PDA

View Full Version : Newbies just want to say "Hello"

IgelEi
06-09-2011, 11:35
We just wanted to inroduce ourselves - a British married couple just coming up to retirement, probably joining the ranks of the swallows, although, admittedly, we´ve never been to the Canaries. The forum has taught us a lot about life there . What a great "institution"! The main lesson we´ve learnt is that we should rent first and have a good look round. Second lesson: avoid estate agents. Third lesson: learn Spanish. We´ll be looking for somewhere quiet, so we should avoid the compex complexes, right? Trouble is we don´t speak Spanish, but we´ll be working on it.... Can we get on OK in Playa San Juan with only very basic Spanish? Cheers, Neil and Christine

dokgolf
06-09-2011, 11:38
Just to point out that they're are very good estate agents here who are members and who personally I would have no qualms in dealing with.

Ed3229
06-09-2011, 11:46
Just to point out that they're are very good estate agents here who are members and who personally I would have no qualms in dealing with.

I second that..........Welcome to the forum Neil and Christine :welcome::agree:

IgelEi
06-09-2011, 11:53
Sorry, I didn´t wish to malign estate agents at all, but I remember reading that using this forum often means getting a better deal, thanks to the direct contact. Another tip was driving around, noting the telephone numbers on the "for sale" and "for rent" signs on the buildings and calling direct.

Goforgold
06-09-2011, 12:15
We just wanted to inroduce ourselves - a British married couple just coming up to retirement, probably joining the ranks of the swallows, although, admittedly, we´ve never been to the Canaries. The forum has taught us a lot about life there . What a great "institution"! The main lesson we´ve learnt is that we should rent first and have a good look round. Second lesson: avoid estate agents. Third lesson: learn Spanish. We´ll be looking for somewhere quiet, so we should avoid the compex complexes, right? Trouble is we don´t speak Spanish, but we´ll be working on it.... Can we get on OK in Playa San Juan with only very basic Spanish? Cheers, Neil and Christine

Welcome - looks as though the info on the forum has been a great help to you. Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you were thinking of Playa San Juan?

IgelEi
06-09-2011, 12:24
Having studied the information on the internet, it seems to have a lot going for it - still quite Spanish, but has a British expat community - away from the 18-30 strongholds - nice marina and beach - bars, restaurants - between north and south - near the new motorway - prices to rise in th next 10 years?? etc. If you know of any else suitable for us, we´d love to hear from you!

Megaloo
06-09-2011, 12:26
Hello and welcome.
I would first of all think you should visit the Island and tour around yourself before deciding where to stay, it would be difficult for anyone to recommend a place because you are in the dark having not been here.

Goforgold
06-09-2011, 12:35
Having studied the information on the internet, it seems to have a lot going for it - still quite Spanish, but has a British expat community - away from the 18-30 strongholds - nice marina and beach - bars, restaurants - between north and south - near the new motorway - prices to rise in th next 10 years?? etc. If you know of any else suitable for us, we´d love to hear from you!

As Megaloo says, you need to come over and see for yourself. PSJ isn't too bad a place to start though.

junetta
06-09-2011, 12:43
We have lived in Playa San Juan for almost ten years and love it. The Spanish language was necessary back then but I´ve found that we use it less these days. Nearly forty bars, lovely harbour but not too noisy. Perfect!

Jackie Buyer
06-09-2011, 12:48
Welcome Neil & Christine, I'm sure you will get all the information you need on this Forum

IgelEi
06-09-2011, 13:46
We have lived in Playa San Juan for almost ten years and love it. The Spanish language was necessary back then but I´ve found that we use it less these days. Nearly forty bars, lovely harbour but not too noisy. Perfect!

Now that´s what I call en endorsement! Thanks for this! Yes, we have to start our search somewhere, so why not PSJ?

sunspot
06-09-2011, 14:42
Hi Neil and Christine , a very warm welcome to the forum

IgelEi
06-09-2011, 14:47
Many thanks everyone for the warm welcome! We appreciate it and look forward to keeping in touch in future.

YOUNG GOLFER
07-09-2011, 01:21

As a estate agent i would say this.....rent in a few places be it PSJ , Golf Del Sur or even up north PDLC.... move around a bit and see what suits you best.

We as a forum will help you by giving loads of free advice but please don't knock all Estate Agents we are not all bad.

IgelEi
07-09-2011, 03:33
As a estate agent i would say this.....rent in a few places be it PSJ , Golf Del Sur or even up north PDLC.... move around a bit and see what suits you best.

We as a forum will help you by giving loads of free advice but please don't knock all Estate Agents we are not all bad.

I´m sure many people on this forum have had positive and negative experience with estate agents. I´ve just sold my property in France via an excellent agent. Hüwever, I´ve used agents in the past who did an extremely bad job. There are good and not so good people in every section of business. If you look again at what I wrote in the thread, I explained that it was not my intention to malign estate agents in any way, but to look for direct contact to sellers and "letters" (interesting how the verb "to let" has almost disappeared from modern usage) in order to get a better deal. That´s one of the tips I took on board from this forum. I hope I´ve managed to clarify this misunderstanding - no offence meant.

MaxineC
14-09-2011, 00:10
Welcome Christine & Neil.... your surname isn't Hamilton, by chance is it? :eek: :D

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and find your utopia here on the island ;)

caroletenerife
14-09-2011, 02:09
Welcome Christine & Neil.... your surname isn't Hamilton, by chance is it? :eek: :D

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and find your utopia here on the island ;)
I was thinking the same :laugh:
Welcome to you both x

IgelEi
14-09-2011, 08:48

No, we´re the other ones! Thanks for your kind wishes.

slodgedad
16-09-2011, 00:08
Hi, and a warm welcome to the Tenerife Forum.

Hope you enjoy it as much as me.

:typing::typing:

Flossieinpink
16-09-2011, 00:21
Good :wave:luck on your new life in Tenerife and hope you continue to enjoy the Forum....

IgelEi
16-09-2011, 11:34
Hi, and a warm welcome to the Tenerife Forum.

Hope you enjoy it as much as me.

:typing::typing:

Thanks a lot slodgedad - I´m already enjoying the forum lots- it´s full of interesting informatiom. Hope you manage to get out of the doghouse soon!!:)

Added after 5 minutes:

Good :wave:luck on your new life in Tenerife and hope you continue to enjoy the Forum....

Cheers Flossieinpink! I love your photo! What a bundle of fun!!