PDA

View Full Version : What do you call a group of cats?

cainaries
02-09-2011, 18:18
You have a pack of dogs, a herd of cows, a flock of sheep etc. but what is the collective noun for a group of cats? Or isn't there one they being too independent.

OST
02-09-2011, 18:23
It a pride of lions but never heard of anything for cats

AL JAY
02-09-2011, 18:26
Its a Clowder of Cats! So my mate Google says!

CIM
02-09-2011, 18:27
There are different ones for different cats as follows:

dout of cats (house cats)
nuisance of cats (house cats)
kendle of cats (kittens)
kindle of cats (kittens)
litter of cats (kittens)
destruction of cats (wild cats)
asylum of cats (catmen)

YOUNG GOLFER
02-09-2011, 18:27
Yes google is a good way to find out.

CIM
02-09-2011, 18:29
Some more from Wikipedia:
A clowder of cats
A clutter (or cluster) of cats
A glaring of cats

AL JAY
02-09-2011, 18:30
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collective_nouns_by_subject_A-H

doreen
02-09-2011, 18:41
... and a colony ???

Ecky Thump
02-09-2011, 18:47
A group of cats is call "Women" or a "Harem".;)

Sal
02-09-2011, 18:50
A group of cats is call "Women" or a "Harem".;)

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Naughty Eric! :twak:

TOTO 99
02-09-2011, 18:53
Spice Girls........

cainaries
02-09-2011, 19:06
A kindle of cats... well, I never. I thought it was a made-up word for the electronic reader.

Goforgold
02-09-2011, 20:02
A kindle of cats... well, I never. I thought it was a made-up word for the electronic reader.

I did too - I thought CIM was being funny - as in ha ha!! :)

cainaries
02-09-2011, 20:04
I did too - I thought CIM was being funny - as in ha ha!! :)

Kindle was the last word I wanted to hear today, tbh!

slodgedad
02-09-2011, 21:59
A 'meeting up of' (At Veronicas)..:wow:

henry
02-09-2011, 22:06
i allways thought a group of cats were called (pounce) and kittens called (intrigue) oh well!! take one to know one!!

cainaries
02-09-2011, 22:29
i allways thought a group of cats were called (pounce) and kittens called (intrigue) oh well!! take one to know one!!

I love a 'pounce' of cats! Don't care what the official term might be, that's it for me, thanks henry.

henry
02-09-2011, 22:33
no problem!!!

slodgedad
02-09-2011, 22:43
Must agree. That, if not the official term, should be the one..
I love a 'pounce' of cats! Don't care what the official term might be, that's it for me, thanks henry.

phillever
02-09-2011, 23:13
This same question was asked on celebrity eggheads last week, answer was clowder.

slodgedad
02-09-2011, 23:25
This same question was asked on celebrity eggheads last week, answer was clowder.

Duh................Let's start a petition,....Pounce is the one.....;)

Pets@Home
02-09-2011, 23:53
Everyone knows its Cats having a chat lol ........

cainaries
03-09-2011, 00:00

So sorry I must seem a bit unoriginal to you but I've never even heard of celebrity eggheads. Question was prompted by one of those round robin emails from a friend which mentioned, amongst other things, a mischief of rats ... but didn't include cats which is why I asked.

Pets@Home
03-09-2011, 00:05
Everyone knows its Cats having a chat lol ........

As I said before its Cats having a chat or in this instance a Secret Meeting of Kitties, Jog on Kitties

Medman
03-09-2011, 09:06
A group of cats is too many cats......... can't stand the self centered, urinating blighters :sorry:

Bobby
03-09-2011, 09:44
A group of cats is too many cats......... can't stand the self centered, urinating blighters :sorry:

There, there Medman I thought you were a feline friend.

Medman
03-09-2011, 09:49
There, there Medman I thought you were a feline friend.

Just feline a bit grumpy this morning ! :D

cainaries
03-09-2011, 09:55
As I said before its Cats having a chat or in this instance a Secret Meeting of Kitties, Jog on Kitties

That looks more like a group chow down! The tortie on the far right reminded me of my beautiful cat Dilly (RIP). Funny how you get those colours here which you wouldn't see in such huge bold patches on UK cats.

willowlily
03-09-2011, 10:22
You have a pack of dogs, a herd of cows, a flock of sheep etc. but what is the collective noun for a group of cats? Or isn't there one they being too independent.

thanks for this thread cainaries, i do so enjoy exploring, informative threads
do anyone know where the word clowder comes from is it latin, germanic or perhaps derived from an african word

doreen
03-09-2011, 12:22
thanks for this thread cainaries, i do so enjoy exploring, informative threads
do anyone know where the word clowder comes from is it latin, germanic or perhaps derived from an african word

Clowder of cats - a group of cats
There is a 15th century reference to clouder and later crowder in the book of St Alban. It meant a variety of things but mainly a crowd, or cluster, clotting, coagulating. It appears to be a word which predates the Mayflower pilgrims who sailed from Plymouth by a couple of hundred years. Source (http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/phrases.htm)
OR
"Clowder" is the correct term for a group of cats. It is an old word for "clutter," an apt name for a gathering of cats that has, perhaps, overrun a farm in response to a plague of mice or rats.
A group of kittens or young cats had a special name: they were called a "kyndyll," or "kindle," of kittens. This is based on the old definition of the verb "to kindle," which described it as "bringing forth" or "giving birth to young." So a kyndyll of cats was simply a group of felines that had, not so long ago, been brought into the world. Source (http://www.kinrossfolds.com/cattery/catzenglish.html#anchor922141)
OR
Clowder is said to be a variation the word "clodder that means a clotted mass from the era 1795–1805. The verb "to clodder" means to clot or coagulate. There is also the word "clotter" that means to huddle together2. Clotter is an obsolete word and the word "clutter" has it origins in the word "clotter" from 1550 - 15603. From 1811 clowder is said to be a variation of the verb "to clutter"4.
An entirely different source5 says that the word originates from the 15th century in reference to "clouder" and then later "crowder" in the book of St. Alban. This word meant crowd, cluster, clotting or coagulating. There is a town named after St. Alban called St.Albans about 20 miles north of London, England,. Source (http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/Clowder.html)

Pets@Home
03-09-2011, 12:54

Well thats plain not very nice Medman, they are one of the most cleanist animals on the planet, perhaps they dont like u lol ......

Added after 17 minutes:

That looks more like a group chow down! The tortie on the far right reminded me of my beautiful cat Dilly (RIP). Funny how you get those colours here which you wouldn't see in such huge bold patches on UK cats.

Hi yes I adopted the Mother and her 3 Kittens about 5 years ago, they were abandoned in my Apartment, she told me she had one cat, so obv fell in love, this is them now ...... The Bright Coloured Tortie is the Mother called Chiquita, the pale coloured Tortie is the Daughter called Chica, The Black Cat Male is called Spook and the Ginger Male Cat is called Tilly on his passport but I call him Ginge ......

not sure how the men got into the picture sorry ........

Medman
03-09-2011, 13:46
Well thats plain not very nice Medman, they are one of the most cleanist animals on the planet, perhaps they dont like u lol ......

As you've guessed I'm not a cat lover, so won't be upset if they don't like me. All about freedom of choice. Some people love 'em some hate 'em. c'est la vie. :cheeky:

cainaries
03-09-2011, 14:04

Added after 17 minutes:

Hi yes I adopted the Mother and her 3 Kittens about 5 years ago, they were abandoned in my Apartment, she told me she had one cat, so obv fell in love, this is them now ...... The Bright Coloured Tortie is the Mother called Chiquita, the pale coloured Tortie is the Daughter called Chica, The Black Cat Male is called Spook and the Ginger Male Cat is called Tilly on his passport but I call him Ginge ......

not sure how the men got into the picture sorry ........

Well, the cats are gorgeous ... but I'll leave it at that!

Cairo
03-09-2011, 14:36
A choir.....? :D