PDA

View Full Version : What is the law regarding faulty electricals from a shop in Tenerife?

dixie4
05-09-2011, 11:02
I bought a small electrical item from Hiper Trebol with 2 year guarantee. It has been used about 10 times and now gone faulty.

They say it is nothing to do with them it is only a manufacturers guarantee so I have to take it to Santa Cruz! As the item was only 30 euro it would not be worth it.

How does the law work in Tenerife?

What are my rights?

Are they just fobbing me off?

In UK the onus is on the shop to resolve is Spain Different?

I need an answer quickly I have a meeting with the manager later today

Goldenmaniac
05-09-2011, 12:24
In the first year of purchase you go back to the shop, but in the second year of the guarantee you have to contact the manufacturer direct- who is the manufacturer? It may be that they have a pick up service in the south.

9PLUS
05-09-2011, 12:30
Cris Abora in the el Camison area offer a 1st & 2nd year in shop solution for those thinking of purchasing electrical items in Tenerife south

TIS
05-09-2011, 13:26
In the first year of purchase you go back to the shop, but in the second year of the guarantee you have to contact the manufacturer direct- who is the manufacturer? It may be that they have a pick up service in the south.
Why do shops tell you that you only have 15 days in which to return items?

Goldenmaniac
05-09-2011, 14:28
Because up to 15 days they will exchange it or take it back even if it's not faulty, as long as you have packaging usually, after that it depends on the nature of the fault as to whether they exchange or send for repair from the shop. After the year is up you have to deal with the manufacturer.

If you feel the shop is not dealing with you fairly you can contact Oficina del Consumidor - have a look here
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#consumers or go to your local town hall office.

dixie4
05-09-2011, 16:53

The manufacturer is Severin. The quality of the item is very poor.

Goldenmaniac
05-09-2011, 20:02
Maybe worth dropping them a line ? http://www.severin.com/Service/Support/Contact can't hurt...

dixie4
06-09-2011, 08:59
Maybe worth dropping them a line ? http://www.severin.com/Service/Support/Contact can't hurt...

Must have been thought transferrance I did just that yesterday. No reply from Severin as yet.

Ecky Thump
06-09-2011, 09:06
I bought a small electrical item from Hiper Trebol with 2 year guarantee. It has been used about 10 times and now gone faulty.
Are they just fobbing me off?

In UK the onus is on the shop to resolve is Spain Different?

I need an answer quickly I have a meeting with the manager later today

Must have been thought transferrance I did just that yesterday. No reply from Severin as yet.

What did the manager say yesterday, was he/she helpful with your complaint?

dixie4
06-09-2011, 10:11
What did the manager say yesterday, was he/she helpful with your complaint?

Not the slightest bit of help. Had a slight language problem, my Spanish is very basic and her English was just as basic.

The out come was that she did try and phone the Serverin service place in Santa Cruz and received no reply. Her stance was that the store would cover up to 12 months the second year would have to be dealt with by Severin. (I bought the item when on holiday last year only for use here in Spain, used it only 10 times max)

I told her that I would be visiting the Oficina De Consumo and I did ask for the odes de reclamores (not sure I have spelt that right but I did have it written down at the time)

Her answer was a shrug of the shoulders as in do what you like. I also think that it was a refusal of the official complaints form. She did agree to phone them again this morning and I left my phone number I am not holding my breath.

For a simple problem that could be rectified so easily by a replacement item it just causes such time wasting and bad feeling all round.

I will not buy small electrical items in Spain ever again and certainly never Serverin and not from Hiper Trebol

The pair of them need some customer service training.

canarybird
06-09-2011, 10:36
Dixie4 perhaps she didn't understand you when you asked for the odes de reclamores. What you wanted was the "libro de reclamaciones".

If she just shrugged her shoulders she probably didn't understand what you were saying. I guess if the item is more than a year old it has to be exchanged by the manufacturer's representative, which unfortunately is a big nuisance as it's in Sta. Cruz.

And I agree that better service training is much needed here.
After all...the customer is always right. It's not good for their business to make things difficult.
However perhaps she can get some results this morning, as she did offer to try again at the Severin service office.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Canarybird

9PLUS
06-09-2011, 19:16
Lets try and look at this from another angle dixie4

If I walked into your shop and start going on about Oficina de Consumo this and that

Knowing full well that the item was purchased more than a year ago

Knowing the item had a 2 year warranty,

Knowing the first year in store and second year with the manufacturers prior to your meeting with the manager

Would you think i just didn't get it or i was tapped in the head???

Ecky Thump
06-09-2011, 19:20
Lets try and look at this from another angle dixie4

If I walked into your shop
Would you think i just didn't get it or i was tapped in the head???

I think we all know the answer to that one!;)

dixie4
07-09-2011, 00:02
I think we all know the answer to that one!;)

And the answer to that one is?

9PLUS
07-09-2011, 00:16
And the answer to that one is?

You'll probably waste a little bit of local folks money by pursuing this claim

when you should maybe just think of pursuing it with Severin service office

dixie4
07-09-2011, 00:46
You'll probably waste a little bit of local folks money by pursuing this claim

when you should maybe just think of pursuing it with Severin service office

The threat of complaining to the consumer office was a suggestion from another forum member if all else failed.

For a 30 euro item it would not be worth it.

In reality my beef is that the packaging has in large letters 2 year guarantee printed on the outside.

It would seem irrelevant that the item was used 10 times 12 months ago and put away in a drawer.

The 2 year guarantee is what made me buy the item.

In truth the two year guarantee is just media hype and means nothing it is just to much inconvenience to pursue it.

Severin can not be bothered to answer my email after two days.

Hiper Trebol are side stepping their responsibilities and as far as I am concerned I will shop elsewhere in future.

9PLUS
07-09-2011, 01:06
Was it the responsibility of the store to solve a faulty item within the first year?

and the responsibility of the manufacturer to solve a faulty item up until the second year ends?

If so this constitutes to a 2 year warranty right?

The advice that another forum member gave you is good sound advice but could only be used as a tactic if you had returned it before the first year of warranty had elapsed which is not the case in this instant

If the item has been used only 10 times, 12 months ago that is indeed irrelevant to the shop manager and the warranty because they dont deal with faulty item/claims after a year

Was your e-mail in English?

Was it sent to someone who would understand the e-mail in the language you sent it in?

The item has a 2 year guarantee printed on the outside of the box apparently the 1st year..............you know the drill

Nearly everything sold in Spain has a 2 year warranty

In truth the two year guarantee is just media hype and means nothing it is just to much inconvenience to pursue it.

Would you agree that you have been pursuing the wrong means?

See if these can help you 902 222 239 SEVERIN Tenerife

dixie4
07-09-2011, 06:22
Was it sent to someone who would understand the e-mail in the language you sent it in?

Yes, the email I sent was in English on the English part of Severins web site.

The item has a 2 year guarantee printed on the outside of the box apparently the 1st year..............you know the drill

Nearly everything sold in Spain has a 2 year warranty

See if these can help you 902 222 239 SEVERIN
Tenerife
Thanks for the telephone number I will give it a try later today, I do hope someone speaks English my Spanish is very basic.

9PLUS
07-09-2011, 08:06
I do hope someone speaks English my Spanish is very basic.

This is more than likely one of the main problems you have encountered, Go Learn Spanish

dixie4
09-09-2011, 09:58
Learn better Spanish is the way forward. I can get by until it gets technical or the speech is too fast.

The problem has now been resolved and the Service centre in S Cruz could not have been more helpful. No one spoke English but they spoke slowly and were very considerate. Which is just as well really as the new iron, kettle, microwave and a few more bits and pieces are all Severin branded.

I do think that in the first instance at Trebol I got the wrong person. Once I got to a nice person who wanted to help I had cracked it. That particular wonderful young lady had explained everything to the service agent, it was plain sailing. Mind you I could have strangled the Trebol supervisor that strutted around and shouted across the store 'No Telephono' to her. As soon as she had turned her back the young lady phoned anyway.

I would like to say thanks to yourself and all the others that responded with words of wisdom and helping me with the law as it is here.:)

9PLUS
09-09-2011, 15:49
Thats good enjoy your rollers

x