PDA

View Full Version : I don't get why I, the client, have an obligation to complain

bonitatime
08-09-2011, 19:26
Reading one of the threads here about if you have a bad time you should complain. I dont get this complaining business. If I have a bad time somewhere I just move on. The only time I would complain/comment is somewhere I like or want to go back to. Why should I waste my time improving someone elses business.

Do you complain and if so why?

candy2411
08-09-2011, 19:36
It would have to be a really bad situation for me to complain....

I'm much more likely to take note and not visit the business again. It's unfortunate for the business though, since it's well known people are more likely to tell their friends of a bad encounter rather than a positive one.

TOTO 99
08-09-2011, 19:36
Agreed..If I don't like it I just move on..no fuss..it's only my opinion anyway...many may like it..we're all different.

Brian
09-09-2011, 10:06
Reading one of the threads here about if you have a bad time you should complain. I dont get this complaining business. If I have a bad time somewhere I just move on. The only time I would complain/comment is somewhere I like or want to go back to. Why should I waste my time improving someone elses business.

Do you complain and if so why?

Agree, I very rarely complain, if I am treated poorly or have a bad experience I just move on, I get no satifaction from complaining.

YOUNG GOLFER
09-09-2011, 10:46
Agree, I very rarely complain, if I am treated poorly or have a bad experience I just move on, I get no satifaction from complaining.

Same as most of the replies on here i too don't like to complain....many times i have been out for a meal and someone has complained and the waiter has taken it back....i could never do that the thought of someone having a bad day in the kitchen worries me what they could do....if it's bad then no tip and if they ask me if all was fine i will simply shrug they will get the message.

Suej
09-09-2011, 10:55
The only time I would complain is if I really thought I had been ripped off big time! otherwise draw a line under it and move on!;)

sleepy
09-09-2011, 11:09
It all depends really.For example,suppose one were to order a well done steak in a restaurant and they sent a rare one,I wouldn't be able to eat it.To ask the waiter/waitress in a nice manner if they would mind getting the chef to cook it some more could be construed as a complaint.In my opinion it all depends on the approach.
But no,in general I wouldn't complain and just move on.

warbey
09-09-2011, 20:21
I note the replies with interest.

Could anyone say thats what Brits do, but
it would be different if You were a.......

Anyone know.?

KirstyJay
09-09-2011, 20:57
I note the replies with interest.

Could anyone say thats what Brits do

I have to say, I'm not a complainer.... and I do think it's a brit thing. We just don't complain!

But then again, BT is correct in her OP, why the hell should we have to in order for a business to conduct itself correctly?...

marbro8
09-09-2011, 21:20
a couple of years ago we went to a place near to where we live for a meal on a bank holiday monday, i don't come from a large family but my wife does and there were about 10 of us, we went up to order the food and found out that most of the meals we ordered had been sold out? now my point was if they knew it was going to be busy why not order more food in? it was only about 5.30, so because i was so ****** off i told them that i worked for the local newspaper(express and star) and i was there to do a review on the standard and service:ashamed:, well what followed was absolutely astounding, not only did they send out for the bread rolls that they had sold out of but they doubled up on the food that they had left and didn't charge us a penny for it:D god knows what they thought when the review didn't appear in the said paper:crylaughing:

Jackie
09-09-2011, 21:30
If I felt there was a need to complain then yes I would, why should I pay for something that I am not satisfied with, be it service or a meal. I have on a couple of occasions had meals arrive at the table, one, a chicken meal that was burnt to a cinder and the other, a steak meal was practically still mooing when I had asked for it well done. Should I eat it and say nothing and then come onto a public forum and complain or should I complain whilst in the restaurant and give them the chance to make amends???

marbro8
09-09-2011, 22:00
If I felt there was a need to complain then yes I would, why should I pay for something that I am not satisfied with, be it service or a meal. I have on a couple of occasions had meals arrive at the table, one, a chicken meal that was burnt to a cinder and the other, a steak meal was practically still mooing when I had asked for it well done. Should I eat it and say nothing and then come onto a public forum and complain or should I complain whilst in the restaurant and give them the chance to make amends???i agree with you, but i have spoken to so many people who work in kitchens and some of the things they do to your food when it comes back to the kitchen with a complaint is unspeakable:wow:, so sometimes it pays to complain and get a refund and never to visit again;)

Jackie
10-09-2011, 08:36
i agree with you, but i have spoken to so many people who work in kitchens and some of the things they do to your food when it comes back to the kitchen with a complaint is unspeakable:wow:, so sometimes it pays to complain and get a refund and never to visit again;)

Maybe the thread title should have been "I don't get why I the client have an obligation to complain in a Restaurant/Bar' because that is what everyone has assumed the OP meant, but as the title does not mention restaurant/bar let's look at the bigger picture. Anywhere you purchase something you are a client/customer. Question: You buy a new dress, get it home and find a fault, do you repair the fault yourself if possible or take it back to the shop as you haven't even worn it yet.? Answer: You take it back to the shop therefore you are making a complaint. Question: You buy a new pair of shoes. The first time you wear them the heel falls off. Do you take them to a shoe repairer to get them fixed or do you take them back to the shop. Answer: As you have only worn them the once you take them back to the shop and yes you complain. I don't see the difference between purchasing something in a shop that is faulty and taking it back or purchasing a meal or getting bad service and complaining, both ways 'we' have purchased something we are not happy with.

glostergirl
10-09-2011, 10:53
well here's one cook who would never dare to do anything to someones food if they complained,no cook likes criticism but hey no one is perfect!! mistakes can be made!!. a lot of what people have told you marbro8 is probably bull.... on their part!! if a customer has a complaint where ever i work i would rather be told so i can rectify the problem !!!
i agree with you, but i have spoken to so many people who work in kitchens and some of the things they do to your food when it comes back to the kitchen with a complaint is unspeakable:wow:, so sometimes it pays to complain and get a refund and never to visit again;)

bonitatime
10-09-2011, 12:52
Having worked around the hotel industry for many years I would generally say food is not spat on when returned although I have heard some terrible stories.
I came to the question after reading one of the review threads where someone insisted if there was a problem you ought to complain. If my OH food came out overdone it would go back. I on the other hand would just eat it but if service is bad I wouldn't complain. Rightly or wrongly, we tend only to try new places here on reccomendation and sometimes this works out and sometimes not.
Food in Tenerife tends to be good so service rates for us as a major factor in our returning to places to eat.
The bar next to where I work the mother and daughter are so miserable it is untrue and consequently it doesn't surprise me they are struggling.

Jackie
10-09-2011, 13:46
Having worked around the hotel industry for many years I would generally say food is not spat on when returned although I have heard some terrible stories.
I came to the question after reading one of the review threads where someone insisted if there was a problem you ought to complain. If my OH food came out overdone it would go back. I on the other hand would just eat it but if service is bad I wouldn't complain. Rightly or wrongly, we tend only to try new places here on reccomendation and sometimes this works out and sometimes not.
Food in Tenerife tends to be good so service rates for us as a major factor in our returning to places to eat.
The bar next to where I work the mother and daughter are so miserable it is untrue and consequently it doesn't surprise me they are struggling.

That was me haha. I think people should complain, as I have said be it something purchased from a shop a meal or service we receive, we are paying for it so why should we accept anything less

marbro8
10-09-2011, 14:34
well here's one cook who would never dare to do anything to someones food if they complained,no cook likes criticism but hey no one is perfect!! mistakes can be made!!. a lot of what people have told you marbro8 is probably bull.... on their part!! if a customer has a complaint where ever i work i would rather be told so i can rectify the problem !!!unfortunately not bull gg, i have a friend who not only witnessed it but videoed it on his phone, a customer complained twice about a steak so the head chef wiped his bum on it:(, he not only showed me the video but the manager as well and he got the push for his troubles, and to keep him quiet they gave him a glowing reference:(

Jimandsi
10-09-2011, 21:45
unfortunately not bull gg, i have a friend who not only witnessed it but videoed it on his phone, a customer complained twice about a steak so the head chef wiped his bum on it:(, he not only showed me the video but the manager as well and he got the push for his troubles, and to keep him quiet they gave him a glowing reference:(

You're not allowed to give an ex-employee a bad reference anymore. :whistle:

marbro8
10-09-2011, 21:56
You're not allowed to give an ex-employee a bad reference anymore. :whistle:well in my friends case he didn't deserve one but if an employe is bad at there job then why should a prospective employer not know?;)

KirstyJay
10-09-2011, 22:22
if an employee is bad at there job then why should a prospective employer not know?;)too true. Surely the employee should be aware that they will get a bad reference if they perform badly, and therefore it's a bigger incentive to work well :)

Question: You buy a new dress, get it home and find a fault, do you repair the fault yourself if possible or take it back to the shop as you haven't even worn it yet.? Answer: You take it back to the shop therefore you are making a complaint.On many occasions I have fixed it myself because it's less hassle than returning to the shop and complaining. I suppose it all depends on how easy it is to do it yourself and how much effort it will take to return it. If it's more hassle to go through the process of driving back to the shop and queuing at the returns desk, then I'd always fix it myself. I may never return to the shop though :) I take you point on the shoes though... unless it's just a case of a bit of glue. :D

That was me haha. I think people should complain, as I have said be it something purchased from a shop a meal or service we receive, we are paying for it so why should we accept anything lessI get where you're coming from, but whether people should complain and whether its in their nature or interests to do so though, are different things. Often people can feel embarrassed to complain - rightly or wrongly - and really, if the establishment cannot get it right, then they will lose the custom and not know why. You're not going to change everyone's attitudes, so the best way for a business to do well is to provide a good service in the first place and to constantly evaluate their own business. This is why there is the mystery shopper scheme in the UK. Maybe someone should offer the service here :D

chifleta
11-09-2011, 14:32
unfortunately not bull gg, i have a friend who not only witnessed it but videoed it on his phone, a customer complained twice about a steak so the head chef wiped his bum on it:(, he not only showed me the video but the manager as well and he got the push for his troubles, and to keep him quiet they gave him a glowing reference:(

my OH worked 2 days for a restaurant in Americas, many many many moons ago as a waiter - one client complained about his steak, so OH took it back to kitchen where the chef/cook took the steak, threw it on the floor, stomped on it and put it back on the plate and ordered my OH to take the plate back to customer... my OH took the plate back, told the client what the chef/cook had done, suggested he didn't eat it, and suggested that he just get up and leave - because my OH did exactly the same, walked out/quit on the spot...

I never have steak, solves the problem for me LOL and we don't complain, we just don't go back.... we want to go to the Lamb restaurant between Guargacho and Chafiras, and really we need to go one day, it's always heaving, but we've had very mixed reviews from friends n family, Spanish and Brits alike.... we normally just try out a restaurant, if it's good, we go back and we recommend it to others, if it's bad, we still tell others, but just don't go back :)

Added after 3 minutes:

t This is why there is the mystery shopper scheme in the UK. Maybe someone should offer the service here :D

I don't know about restaurants here, but they do mystery shoppers (cliente misterioso) in the airport bars and restaurants, but I think that is organised by the actual company that holds the bar/restaurant franchise....

kellyman
14-09-2011, 17:37
We went for a meal in a local restaurant here on Tenerife. The lamb my son ordered was still frozen solid in the middle. We could not do anything but complain. Needless to say the restaurant is off our list now.

MaxineC
14-09-2011, 17:45
This is why there is the mystery shopper scheme in the UK. Maybe someone should offer the service here :D

I've done this for some bars & restaurants in the UK, I loved it... Got to eat & drink for free! :heyhey: