PDA

View Full Version : Seven years internment for youth who killed British pensioner

Zara
06-06-2011, 09:19
71 year old Peter Cockshutt was stabbed to death in February 2010

A 15 year old Chilean who was found guilty in February last year of stabbing to death a 71 year old British pensioner, Peter Cockshutt, to death, on the Costa del Silencio in Arona, Tenerife, has been sentenced to seven years of internment. Three years of the internment must be closed, followed by 26 months of probation.

The youth must also attend 20 months of therapy. He had been found guilty of homicide, robbery and burglary.

Judge María Vega Álcarez, in Juvenile Court 1 in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, also imposed compensation of 103,000€ be paid to the wife of the victim, to be paid by the adolescent’s parents.

The victim’s body was found on the night of February 8, and the next day the accused was arrested, following identification of fingerprints at the scene and the fact that the youth was already in the Guardia Civil records.

Source www.typicallyspanish.com

Tom & Sharon
06-06-2011, 09:24
FAR,FAR too lenient a sentence.:censored:

TenerifeTeddy
06-06-2011, 09:30
Three years incarceration for murder, robbery and burglary. Not exactly a deterrent to scum like that:???:

Zara
06-06-2011, 10:03
So glad you both agree - I sometimes feel far to critical and too quick to voice my feelings but the world has gone soft. Real punishments are needed if we are to stop this sort of thing happening. Frighten the *******s so much they will think of the consequences before being so quick to commit any crime.

Margaretta
06-06-2011, 10:12
He'll go straight back to this sort of behaviour...it gave him a 'buzz.'

Real punishment is the only answer but it is said that ten years is effective, more is not because the criminal feels secure within the prison system and stops fighting it. Swings and roundabouts (He will then commit any crime to get back in after the initial euphoria of his release.)

Doubtless the family feel terribly let down. Here seven years should mean just that.

Zara
06-06-2011, 10:18
I really think corporal punishment should be brought back. In cases where there is no doubt who is guilty like the above and the guy in Los Cristianos hanging, lethal injection, whatever but why should the tax payer carry the burden of keeping murderers in relative comfort. For lesser crimes bring back the birch!

atlantico
06-06-2011, 10:22
I thought 2 were caught/charged with the murder. What happened about the other one?

The compensation to be paid by parents - what if they're skint, which is more than likely !

with cheese
06-06-2011, 10:31
Give him the chair or torture him, tie him up and leave him on the most Baron part of Teide in the middle of winter.

Carlos
06-06-2011, 13:00
71 year old Peter Cockshutt was stabbed to death in February 2010

A 15 year old Chilean who was found guilty in February last year of stabbing to death a 71 year old British pensioner, Peter Cockshutt, to death, on the Costa del Silencio in Arona, Tenerife, has been sentenced to seven years of internment. Three years of the internment must be closed, followed by 26 months of probation.

The youth must also attend 20 months of therapy. He had been found guilty of homicide, robbery and burglary.

Judge María Vega Álcarez, in Juvenile Court 1 in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, also imposed compensation of 103,000€ be paid to the wife of the victim, to be paid by the adolescent’s parents.

The victim’s body was found on the night of February 8, and the next day the accused was arrested, following identification of fingerprints at the scene and the fact that the youth was already in the Guardia Civil records.

Source www.typicallyspanish.com

Wires appear to have been crossed somwhere here.
Island Connections has a more accurate picture of the sentence, which was made public at the week-end:

The teenager who killed retired British businessman Peter Cockshutt in a bungled break-in at his Costa del Silencio home in February 2010 has been given a 7-year sentence, although only five will involve actual confinement.
The Chilean schoolboy, now 15, was convicted of stabbing the Yorkshire company director three times when Mr Cockshutt confronted him and a second teenager who had broken into the villa after climbing the outside wall. The second boy, now aged 17, was cleared of manslaughter but convicted of armed robbery and was given a 3-year term, although all but nine months of the sentence will be served on probation. He has, however, been ordered to attend anti-social behaviour counselling for 20 months.

slodgedad
06-06-2011, 13:10
I really think corporal punishment should be brought back. In cases where there is no doubt who is guilty like the above and the guy in Los Cristianos hanging, lethal injection, whatever but why should the tax payer carry the burden of keeping murderers in relative comfort. For lesser crimes bring back the birch!

I don't agree with corporal punishment however, my uncle was a wrong'un in the 50's and was birched and it changed his life.

He never commited even the mildest of misdemeanours thereafter and always told us, in later life, that it was the best thing that had ever happened to him, although he didn't think so at the time

sundownersvince
06-06-2011, 13:16
I must say I do like the compensation bit, and if the parents can't pay it should hang over him for the rest of his life, plus interest. In the uk victims of violent crime can sometimes get some compensation but this is tax payers money. Much better that the perpetrator of the crime or his family should be made to pay.

Carlos
06-06-2011, 13:25
Does not really work out that way, regrettably. A couple of years ago, judges in Spain admitted that 9 out of 10 criminal compensation awards were never paid to the victims or their next-of-kin due to insolvency. In the few cases where payment is actually made, it is because the perpetrator has money or an insurance policy existed. Yet they continue to make the awards. Peter C's wife is unlikely to ever see a euro, even if the Chilean's parents are made jointly liable.

Mawkin
06-06-2011, 17:53
Hi
I just wonder if he will be deported back to Chile after he has done his sentence after all he will be 20 years old and one would think should have no dependants as he is only 15 now.

reggie
06-06-2011, 18:08
Never ceases to amaze me the do gooder brigade, like the other thread about mental health, Murder should mean life, thats it, never on the streets again, if there mentaly ill, kill them, there never going to be right, why waste money on them, clean the planet up, Make me prime minister, i'l clean the UK up, Going to need a lot of boats, like the armada during the war, when a war ship is heading over sea's fill it up with all the bloody hangers on, deport them all, shoot them pirates out of the water while sailing past too, Yeh, that will do for now,

Tom & Sharon
06-06-2011, 18:21
Never ceases to amaze me the do gooder brigade, like the other thread about mental health, Murder should mean life, thats it, never on the streets again, if there mentaly ill, kill them, there never going to be right, why waste money on them, clean the planet up, Make me prime minister, i'l clean the UK up, Going to need a lot of boats, like the armada during the war, when a war ship is heading over sea's fill it up with all the bloody hangers on, deport them all, shoot them pirates out of the water while sailing past too, Yeh, that will do for now,

If there's one thing i can't stand its tree hugging do-gooders worried about bloody climate change!!
Not sure i would go quite as far,but i like a man who doesn't fence sit:gun:

sundownersvince
07-06-2011, 00:45
Is this hard line Reggie?

with cheese
07-06-2011, 07:04
Reggie, come out with it mate. Totally agree, but you missed out over sensitive do gooders, they need to go to. Bring back the sex pistols
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZ_9-rbslo

reggie
07-06-2011, 13:13
Is this hard line Reggie?

I dont think so vince, Get involved in conversation, in a working class place of work IE a canteen full of blokes, its always the same toic, sometimes it gets so heated, if somebody passed around AK47's they would run on to the street and start shooting them, and you know who i mean,

Added after 2 minutes:

Reggie, come out with it mate. Totally agree, but you missed out over sensitive do gooders, they need to go to. Bring back the sex pistols
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TZ_9-rbslo

If the do gooders started beefing, then load them up too, they would soon find out they have been wasting there breath, Have you noticed do gooders are usualy wealthy, not got a clue about life on the streets,

sazzle
07-06-2011, 17:55

I totally agree with you on this. Something has to be done soon, its never going to get any better.

cheery
07-06-2011, 19:05

I think you are confusing corporal and capital punishment. Corporal is the birch,cat o'nine tails etc; capital is hanging, lethal injection etc.

I agree with you, the world does seem to be descending into chaos. The authorities in a lot of countries don't seem willing to do anything about it. It is interesting that the UK is favoured by those coming from strict regimes (eastern Europe, middle east) so they can have either an easy life or a life of crime with little or no consequences.