PDA

View Full Version : Burial, Cremation or Liquefaction?

Ed3229
30-08-2011, 15:57
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14114555

Over to you.....

Not sure about this..."Body tissue is dissolved and the liquid poured into the municipal water system. Mr Sullivan, a biochemist by training, says tests have proven the effluent is sterile and contains no DNA, and poses no environmental risk."

dokgolf
30-08-2011, 16:17
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14114555

Over to you.....

Not sure about this..."Body tissue is dissolved and the liquid poured into the municipal water system. Mr Sullivan, a biochemist by training, says tests have proven the effluent is sterile and contains no DNA, and poses no environmental risk."

I would go with the cheapest but that's because I'm a tight-wad!

lozzie1821
30-08-2011, 16:28
Im gonna get buried and back in the UK.. i want people to be sad when i die and haave somewhere they have to go visit me and be sad for and dearly missed...

not cremated and forgotten about or put in an urn in the back of a wardrobe like me uncle was... thats a terrible way 2 carry on once youve died...

sunspot
30-08-2011, 16:38
I dont or wont care either way when im not here but this Liquefaction looks alright to me,end result will be the same as cremation.
Both my parents were cremated and have a lovely place in the church grounds with flowers all around them, a special place for family to go and sit a while.

caroletenerife
30-08-2011, 16:57
I know people that could be doing with all three:D. personally, science can take what they want or need and chuck the rest in the bin, i will be dead so wont need it x

Goforgold
30-08-2011, 17:53
I would go with the cheapest but that's because I'm a tight-wad!

As mentioned on the forum before, we don't have funerals in our close family, not just for cheapness though (although that's a good side effect!! ). :)

Added after 2 minutes:

Im gonna get buried and back in the UK.. i want people to be sad when i die and haave somewhere they have to go visit me and be sad for and dearly missed...

not cremated and forgotten about or put in an urn in the back of a wardrobe like me uncle was... thats a terrible way 2 carry on once youve died...

Now I'm the opposite - I'm not bothered whether I'm remembered or not, in fact I haven't thought about it until I read your post.

cainaries
30-08-2011, 19:37
I shall tell all of you on here so someone can remind OH ... I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered somewhere on a mountain here on LP.

(Isn't this thread just a touch morbid?)

Leam_Lin
30-08-2011, 19:55
When I pop my clogs, any bits that are of use to anyone or for experimenting they are welcome to have, then i'm not sure if you still have to have the remains cremated.

KirstyJay
30-08-2011, 19:56
When my Grandad died he was cremated and we bought a sapling in a 'forest of remembrance' near my Mum's. It's lovely and if we want to go and see him, we can always visit the tree :) The whole family can be scattered there if we like... just add names to the plaque :)

Goforgold
30-08-2011, 19:57
When my Grandad died he was cremated and we bought a sapling in a 'forest of remembrance' near my Mum's. It's lovely and if we want to go and see him, we can always visit the tree :) The whole family can be scattered there if we like... just add names to the plaque :)

We bought and planted a sapling, with a little plaque, for my daughter in a similar type of area. I find going there too painful, but we go occasionally just to make sure it is still well as I would hate something to happen to it.

cainaries
30-08-2011, 19:58
When I pop my clogs, any bits that are of use to anyone or for experimenting they are welcome to have, then i'm not sure if you still have to have the remains cremated.
Good plan! I'm not sure what happens when your body is dedicated to medical research but I suspect your right that the rest is cremated. I don't think anything of mine would be of any use to anyone.

We bought and planted a sapling, with a little plaque, for my daughter in a similar type of area. I find going there too painful, but we go occasionally just to make sure it is still well as I would hate something to happen to it.

I would send you a thanks, GFG, but there's no button.

lozzie1821
30-08-2011, 20:07
As mentioned on the forum before, we don't have funerals in our close family, not just for cheapness though (although that's a good side effect!! ). :)

Added after 2 minutes:
Now I'm the opposite - I'm not bothered whether I'm remembered or not, in fact I haven't thought about it until I read your post.

I already know i want an anti insect coffin to be buried in and people to wear black on the day, i want people to visit me and bring me flowers ( i know not everyone does this)..
I hate the thought of no one visiting my grave though & if your cremated then theres no chance.

I also have no intentions of giving away any working part of me unless its for my kids use as i came into the world with my parts - i intend to leave with as much as them as possible... IF there is something after death and ive given my eyes away, how would i see?? jus a random thing i thought about so am gonna stay on the safe side..

warbey
30-08-2011, 20:29
I think this is a most Personal Subject, and, like others of its kind will have many variations.

I shall be Cremated, with a Friend conducting the Service for Me.

Our Bodies are there to enable Us to0 live on this Earth. When Dead, Our Spirits leave the Body
so really What does it matter?.

My only fear is waking up Trapped inside.....................

Margaretta
30-08-2011, 20:55
[QUOTE=lozzie1821;89990]I already know i want an anti insect coffin to be buried in and people to wear black on the day, i want people to visit me and bring me flowers ( i know not everyone does this)..
I hate the thought of no one visiting my grave though & if your cremated then theres no chance.

Lozzie, you can visit if one is cremated either in the memorial garden or the cemetery, even a forest! Yesterday we visited my Father's Grave in the cemetery. He was buried. In 1992 when he died, Mum chose a headstone and told me that there was plenty of space below it to have her inscription. She was cremated after she died last year, shares the grave with dad and we have just had the stone removed, cleaned and an inscription created for her. It looked grand, really clean marble and two fitting inscriptions beautifully done. It was very expensive but worth it. I feel that when we have planted bulbs and shrubs properly in late Autumn I shall have some kind of closure at last and a place to visit occasionally.
For me: a huge service, everyone to wear brown or purple, a big bar for everyone of my favourite chocolate at the graveside, chocolate marble, a chocolate party .....loads of fun ideas so that the bereaved will enjoy the occasion....oh and cremation so that some of my ashes can be scattered on Teide and some buried in the cemetery. I'm not asking for much but I shall be watching to make sure it's done!!!!!;)

marbro8
30-08-2011, 20:59
if there is enough money left from my estate i want to be cryogenically frozen(if that's the correct spelling?) then when they have found the cure for whatever killed me i can come back and wreak havoc on the world yet again:devil2:

Ecky Thump
30-08-2011, 21:04
I want to be thrown on the compost heap at the Organic Gardens where I have my plot and I hope what ever produce that is grown in the compost sticks in the throat of whoever grows better vegetables than mine.;)

cainaries
30-08-2011, 21:08
I already know i want an anti insect coffin to be buried in and people to wear black on the day, i want people to visit me and bring me flowers ( i know not everyone does this)..

I also have no intentions of giving away any working part of me unless its for my kids use as i came into the world with my parts - i intend to leave with as much as them as possible... IF there is something after death and ive given my eyes away, how would i see?? jus a random thing i thought about so am gonna stay on the safe side..

There was an actor from yesteryear (or earlier) called Robert Morley who asked to be buried with all his credit cards. When someone said he couldn't use them 'on the other side' he asked them how they knew that!

I think this is a most Personal Subject, and, like others of its kind will have many variations.

Our Bodies are there to enable Us to0 live on this Earth. When Dead, Our Spirits leave the Body

You'd better ask for the bell then ... didn't they used to leave a thread with a bell attached above the grave for the person inside to ring ... ??

Ed3229
30-08-2011, 21:10
I shall tell all of you on here so someone can remind OH ... I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered somewhere on a mountain here on LP.

Reading some of the posts im sure people have had a think of someone they loved and miss very much.....

cainaries
30-08-2011, 21:23
Reading some of the posts im sure people have had a think of someone they loved and miss very much.....

Ed, you're absolutely right. As threads so often do, this meandered down a few paths. Thank you for starting it ... prompted me and OH to think about past and future.

wen53
31-08-2011, 00:19
I want to do the same as my grandma and donate my body to the local university as a cadaver. I am already an organ donor so this is just a step further.
I want just a small memorial party where I want everyone to get drunk and have a laugh. No sadness please.

MaxineC
31-08-2011, 00:29
I can't read all of this thread, it's far too morbid for such a gentle soul, like me... :angel:

However, buried all the way please... Fire is one of my main fears, so ABSOLUTELY no cremation... and this is stated in my will, and discussed openly with my family - I also know their wishes, and will carry them out if needed!

But, I would like to say thank you to Lozzie... we may not sure the same views, but she does make me smile.... :D

EDIT: Already given reasons why I won't read the whole thread, but... You list burial, cremation, liquefaction and 'other'... what falls into 'other'? :eek:

slodgedad
31-08-2011, 00:47
I can't read all of this thread, it's far too morbid for such a gentle soul, like me... :angel:

However, buried all the way please... Fire is one of my main fears, so ABSOLUTELY no cremation... and this is stated in my will, and discussed openly with my family - I also know their wishes, and will carry them out if needed!

But, I would like to say thank you to Lozzie... we may not sure the same views, but she does make me smile.... :D

EDIT: Already given reasons why I won't read the whole thread, but... You list burial, cremation, liquefaction and 'other'... what falls into 'other'? :eek:I was wondering that, too...Cryogenics perhaps? :devil2:

MaxineC
31-08-2011, 00:55
I was wondering that, too...Cryogenics perhaps? :devil2:

I thought that too, or your body left to those wacky Austrian pathologists, and be part of a tv screened autopsy!! :V3: However, I believe my corpse could baffle them... :D

wen53
31-08-2011, 00:57
I chose other as I want my body to go to medical students as a cadaver. My grandma went for this option.

slodgedad
31-08-2011, 00:58
I thought that too, or your body left to those wacky Austrian pathologists, and be part of a tv screened autopsy!! :V3: However, I believe my corpse could baffle them... :DDon't doubt that for a moment..:D

Jackie
31-08-2011, 07:38
Sadly a very close friend of ours passed away a couple of weeks ago at the age of 49. He was cremated and his wife and daughters decided that they would not bury his ashes but scatter some of them at the river where he was a permanent fixture while fishing and with the rest they are having paper weights made for each of them. I know it sounds weird doesn't it? but I remember seeing on TV a few years ago a woman who actually does this. It's not cheap, about 300 pound each but it is something they have decided to do and if that helps them deal with their loss then so be it.

Another good friend of ours has already planned his service, right down to the music. He is going to be cremated but his coffin will enter to a Guns and Roses song, his coffin will enter the furnace to the song 'Fire', can't remember the artist and as people leave the church 'Always look on the bright side of Life' will be played.

For me personally I want to be buried. This is no disrespect to people that have had loved ones cremated but I always remember my Mum had a saying 'Bury your treasure and burn your rubbish'. I would like to think I am someones treasure;) Also no morbid colours clothes wise and loads of White Lilies please :)

Goforgold
31-08-2011, 08:46
I'm sorry to hear of your loss Jacquie, we too lost a very close friend recently.

Myself I couldn't cope with a paperweight but whatever helps anyone cope with the loss of a loved one is great so long as it brings comfort.

The funeral of our friend was last Friday and he had written a 'farewell' which was read out by his 15 year old son. I found it of great comfort. Our friend started off by saying that he would rather be sitting with us than on centre stage....... It included humour and sadness.

It was a humanist ceremony and although I don't go to funerals and as I've often said we don't have funerals in our family, I went to support the children and their mother. I was dreading having to go, but I have to admit the eulogies talking of his life and his own farewell have been of great comfort to me. My friend had chosen his music too and at the end they played Life's Been Good To Me, by Joe Walsh.

Whatever gets you through is my motto.

TOTO 99
31-08-2011, 09:11

Warbey, no matter how many times I look at your post, the second line still reads "I shall be cremated with a friend"..lol..How bizzare would that be? :D

Sundowner
31-08-2011, 10:21
if there is enough money left from my estate i want to be cryogenically frozen(if that's the correct spelling?) then when they have found the cure for whatever killed me i can come back and wreak havoc on the world yet again:devil2:

That sounds like a good plan :) The only thing that would worry me is with the forecast population rise and the food shortages this will cause, someone might defrost you in the future and turn you into a big mac :)

Goforgold
31-08-2011, 15:39
Warbey, no matter how many times I look at your post, the second line still reads "I shall be cremated with a friend"..lol..How bizzare would that be? :D

It would depend on which 'friend' it was!! :)

dokgolf
31-08-2011, 15:49
I want to be buried (probably). I also intend ( to paraphrase Billy Connolly) to have the first line of my epitaph as follows

"I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK!"

Goforgold
31-08-2011, 15:59
I want to be buried (probably). I also intend ( to paraphrase Billy Connolly) to have the first line of my epitaph as follows

"I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK!"

That was Spike Milligan's it's on his tombstone - "I TOLD YOU I WAS ILL"

Connolly must have nicked it!! :)

Ed3229
31-08-2011, 17:55

Its in Latin as the church would not let him have it in English it says "Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"

Goforgold
31-08-2011, 18:18
Its in Latin as the church would not let him have it in English it says "Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"

Thank you for that information Ed - the OH had confirmed it was on his tombstone and I said "you'd better be right "!! ;)

marbro8
31-08-2011, 18:46
That sounds like a good plan :) The only thing that would worry me is with the forecast population rise and the food shortages this will cause, someone might defrost you in the future and turn you into a big mac :)well they would get good value for money cus i'm 13 stone:crylaughing:

dokgolf
31-08-2011, 18:53

No, I got it wrong!:ashamed: It happens now and again. I think Connolly actually said "Is it that time already?"

It's actually Irish not Latin.:)

warbey
31-08-2011, 20:34
I believe in reincarnation as another being.
Having a frozen Body revived in 30+ years would create a bit of trouble in My Book..
We all need to move on..dont We?

chifleta
31-08-2011, 21:58
although my insurance thingy says i'm going to be cremated here in Tenerife, I'm actually going to get some info about donating my body to science, which you can do here - I'd like the hospital to use anything they can to save someone elses life first though... then the scientists can have the scraps :)

Added after 8 minutes:

hahaha many many moons ago I worked as a "financial adviser" (ughhh insurance sales sucks), it's probably the only thing that really hit home, burial insurance....

so it was one of the first things I organised when me and OH bought our apartment - costs about 3k for cremation nowadays, crazy, and I know of people who hadn't organised themselves and their kids had to pay :( ....

I like the idea of being scattered up the mountain .... though I don't think there'll be much of me left LOL

babybadger
31-08-2011, 22:31
Well sod that , I'm not going to go in a F**king blender! Who came up with the name/idea of 'liquefication'? it reminds me of the monty python sketch 'bury her, burn her or dump her'

Carol55
31-08-2011, 22:41
I want to be thrown on the compost heap at the Organic Gardens where I have my plot and I hope what ever produce that is grown in the compost sticks in the throat of whoever grows better vegetables than mine.;)

So, there will be no change from your present state of static vegetation.:crylaughing::crylaughing::run:

Ed3229
01-09-2011, 06:44
No, I got it wrong!:ashamed: It happens now and again. I think Connolly actually said "Is it that time already?"

It's actually Irish not Latin.:)

Sorry miss quote from bbc website I cant tell Irish from Latin LOL

Goforgold
01-09-2011, 07:52

From my one year doing Latin, I was a bit confused, but then I never did listen !! :)

dokgolf
01-09-2011, 09:33

Shame on you! Go stand in the corner!

marbro8
01-09-2011, 18:55
[QUOTE=chifleta;90579]although my insurance thingy says i'm going to be cremated here in Tenerife, I'm actually going to get some info about donating my body to science, which you can do here - I'd like the hospital to use anything they can to save someone elses life first though... then the scientists can have the scraps :)

Added after 8 minuteswell i don't think my kidney's or liver would do anyone any good:D

kingbaker
01-09-2011, 19:21
[QUOTE=chifleta;90579]although my insurance thingy says i'm going to be cremated here in Tenerife, I'm actually going to get some info about donating my body to science, which you can do here - I'd like the hospital to use anything they can to save someone elses life first though... then the scientists can have the scraps :)

Added after 8 minuteswell i don't think my kidney's or liver would do anyone any good:D

OH! How Offal :ashamed: :ashamed:

Thought we might get a Kate and Sidney Pie at least :tiphat: :tiphat:

chifleta
01-09-2011, 20:31
[QUOTE=marbro8;90994]

OH! How Offal :ashamed: :ashamed:

Thought we might get a Kate and Sidney Pie at least :tiphat: :tiphat:

:laugh::spin::laugh::fpull: too funny :-D

babybadger
27-09-2011, 19:49
they should offer something like 'shark bait' as well....

Moore
15-12-2011, 10:03
Liquefaction...i will prefer it... beacuse it is environment friendly... and it is green alternative to cremation and works by dissolving the body in heated alkaline water.

Ecky Thump
15-12-2011, 10:18
Liquefaction...i will prefer it... beacuse it is environment friendly... and it is green alternative to cremation and works by dissolving the body in heated alkaline water.

What a cheerful first post, most people tell us about themselves before we do away with them.:cheeky:

Welcome to the forum.:)

Oh, now I see why you posted, your signature says it all!!::(