PDA

View Full Version : Travel Whats the law on carrying dogs in a car in Tenerife?

Kande
31-08-2011, 14:14
Hi,

Just want to know what rules apply for dog safety in cars. Does anyone know?

I drive around with a couple of dogs in the back seat of my 2 door saxo and donīt really want to be fined by the police.

As people have to belt up in the back seats I would imagine dogs would need to be secured in some way.

The dogs are really good passengers. I havent bothered to attach their leash to anything, mainly because theyīre good! and I canīt find anything to attach it to!

I know you can buy a dog guard but this is not really suitable for my small car.

casabonny
31-08-2011, 15:05
Legally dogs should be in the rear of a car behind a dog guard.If in a car such as yours they should be restrained with a harnesss attached/plugged into the seat belt.
I understand your dilema but the police can be funny sometimes and others take no notice.
Apart from meaning that your dog is safe and restrained in the event of an accident it also means that you or the passengers do not get a dog hurled at you at speed in an accident.
Common sense should prevail but to be on the safe side I would at the very least restrain them with a harness plugged into the rear seatbelt.

Pets@Home
31-08-2011, 22:37
Hi ideally a dog guard. If not u can buy these things that go into the floor of the car and u attach the lead to it, enabling them to not go forward if u brake hard. The fines are 100 Euros per dog if u are caught with them loose ......

slodgedad
31-08-2011, 23:41
Hi ideally a dog guard. If not u can buy these things that go into the floor of the car and u attach the lead to it, enabling them to not go forward if u brake hard. The fines are 100 Euros per dog if u are caught with them loose ......

Are you sure? My old lady won't go in the car but I often give lifts to people with dogs.

If this is true then I'm gonna have to think twice.

Andy0210
01-09-2011, 03:02
Yep it is true, i lent my van to my mate Ian recently, he has two British Bulldogs, the female was in season so he took her with him, he got stop checked by the Guardia at Las Chafiras.

The female bulldog was fast asleep on the passenger seat causing no trouble whatsoever the whole time of the spot check, the Guardia Officer checked all his paper work, all of the van paperwork, the insurance etc and nothing was found to be wrong.

He then got his machine out and fined him 100€ for having an unsecured dog in a vehicle.

Albeit a sleeping one that hadnīt moved for the last 15 minutes despite all the commotion! :rolleyes:

Pets@Home
01-09-2011, 09:33
Are you sure? My old lady won't go in the car but I often give lifts to people with dogs.

If this is true then I'm gonna have to think twice.

Hi yes I concurr with Andy, my groomer got stopped and fined accordingly. The attachements are not expensive neither is a dog guard but necessary ............

TIGER LILY
01-09-2011, 11:16
Yep it is true, i lent my van to my mate Ian recently, he has two British Bulldogs, the female was in season so he took her with him, he got stop checked by the Guardia at Las Chafiras.

The female bulldog was fast asleep on the passenger seat causing no trouble whatsoever the whole time of the spot check, the Guardia Officer checked all his paper work, all of the van paperwork, the insurance etc and nothing was found to be wrong.

He then got his machine out and fined him 100€ for having an unsecured dog in a vehicle.

Albeit a sleeping one that hadnīt moved for the last 15 minutes despite all the commotion! :rolleyes:
OMG that was bas luck. But understand the need for their safety and the drivers safety that the dog be secured. Shame more people don't get fined for unsecured kids!!!!!!!!

cainaries
01-09-2011, 11:38
A friend of mine got fined for having an unsecured dog IN A PARKED CAR! She has the dog guard but since she was parked had let the dog come and sit with her whilst waiting for her OH outside a shop. You have been warned.

TIGER LILY
01-09-2011, 13:38
A friend of mine got fined for having an unsecured dog IN A PARKED CAR! She has the dog guard but since she was parked had let the dog come and sit with her whilst waiting for her OH outside a shop. You have been warned.
That's just too much!!!!!!!!! What about sat in the car on a car park with kids not belted up??????

slodgedad
01-09-2011, 13:45
What exactly is secured, as far as the old bill are concerned?

How can you fit a dog guard in an ordinary hatchback?

Andy0210
01-09-2011, 14:17
What exactly is secured, as far as the old bill are concerned?

How can you fit a dog guard in an ordinary hatchback?

Take the parcel shelf out and use a universal dog guard such as this one,

http://www.cmkingandsons.co.uk/Trailer2C_Car_and_Bike_Accessories_Universal_Dog_G uard.asp

or a dog car harness such as this one

http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/products/Dog-%26-Co--Dog-Car-Harness-1%22-X-24%252d36%22-L%7B47%7Dxl--Sand%7B47%7Dbrown.html

slodgedad
01-09-2011, 14:43
Take the parcel shelf out and use a universal dog guard such as this one,

http://www.cmkingandsons.co.uk/Trailer2C_Car_and_Bike_Accessories_Universal_Dog_G uard.asp

or a dog car harness such as this one

http://www.vetmedsdirect.co.uk/products/Dog-%26-Co--Dog-Car-Harness-1%22-X-24%252d36%22-L%7B47%7Dxl--Sand%7B47%7Dbrown.html

Thanks, Andy. I don't suppose an ordinary harness would do with the seat belt threaded through it, or does it have to be purpose made?

Andy0210
01-09-2011, 14:56
Thanks, Andy. I don't suppose an ordinary harness would do with the seat belt threaded through it, or does it have to be purpose made?

Iīm no expert but in my opinion the car harness looks pretty much like an ordinary harness and the dog would be secured so i would guess yes it would be ok.

I think it would take a pretty peeīd off policeman to fine you if you had gone to that trouble to secure the dog.

Tojack
01-09-2011, 17:16
Normal harness Slodge and the shortest lead you can find.Mother in law use's them no problem in uk.

nath
13-09-2011, 23:51
Any one know where to get a dog guard in Tenerife? (for a Seat Ibiza). And how much are they over here? Thanks!!!

TenerifePool
14-09-2011, 00:01
Secured means that the dog must not be able to enter the front of the car and distract the driver.

For small cars a small elasticated net available at many pet stores, can be fitted accross the back of the driver and passenger seat blocking access to the front for any dogs (or children) on the back seat.

Dustygouv
15-09-2011, 11:04

If you have ordinary harness you can buy a seatbelt attachment from pet shops, it's like a small lead with a seatbelt clip on the end :)