PDA

View Full Version : Fire Safety and Prevention on Tenerife!

Ahto
27-08-2011, 12:12
Few questions...

1. Can anybody tell me if there is many companies in Tenerife dealing with fire safety trainings, extinguishers, evacuations trainings, risk assessments etc?

2. How often hotels have to train their staff for fire safety and evacuation safety?

3. Does anybody knows the overall situation of Health and safety in Tenerife from the privat persons view, business/hotel owner view and goverment view?

- really appriciate your help on this matter!

A

malvasia
27-08-2011, 12:22
My husband was a Health and Safety/Fire trainer back in the UK, he used to mention all the time that there didnt seem to be requirements at all being adhered to. I am sure there are rules and regs here but you only seem to find out when someone gets a fine for non compliance.

Ahto
27-08-2011, 12:39
i wonder if there is an governmental inspection system in place ?!

Greg
27-08-2011, 18:23
There is. On local,(Ayuntamiento) regional (Gobierno De Canarias)and national levels. You can contact either your local town hall or the Cabildo in Santa Cruz for any relevant information. In Spanish obviously:tiphat:

Nic
27-08-2011, 20:29
I worked in Health and Safety in Tenerife (only in hotels so can't comment on other businesses)

1. There are lots of different companies that do fire inspections - Francisco Cogolludo is very prominent as is Emerplan however there are quite a few companies that carry out fire inspections. Normally it is only the head of departments that go for fire training (Manager, Assistant Manager, Head of Bars, Head Chef, Head House Keeper etc) and it is the fire brigade that give training. They do courses in Grade 1, 2 and 3 and the course has to be refreshed every two years.

2. As mentioned, the training is carried out by the Fire Brigade, special situations are created and people being trained are put into smoke filled rooms and shown how to use breathing equipment. Most hotels have some form of breathing equipment in their "background".

3. A hotel must hold a fire inspection certificate before they can open. Failure to have this certificate means the hotel can't open. I did come across a few dead ends when inspecting hotels but with regards to our guests, we didn't put them in these rooms. Most of four star and above hotels have very impressive fire safety precautions in place and all have automatic fire doors that are held with magnets and close on the alarm going off.

Sorry, I've gone a bit but i'm a bit of a health and safety geek! Wherever I go I'm looking to see that the little lights are on on the fire lights and where the emergency exits are! if I can be of further help please PM me!

bonitatime
30-08-2011, 07:48
The hotel I worked in until last year trained all their permanent staff and as many others as they could every 2 years
I have been on more fire courses than I care to remember. Every time I put on firefighting gear I overheat and pass out.

Ahto
31-08-2011, 06:25
thank you for the informative replys.