cold calling our users trying to get them to switch to them.