PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Live Search on the Tenerife Forum?

dokgolf
28-08-2011, 14:39
When I press my "live search" button, I'm brought to a box that is basically blank. I have the parameters of how I should input my search i.e. the amount of characters I can use etc, but there is nowhere in the box where I can actually type in my "search words". Its just a big blank box.
DOK:confused:
P.S> I'm using google chrome

After trying again, I realise that I'm meant to type in the "original" little box. I have to say its confusing, though maybe its just that I'm thick

cainaries
28-08-2011, 18:04
I'm so glad you asked this! I thought it was just me. I can never manage to write a word in the search box before it says 'loading' and then a sharp little message comes up to tell me I didn't enter enough characters. I didn't manage to enter ANY characters before it went beetling off to look for the basic blank you refer to. If you persist though you can sometimes make it work after 3 or 4 attempts.

KirstyJay
28-08-2011, 19:10
You type in the normal search box, where you originally clicked. The results appear in the pop up box ;)

dokgolf
28-08-2011, 19:20
You type in the normal search box, where you originally clicked. The results appear in the pop up box ;)

Thanks KJ, but my "pop up" box disappears after typing in the word in the normal search box. This is what I find confusing. What's the point of having the pop up box if it just disappears? Could it be that I am an oddity here regarding this situation or do other people have the same problem?

slodgedad
28-08-2011, 19:21
It's my favourite tool on the Forum.

Providing you just type in a keyword ie; 'Parque' it will list all the thread titles with parque in them from which you can choose, which is the main reason that thread titles and spelling in thread titles is so important.

I use it all the time. As I've said, to me it is the most helpful tool on the board.

dokgolf
28-08-2011, 19:33
It's my favourite tool on the Forum.

Providing you just type in a keyword ie; 'Parque' it will list all the thread titles with parque in them from which you can choose, which is the main reason that thread titles and spelling in thread titles is so important.

I use it all the time. As I've said, to me it is the most helpful tool on the board.

Granted, but whats with the "loading......." and then a pop up box? This feature used to be just a "normal" search and not the "live search" that it has morphed into. I've got my head around it now i.e. I have to click on the "live search" button, wait for the pop up box to load and then go back to the search button again ( which has now reverted back to a "normal" search button and finally type in the word that I'm searching for! ( I wish things were simpler but then again I struggle with light switches)

P.S. This is in no way a criticism of the administrators or mods who, imo, are doing a wonderful job!

slodgedad
29-08-2011, 02:18
Granted, but whats with the "loading......." and then a pop up box? This feature used to be just a "normal" search and not the "live search" that it has morphed into. I've got my head around it now i.e. I have to click on the "live search" button, wait for the pop up box to load and then go back to the search button again ( which has now reverted back to a "normal" search button and finally type in the word that I'm searching for! ( I wish things were simpler but then again I struggle with light switches)

P.S. This is in no way a criticism of the administrators or mods who, imo, are doing a wonderful job!

To me that is the best part as you don't need to open a window or tab, you remain in the page you are searching from.

If you don't get the required result just 'blue' it and start again without having to go back and forth.

I think where a lot are getting confused is that they are clicking on Advanced Search afterwards.

Once you have clicked on 'Live Search' and it has loaded, then type in your keyword and WAIT for the results in the box that has opened.