PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have "Irish" in you?

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 22:18
Following a chat with Al Jay and CNS, I'm curious as to how many of you have Irish blood or connections? I'm willing to bet that it will be well over 10% of all members here.

lozzie1821
26-08-2011, 22:21
ive got irish in me...

you'll find most if not all scousers have irish in them!!

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 22:23
ive got irish in me...

you'll find most if not all scousers have irish in them!!
What's the connection?

pablo1
26-08-2011, 22:25
Yep, Surname gives it away for me ( Dempsey ) Grandparents on my Dad's side moved over to Manchester with their 5 kids, then had 6 more including my Dad. Hail from Ross Common where we still have our family home in the middle of nowhere....it's bliss! :-)

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 22:27
Yep, Surname gives it away for me ( Dempsey ) Grandparents on my Dad's side moved over to Manchester with their 5 kids, then had 6 more including my Dad. Hail from Ross Common where we still have our family home in the middle of nowhewre....it's bliss! :-)

Now there's a coincidence. I'm originally from Roscommon (note the spelling;))! Where is your family home?

Apollo
26-08-2011, 22:27
Nope...............

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 22:28
Nope...............

:D Thats calling a spade a spade!:D

lozzie1821
26-08-2011, 22:33
What's the connection?

My grandad came over from ireland with his family when they were young to work on the docks and met my nan (who had moved over from ireland years before)..

pablo1
26-08-2011, 22:33
Now there's a coincidence. I'm originally from Roscommon (note the spelling;))! Where is your family home?

I shall have to get back to you on that one, I haven't been since I was about 12. I remember being surrounded by fields, lot's of them. I'll ask my Nana where exactly. When I say family home, it's for the use of all the brothers and sisters of my Dad. As much as I enjoy the peace and quiet I live in the countryside as it is so prefer to go to Dublin when visiting family. :-)

Andy0210
26-08-2011, 22:37
How many of you have "Irish" in you?

I am half Irish on my dads side, family comes from Ballyclare in Northern Ireland near Belfast.

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 22:39
I am half Irish on my dads side, family comes from Ballyclare in Northern Ireland near Belfast.

So i guess that means my mum had Irish in her at least once! :hide:

:goodluck: you're going to need it if your mum ever reads this!:laugh:

KirstyJay
26-08-2011, 22:49
My Nana was from Cork. Surname 'Burke'! :o :D

Andy0210
26-08-2011, 22:49
:goodluck: you're going to need it if your mum ever reads this!:laugh:

She just has............. edited!

It was the lose the post or lose the will! :(

The cats home was about to get everything! ;)

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 22:53
My Nana was from Cork. Surname 'Burke'! :o :D
Where did she meet your grandad?

9PLUS
26-08-2011, 23:00
With all these personal questions popping up by the end of the year i could open a back account.

pablo1
26-08-2011, 23:20
With all these personal questions popping up by the end of the year i could open a back account.

You're right, i'll PM the rest of my details....Well this is an Irish thread isn't it?
:-)

doreen
26-08-2011, 23:23
Pure Bred :lol: Maam Cross and Co Clare roots :)

MaxineC
26-08-2011, 23:24
Yep, fathers side Irish catholic, mothers side Jewish German.... Jeez, I'd be confused what side to join if there was another world war! ;)

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 23:31
9 plus, as I've said before you're very zen-like but I just don't understand the above post. Can you enlighten the more ignorant amongst us (me!):sorry:

mony71
26-08-2011, 23:36
im doyle/reilly(parents names)im now a monaghan by marriage,my husbands family are bergins and murphys,with gillmartins in the distance relatives

pablo1
26-08-2011, 23:37
im doyle/reilly(parents names)im now a monaghan by marriage,my husbands family are bergins and murphys,with gillmartins in the distance relatives

So no Irish in you then? :-)

caroletenerife
26-08-2011, 23:48
My sister lives in Roscommon, a tiny place called Ballytoohey near Longford, its very much like the Hebrides. Being Scottish its very likely i have some irish blood lurking somewhere

dokgolf
26-08-2011, 23:57
So no Irish in you then? :-)
ROFL:Lmfao::crylaughing:

ddoyle
26-08-2011, 23:58
100% and all my seed breed and every generation, Irish by the grace of God and Wicklow by pure good luck.

Yep, fathers side Irish catholic, mothers side Jewish German.... Jeez, I'd be confused what side to join if there was another world war! ;)
They were both on the same side in the last one.;)

dokgolf
27-08-2011, 00:02
My sister lives in Roscommon, a tiny place called Ballytoohey near Longford, its very much like the Hebrides. Being Scottish its very likely i have some irish blood lurking somewhere

I've passed through it going from Dublin to Westport

doreen
27-08-2011, 00:06

Shhhh ... don't mention ... The Emergency :lol:

KirstyJay
27-08-2011, 00:09
Where did she meet your grandad?Can't remember exactly, but I think it was a small village north of Cork. I did find out via geneology a while back, but forget now.

dokgolf
27-08-2011, 00:15
Shhhh ... don't mention ... The Emergency :lol:

Now you're bringing back memories of school!

Added after 2 minutes:

100% and all my seed breed and every generation, Irish by the grace of God and Wicklow by pure good luck.

You just reminded me of the D'unbelievables

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrujV0PG_7k

tonypub
27-08-2011, 03:20
i gotta few ginger pubes,lol.:laugh:

irishmusico
27-08-2011, 03:32
I have a little on my mother and my fathers side.

Tenerife Blade
27-08-2011, 11:28
I'm half Irish. My mum is from Athlone, and we still have a big family base there. Her maiden name is Gallagher.

Malteser Monkey
27-08-2011, 12:07
I have Welsh in me !:D

and stop ! seriously My grandmother was Welsh

DeedeeTipperary
27-08-2011, 12:11
Its all to do with the Irish having large families many years ago :D My father was the youngest in a family of fourteen , of that fourteen my Dad and one of his brothers stayed in Ireland . Dad stayed in Tipperary , moving to Army barracks in Cork where he met my mother , my Uncle moved to Dublin and had a family of eight !
The other siblings all moved to England bar one sister who moved to New York at 15 years of age . So I have Two Aunts and Nine Uncles who moved to various parts of England , all of which had many children :) We had many trips to England by ferry when we were young to trek around and visit all the cousins , who in turn used to come over and visit our place which is the family home throughout the summers of my younger years .
So you see this was just one family who have gone forth and multiplied:laugh: How many more are there Lol !

lesbroz
27-08-2011, 13:16
I'm unsure whether this was a rude post or not!!! I'm married to an Irishman from Tralee:confused:

dokgolf
27-08-2011, 14:00
I'm unsure whether this was a rude post or not!!! I'm married to an Irishman from Tralee:confused:
I'm just back from 2 weeks in Kerry. I wonder did your husband go to Puck Fair (http://www.puckfair.ie/) at any stage? I'm sure he did. I'm still getting over it, the pubs didn't close 'til 3am (officially)

Bobby
27-08-2011, 14:12
My mother came from Cork. My father met her when he was in the army just after ww 1 and they were married in Cork then went to England to set up home.

lesbroz
27-08-2011, 14:19
I'm just back from 2 weeks in Kerry. I wonder did your husband go to Puck Fair (http://www.puckfair.ie/) at any stage? I'm sure he did. I'm still getting over it, the pubs didn't close 'til 3am (officially)

I'm not sure if he did or not, I will ask him when he gets back from Golf.

dokgolf
27-08-2011, 21:09
Can't remember exactly, but I think it was a small village north of Cork. I did find out via geneology a while back, but forget now.
Sorry Kirsty, I didn't mean to pry. I just assumed that as you said your nan was from Cork that your Grandad was from the UK and they met there

Goforgold
27-08-2011, 21:17
I have Welsh in me !:D

and stop ! seriously My grandmother was Welsh

I'm half Welsh, but I thought this was an Irish thread!! :)

Added after 2 minutes:

Funny you should say this as I was about to say the same thing!! If you listen to the start of the Thin Lizzy album, The Boys are back in Town, it is very rude what dokgolf has put!! :), but what do you expect from someone who makes quiche with lemons?!!! :)

dokgolf
27-08-2011, 21:24
I'm half Welsh, but I thought this was an Irish thread!! :)

Added after 2 minutes:

Funny you should say this as I was about to say the same thing!! If you listen to the start of the Thin Lizzy album, The Boys are back in Town, it is very rude what dokgolf has put!! :), but what do you expect from someone who makes quiche with lemons?!!! :)

Now now Gfg, that Phil Lynott quote was the furthest thing from my mind when making the title for this thread. :ashamed:

Now now Gfg, that Phil Lynott quote was the furthest thing from my mind when making the title for this thread. :ashamed:

all right, maybe I did think of it but you lot here are certainly making the most of it, you filthy minded things!:devil2:

Goforgold
27-08-2011, 21:26

Ah you know the quote then?!!! :rofl:

lesbroz
28-08-2011, 16:49

Sadly, he never got round to going.

Nic
02-09-2011, 20:02
My husband is Irish, born in Dublin brought up in Co Clare. My uncle did our family tree and back a few generations it appears we are from Co Antrim but I'm a Scot, my children are half Irish I suppose!

anto3
03-09-2011, 11:44
My neighbour here is english and she does not like the irish, She has irish living on both sides, She thinks the irish are thick so that means each of you is half thick, ha, ha,

LeFrunk
03-09-2011, 19:10
Yes , Im a McDonnell of Antrim , the McDonnell clan who ruled Co Antrim , the clan had six castles and fought many battles against the English and the Scottish until the O`Neill clan from Co Tyrone beat the cr*p out of us , they even stole our women . One of the castles is still lived in to this day by the Earl of Glenarm , Glenarm castle , and his family name is McDonnell .

dokgolf
03-09-2011, 19:14
My neighbour here is english and she does not like the irish, She has irish living on both sides, She thinks the irish are thick so that means each of you is half thick, ha, ha,

I don't get this???

marbro8
03-09-2011, 19:54
my great gran got pregnant out of wedlock a long time ago,which was a no no all those years ago, and the family of the father shunned her, because they were a well to do family, but she gave him his father's names for his middle names, william,lawrence vitty, cotterell, so obviously his father's name was lawrence vitty, i thought it was italian but after a bit of reserch i found out it was irish!! so the jury is out on the question of have i got any irish in me?

Added after 11 minutes:

I don't get this???you aint the only one mate:dontknow:, do you know why the irish nation are (wrongly) accused of having a lack of intelligence, it is because years ago anyone with any intelligence went into the priesthood, so anyone that was not intelligent enough was deemed stupid, that's what i was told anyway:dontknow: but it's derogatory to the Irish race anyway who i have found to be both intelligent and welcoming;)

doreen
03-09-2011, 21:31
you aint the only one mate:dontknow:, do you know why the irish nation are (wrongly) accused of having a lack of intelligence, it is because years ago anyone with any intelligence went into the priesthood, so anyone that was not intelligent enough was deemed stupid, that's what i was told anyway:dontknow: but it's derogatory to the Irish race anyway who i have found to be both intelligent and welcoming;)

I've come across this attitude a few times from older "middle Englanders" ... dreadful stereotypical thinking back to the days when "No Irish" signs were on bedsit doors :(

ddoyle
03-09-2011, 21:42
I've come across this attitude a few times from older "middle Englanders" ... dreadful stereotypical thinking back to the days when "No Irish" signs were on bedsit doors :(
I think most of us have come across this type of stereotyping over the years, I blame the gutter press etc,

DOREEN QUINN
03-09-2011, 22:06
My family came from Limerick, my husbands mum was from Wexford, his dad from Dublin.

dokgolf
03-09-2011, 22:10
my great gran got pregnant out of wedlock a long time ago,which was a no no all those years ago, and the family of the father shunned her, because they were a well to do family, but she gave him his father's names for his middle names, william,lawrence vitty, cotterell, so obviously his father's name was lawrence vitty, i thought it was italian but after a bit of reserch i found out it was irish!! so the jury is out on the question of have i got any irish in me?

Added after 11 minutes:

you aint the only one mate:dontknow:, do you know why the irish nation are (wrongly) accused of having a lack of intelligence, it is because years ago anyone with any intelligence went into the priesthood, so anyone that was not intelligent enough was deemed stupid, that's what i was told anyway:dontknow: but it's derogatory to the Irish race anyway who i have found to be both intelligent and welcoming;)

I always found this misnomer strange considering Ireland is known as the "Land of Saints and Scholars". The actual reason why, in the 19th century in particular, the Irish population got a name for being ( for want of a better word) ignorant, was because they (98%) couldn't read or write. Now, without wanting to stir thing up, the reason behind this is, that this suited the ruling British colonial classes, as an uneducated population would be much easier to control. The main schools at the time were reserved for the families of the landed gentry ( i.e. Protestant landlords ). They did not allow Catholic "commoners" and any education these children got were in illegal "hedge" schools i.e. they took place out of sight in fields behind hedges and were run by the local Catholic clergy. If any children were caught in one of these schools, their entire family would be evicted from their dwellings and would face starvation. The history taught about Ireland in English schools is a very sanitised version of what actually happened ( which isn't a criticism btw):tiphat:

ddoyle
03-09-2011, 22:35
Our joint History is very convuleted, I have always believed that we as a people have more that unites us than devides us. To get a better understanding of how our realtionship developed over the Centuries I would recommend a very good book can't remember the author, the book title is The Catholics of Ulster a very good read and very educational.

marbro8
03-09-2011, 22:47
Our joint History is very convuleted, I have always believed that we as a people have more that unites us than devides us. To get a better understanding of how our realtionship developed over the Centuries I would recommend a very good book can't remember the author, the book title is The Catholics of Ulster a very good read and very educational.i will have a look for it thankyou;)

Bonnie1964
03-09-2011, 23:09
My Grampa was from Strabane he was a McCrossan,he was sent over to Scotland to live with relatives after his Dad was killed in the war and his mother and brother both died from TB......:(

ddoyle
04-09-2011, 09:44
i will have a look for it thankyou;)
Almost certain it was published by Penguin, there are some surprises contained in it.

anto3
04-09-2011, 10:58
My dad used to work in england during the week. My mother used to tell us they would have signs in the widows of the rented rooms. no irish, no pigs,

Bobby
04-09-2011, 11:19
The Irish Travellers at Dale Farm in Essex are claiming to be an ethnic group and that their eviction is racist. Does anyone agree with this or should they be regarded as a national group and be obliged to comply with the laws of their host nation?

ddoyle
04-09-2011, 14:03
The Irish Travellers at Dale Farm in Essex are claiming to be an ethnic group and that their eviction is racist. Does anyone agree with this or should they be regarded as a national group and be obliged to comply with the laws of their host nation?
They are not an ethnic group they are Irish Travellers whatever that is supposed to mean. They are a national group the vast majority of which feel that society norms and customs do not apply to them. There is a little town in the West of Ireland called Rathkeel, this town and the surrounding area is full of very large detached houses which are empty most of the year as the Traveller owners are away in the UK and elsewhere earning a living ;)

Goforgold
04-09-2011, 16:53

I've always regarded 'travellers' as people who liked travelling ???

kingbaker
04-09-2011, 17:15
:wave::wave::wave::wave:
I'm a freeborn man of the travelling people
Got no fixed abode, with nomads I am numbered
Country lanes and byways were always my ways
I never fancied being lumbered

O we knew the woods and the resting places
And the small birds sang when winter days were over
Then we'd pack our load and be on the road
They were good old times for the rover

There was open ground where a man could linger
Stay a week or two for time was not your master
Then away you'd jog with your horse and dog
Nice and easy, no need to go faster

Now and then we'd meet up with other travellers
Hear the news or else swap family information
At the country fairs, we'd be meeting there
All the people of the travelling nation

I've known life hard and I've known it easy
And I've cursed the times when winter days were dawning
But I've danced and sang through the whole night long
Seen the summer sun rise in the morning

All you freeborn men of the travelling people
Every tinker, rolling stone and Gypsy rover
Winds of change are blowing, old ways are going
Your travelling days will soon be over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSc5NQlrag&feature=player_detailpage

slodgedad
04-09-2011, 17:19
Our joint History is very convuleted, I have always believed that we as a people have more that unites us than devides us. To get a better understanding of how our realtionship developed over the Centuries I would recommend a very good book can't remember the author, the book title is The Catholics of Ulster a very good read and very educational.

It is by Marianne Elliot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_Elliott)

dokgolf
04-09-2011, 17:47

A different thread for this perhaps? Mods, what you think??

cainaries
04-09-2011, 17:49
In answer to the original thread ... no, I don't think so! I have been tracing my ancestors back through Genes Reunited and I've got back to around 1800 and so far, no Irish.

dokgolf
04-09-2011, 17:52
They are not an ethnic group they are Irish Travellers whatever that is supposed to mean. They are a national group the vast majority of which feel that society norms and customs do not apply to them. There is a little town in the West of Ireland called Rathkeel, this town and the surrounding area is full of very large detached houses which are empty most of the year as the Traveller owners are away in the UK and elsewhere earning a living ;)

They are travellers who happen to be Irish and they also claim to have a different ethnic status here. If fact, they have their own language ( no jokes please) but this has practically died out now.

The town is Rathkeale. Here (http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php?aid=3893) is a link to a story from one of our tabloids. Somewhat ott but has also some truth init

Davie Thistle
04-09-2011, 20:15
.............nope, not me,

But " She who must be obey'd" family have,
somewhere down the line.:D

dokgolf
04-09-2011, 20:21
In answer to the original thread ... no, I don't think so! I have been tracing my ancestors back through Genes Reunited and I've got back to around 1800 and so far, no Irish.

That's unfortunate but keep trying!:D:D:goodluck:;)

cainaries
04-09-2011, 21:08
That's unfortunate but keep trying!:D:D:goodluck:;)

I expect someone will turn up sooner or later!

dokgolf
04-09-2011, 23:06

That's essentially what they are Gfg. They (in Ireland) are also known as "tinkers". This name came about as they used to travel from place to place fixing pots and pans, which were, at the time, mostly made from tin, hence the name. They still live a nomadic life ( maybe not so much the younger generations) but the main problem people have is that they ( not all ) set up illegal camps ( without permission, planning or otherwise ) and when they move on, they leave a filthy site which detracts from the locality and also has to be cleaned up at taxpayers' expense.