PDA

View Full Version : cochroach infestation plagues Los Cristianos

Canarian Weekly
07-09-2011, 14:30
AN infestation of cockroaches in Los Cristianos is plaguing residents, tourists and even businessmen, who have called for a mass fumigation. The dreaded insects are said to abound around the TITSA bus station, but the company says Arona Town Hall is responsible for keeping the area clean.

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/crawling-up-the-walls/)

Ecky Thump
07-09-2011, 14:42
Are there any forum members being affected by this, or is this the sort of journalist headline that we are used to in the UK?:dontknow:

NotYour0rdinary
07-09-2011, 15:06
I don't think it's true. I get of the bus there every night at about eleven o clock. And I can't say I've seen one there in ages. I really look for them as well because I can't stand them so I know that I would have noticed if the area was infested. And after all August has just ended and there's always loads everywhere this time of year, and there's hardly been any by the bus stop so if anything there's less than usual for the time of year.

kingbaker
07-09-2011, 15:08
AN infestation of cockroaches in Los Cristianos is plaguing residents, tourists and even businessmen, who have called for a mass fumigation. The dreaded insects are said to abound around the TITSA bus station, but the company says Arona Town Hall is responsible for keeping the area clean.

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/crawling-up-the-walls/)

I think that this is last weeks news......dont know why it has todays date on it:tiphat:

Ecky Thump
07-09-2011, 15:13
I think that this is last weeks news......dont know why it has todays date on it:tiphat:

To be fair to the O/P if you click on the link the paper that is carrying the story is dated today, but unless this story can be confirmed, then it does tourism no good.

NotYour0rdinary
07-09-2011, 15:21
I thought that as well when I read it. I was really surprised when I read the article because not only have I not seen any but I haven't heard anyone complain either. If I was a tourist I definitely would find it off putting. They really should try to get more details about what they write.

Jackie
07-09-2011, 18:08
I have seen the odd one when walking about in the evening in Los Cristianos but definately not infestations of the things. Regarding the bus station..if you sit on the benches in the evenings look at the wall that has the wood on top where people also sit.. you will see them coming up between the wood, crawling along and then going back down, hence why I don't sit on that bit at night lol. I don't personally think you see anymore in Los Cristianos than you do anywhere else

caroletenerife
07-09-2011, 18:38
If they want to talk about infestation, they should take a look at the walkway to the beach next to the 'old' O reilly's in San Eugenio. There are thousands every night, its like something out of Indiana Jones, the wall is moving!! I walk past it all the time and am used to it, but it is really funny watching the tourists freaking out:laugh:

chips
07-09-2011, 21:59
Hi all i thought everyone was aware of the the beasties in Tenerefe, usually you get get lots when building work disturbs them we were in Sunset Bay in july they were still doing the pool alterations there saw quite a lot then ,we were in restuarant in Playa La Pinta when one fell out of a shrub right on the the table while we were eating my wife freaked out i lifted some plates to find it and the waiter just picked it up and took it away ,anyway with a bit of luck we wont see any when we come back again in 8weeks i still love the place to bits 8 weeks and counting bye for now Chips

yourneighbourdi
07-09-2011, 22:06
Visited a bar in Los Cristianos last week with friends..all lived here a long time. after 5 mins you could not sit or stand outside without one landing on you or crawling up your leg. Very popular strip of bars but all had the same problem outside. Never seen this on that strip before so maybe was a one off, very used to cockroaches but this was a bit much even for me, had one in my bag, and my fearless friend kept picking them out of her long hair. Bar owners also seemed to think it was a problem..tried to make light of it as you do!! Personally i have never seen as many cockroaches in one night before..But was well worth it to see my panic stricken tourist friends face on the other side of the road! Not a regular occurrence obviously, and we do live in Tenerife..part and parcel i would say?

Carol55
07-09-2011, 22:11
I have seen the odd one when walking about in the evening in Los Cristianos but definately not infestations of the things. Regarding the bus station..if you sit on the benches in the evenings look at the wall that has the wood on top where people also sit.. you will see them coming up between the wood, crawling along and then going back down, hence why I don't sit on that bit at night lol. I don't personally think you see anymore in Los Cristianos than you do anywhere else

So the wording of the Canarian Weekly paper is wrong, its not a infestation, just the normal amount that we would expect to find.
I only find them a bit off putting when you are sitting outside and one lands on me and then the poor little blighter meets his maker.;)

yourneighbourdi
07-09-2011, 22:19
Visited a bar in Los Cristianos last week with friends..all lived here a long time. after 5 mins you could not sit or stand outside without one landing on you or crawling up your leg. Very popular strip of bars but all had the same problem outside. Never seen this on that strip before so maybe was a one off, very used to cockroaches but this was a bit much even for me, had one in my bag, and my fearless friend kept picking them out of her long hair! Bar owners also seemed to think it was a problem..tried to make light of it as you do!! Personally i have never seen as many cockroaches in one night before..obviously not something that happens every night..and it was well worth it to see my (tourist) friend panic stricken on the other side of the road most of the evening. Part and parcel of living here...!

slodgedad
07-09-2011, 22:30
Visited a bar in Los Cristianos last week with friends..all lived here a long time. after 5 mins you could not sit or stand outside without one landing on you or crawling up your leg. Very popular strip of bars but all had the same problem outside. Never seen this on that strip before so maybe was a one off, very used to cockroaches but this was a bit much even for me, had one in my bag, and my fearless friend kept picking them out of her long hair! Bar owners also seemed to think it was a problem..tried to make light of it as you do!! Personally i have never seen as many cockroaches in one night before..obviously not something that happens every night..and it was well worth it to see my (tourist) friend panic stricken on the other side of the road most of the evening. Part and parcel of living here...!

Every year at this time we have a problem with what is locally known as 'fliers'

It lasts for a couple weeks every year anytime between the end of August and the beginning of October.

It stops as quick as it starts.

It's all down to weather conditions as they fly in from the African coast.

yourneighbourdi
07-09-2011, 23:04
Not really something we can change is it? If that were my only problem living here, i for one would be well happy..power of the media and all that..never believe all you read!

timmylish
08-09-2011, 12:09
I think that I,ve seen more this year than before. Wee Yuriy jumps all over the place when out for his walkies. He sure don,t like them at all. When you are as small as him these insects must seem like giants!