PDA

View Full Version : How do I order mashed potato in a Canarian restaurant?

cainaries
06-09-2011, 22:31
(I can do the twist)

Seriously though can you get mashed potato on a menu in a Canarian restaurant? I don't even know what it's called.

Our neighbours very kindly gave us a huge bonato (no enne on here) and we have had 3 meals out of it including one of mash but I don't know how to explain this to them.

ameliar
06-09-2011, 23:05
puré de patatas

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2011, 23:07
you beat me to it .........:D

slodgedad
06-09-2011, 23:08
puré de patatas

The problem is that mashed potatoes in Tenerife are traditionally served cold, so you have to make sure you order them HOT (Microwaved)

ameliar
06-09-2011, 23:11
whaaat? ive never that........cold!........

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2011, 23:13
The problem is that mashed potatoes in Tenerife are traditionally served cold, so you have to make sure you order them HOT (Microwaved)

is that un micro hondo slodgie ?

slodgedad
06-09-2011, 23:17

It was a serious answer. Canarian restaurants serve 'mash' cold.

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2011, 23:19

ooooo can't edit a post arggghhh

sorry
slodgie don't forget Cainaries is in La Palma - do they have micro hondas alli chica? :D

Added after 3 minutes:

Sorry Slodgie in ten years there I never had mash - apart from in Eng...ooops British places or in me casa, lo siento chuck

ameliar
06-09-2011, 23:23
where have you seen it?

slodgedad
06-09-2011, 23:26
ooooo can't edit a post arggghhh

sorry
slodgie don't forget Cainaries is in La Palma - do they have micro hondas alli chica? :D

Added after 3 minutes:

Sorry Slodgie in ten years there I never had mash - apart from in Eng...ooops British places or in me casa, lo siento chuck

We never had it til last year in our local, when the waitress described it to us.

When it arrived cold and I asked for it to be heated she wondered (asked) why.

When in Rome.............................

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2011, 23:31
"when in Rome"...... Have a pizza ???:cheeky:

Anna
07-09-2011, 12:08
In the Canaries you would say "puré de papas"

cainaries
07-09-2011, 13:07
Thanks all. Well, I shall try asking for it and see what happens. Definitely never seen it on a menu. I would have thought a pure (no accents on here!) would have been creamed potatoes although I will concede they are similar. So next question is what is a potato MASHER called in Spanish? See plenty of them in the shops but if the Spanish don't mash potatoes with them, what do they mash with them?

Chicharrera
07-09-2011, 13:19
Papas for ensaladilla and potaje for the little ones and I've heard it called trituradora or molinero de papas.

obs
07-09-2011, 13:32
Thanks all. Well, I shall try asking for it and see what happens. Definitely never seen it on a menu. I would have thought a pure (no accents on here!) would have been creamed potatoes although I will concede they are similar. So next question is what is a potato MASHER called in Spanish? See plenty of them in the shops but if the Spanish don't mash potatoes with them, what do they mash with them?

Off topic cainaries, but to get an accent over a letter, hold down the 'Alt Gr' key (to the right of the space bar) whilst typing the vowel. ;)

canarybird
07-09-2011, 13:50
A trituradora or molinero would give you milled or riced potatoes as they would grind the cooked potato to a paste.

I've never seen real mashed potatoes as I know them on a Spanish menu, that is... a mound with dry stiff peaks and hollows where the gravy or melted butter collects....(yum).

The puré I've seen here has always been more of a flat puddle as in creamed potatoes.

I would think you could call a potato masher:.....well let me see....un aplastadora de papas, or una majadora de papas, or una machacadora de papas.

That's about all I can think to call it.

Canarybird

cainaries
07-09-2011, 17:47
Off topic cainaries, but to get an accent over a letter, hold down the 'Alt Gr' key (to the right of the space bar) whilst typing the vowel. ;)
Thanks and this used to work and I got the euro sign as well, etc., but somehow I've turned it off (or a cat has). Not off topic in my view and helpful.

A trituradora or molinero would give you milled or riced potatoes as they would grind the cooked potato to a paste.

I've never seen real mashed potatoes as I know them on a Spanish menu, that is... a mound with dry stiff peaks and hollows where the gravy or melted butter collects....(yum).

The puré I've seen here has always been more of a flat puddle as in creamed potatoes.

I would think you could call a potato masher:.....well let me see....un aplastadora de papas, or una majadora de papas, or una machacadora de papas.

That's about all I can think to call it.

Canarybird

Thanks, Canarybird. I might take my potato masher to my next Spanish class as that will be a lot easier than trying to describe it! And no roasties here either!

Added after 1:

Or a Honda Micra? Not sure but I think it might be microonda, MM. Don't fancy putting mashed potato in there much.

warbey
07-09-2011, 20:04
s..If all else fails, next time You have Mash at Home, freeze a small sample. Take it with You to show how You want it.

You can buy this in Supermarkets ready frozen too) around where I live.

They would certainly remember on any subsequent visit .!

P.S. Lovely with Kippers too.....

cainaries
07-09-2011, 20:21
s..If all else fails, next time You have Mash at Home, freeze a small sample. Take it with You to show how You want it.

You can buy this in Supermarkets ready frozen too) around where I live.

They would certainly remember on any subsequent visit .!

P.S. Lovely with Kippers too.....

Hmm.. not sure how that would go down.... taking a sample. Sometimes we cook for the neighbours and we could do them a plate of bangers, mash and beans ... that would be quite a laugh, actually!

Kippers are eaten with loads of buttered fresh brown bread .. according to OH.

warbey
07-09-2011, 21:03
Hmm.. not sure how that would go down.... taking a sample. Sometimes we cook for the neighbours and we could do them a plate of bangers, mash and beans ... that would be quite a laugh, actually!

Kippers are eaten with loads of buttered fresh brown bread .. according to OH.

Kippers go with a lot.
I like some plum Tomatoes and Mash with them too..
Some nice White Pan Sticks I would prefer.. Not fussy on Brown at all sorry.

slodgedad
07-09-2011, 21:13
Kippers go with a lot.
I like some plum Tomatoes and Mash with them too..
Some nice White Pan Sticks I would prefer.. Not fussy on Brown at all sorry.

Kippers, mash and tomatoes?..:v2:..sounds revolting;)

Kippers should eaten with butter, pepper and bread and BUTTER

cainaries
07-09-2011, 22:36
Kippers, mash and tomatoes?..:v2:..sounds revolting;)

Kippers should eaten with butter, pepper and bread and BUTTER

That's how OH eats them, too, Slodgey. I haven't even dared to mention to him the ... tomatoes .... ugh. But each to their own. I thought Mash went with everything but may be not .. kippers.

Malteser Monkey
08-09-2011, 11:54
Or a Honda Micra? Not sure but I think it might be microonda, MM. Don't fancy putting mashed potato in there much.

Honda Micra ? Nissan Micra ?

You are right sorry Microonda - just translated it on the web !

I make mash in bulk - freeze it then re heat in the microwave - it lovely !

warbey
08-09-2011, 20:06
When I was a Kid, food rationing meant You ate what was available.
Tomatoes were. End of story...

Dined out Tonight for convenience sake.
Mashed Potatoe and Gravy were included.
I enjoyed each mouthful.....