PDA

View Full Version : Arona Taxis adding illegal supplement.

poker
09-09-2011, 17:01
Arona taxi's adding illeagal supplement .
Seems to be a lot of tourists complaining of getting an illeagal taxi
supplement of 1,65€ at the end of their ride .
Link In Spanish! http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2011/0...taxis-
de-arona

Sent using Tapatalk.

Jimandsi
09-09-2011, 18:45
They've been doing it for years, I reckon.

murph
09-09-2011, 22:32

Agreed - If there's one thing that threatens to spoil our holiday EVERY year it is this issue - fed up of them!

jogger321
10-09-2011, 09:41
Shock horror headline "Taxi drivers rip off tourists in holiday resort"

.."and today in other news it has been confirmed that Pope Benedict is indeed revealed as a catholic"

fonica
10-09-2011, 12:41
Until the police stop illegal Brits( and others) from doing "taxi" runs to and from the airport, I think the local, hardpressed taxi drivers are justified in doing whatever they need to do to make a living!!! Having said that,it's almost impossible for them to cheat, as if they are caught, the fines on them are huge.As we have said before.....take the taxi number and ask for a receipt( before you pay) if you think you are being overcharged. I would love to see some of the moaners spend just one shift in a taxi here,they would never complain again. The taxis are far to cheap here for anyone to make a wage.

Added after 3 minutes:

Agreed - If there's one thing that threatens to spoil our holiday EVERY year it is this issue - fed up of them!
Why would you be fed up of taxi drivers when the taxis charges here are around 30% of the charges in the UK.It isn't cheap to live in Tenerife and the costs of licences,insurance,social security etc.have doubled in the last three years whilst fares have increased very little and there are many,many more illegal drivers working as "taxis" in the area.

jogger321
10-09-2011, 12:49
Absolute rubbish. Many of them were ripping off tourists when times were good in Tenerife and money was apparently plentiful. Coupled with being a mafia type organisation that forced the cancellation of a proper tourist bus service that went from the airport and stopped at convenient dropping off points in the tourist resorts. (The sort you would find in any "world class" holiday destination)

i'm afraid I have no sympathy with the taxi drivers whatsoever.

fonica
10-09-2011, 14:56
Absolute rubbish. Many of them were ripping off tourists when times were good in Tenerife and money was apparently plentiful. Coupled with being a mafia type organisation that forced the cancellation of a proper tourist bus service that went from the airport and stopped at convenient dropping off points in the tourist resorts. (The sort you would find in any "world class" holiday destination)

i'm afraid I have no sympathy with the taxi drivers whatsoever.
You probably don't know any taxi drivers,if you did you would realise that the majority are honest hard working people and there are just a few bad eggs. They have had the patience of saints with the rip off "taxi" merchants who work without licences or insurance,murders would have occured in many other places!! A taxi driver in the airport told me that he knows the names ,addresses and car reg., of more than 80 regular illegals picking up and collecting from the airport and the police have still to act. Of course these guys are not working the streets of LAs Americas at 4 in the morning with the drunks,addicts and robbers who they have to take in their taxis.You wouldn't last one shift and would discover that you indeed had some sympathy for these people.

irishmusico
10-09-2011, 16:00
Until the police stop illegal Brits( and others) from doing "taxi" runs to and from the airport, I think the local, hardpressed taxi drivers are justified in doing whatever they need to do to make a living!!! Having said that,it's almost impossible for them to cheat, as if they are caught, the fines on them are huge.As we have said before.....take the taxi number and ask for a receipt( before you pay) if you think you are being overcharged. I would love to see some of the moaners spend just one shift in a taxi here,they would never complain again. The taxis are far to cheap here for anyone to make a wage.

Added after 3 minutes:

Why would you be fed up of taxi drivers when the taxis charges here are around 30% of the charges in the UK.It isn't cheap to live in Tenerife and the costs of licences,insurance,social security etc.have doubled in the last three years whilst fares have increased very little and there are many,many more illegal drivers working as "taxis" in the area.

I do not think that taxi drivers are justified in doing whatever they want to hike up the price to make a living.The price is the price and they are not allowed to make it up just because they want to.This is not a new thing.It has always being going on here.It is easy to cheat on the price.Just pop on the airport charge,an extra 1.65.You can argue that the price is more expensive in the U.K. as it is in Ireland also,but we are not there,we are here and the prices are what they are.I use taxis all the time haven't been overcharged for a long time.I think that is more to do with the fact that I don't take any nonsense from anyone who tries it on.

While I agree the taxis are very cheap here.The taxi driver doesn't get to decide the price.The meter is there for that.If they manipulate it they are stealing.Would they like it done to them?I think not.

poker
10-09-2011, 16:44
I do not think that taxi drivers are justified in doing whatever they want to hike up the price to make a living.The price is the price and they are not allowed to make it up just because they want to.This is not a new thing.It has always being going on here.It is easy to cheat on the price.Just pop on the airport charge,an extra 1.65.You can argue that the price is more expensive in the U.K. as it is in Ireland also,but we are not there,we are here and the prices are what they are.I use taxis all the time haven't been overcharged for a long time.I think that is more to do with the fact that I don't take any nonsense from anyone who tries it on.

While I agree the taxis are very cheap here.The taxi driver doesn't get to decide the price.The meter is there for that.If they manipulate it they are stealing.Would they like it done to them?I think not.

Think the main problem is the averige tourist does not know what he is charged for .
Even me as a local do not know how prices are charged if I take a taxi.

I think there is a local price per distance and an price once outside (Arona) plus some extra if you have luggage and an extra if you go to the airport.
But how does it all ad up?

With modern technology these days it would be easy to give everyone a printout of the bill with deatails of the ride and price of the ride.
You get a ticket on the bus , at the supermarket , why not with a taxi ride?

There would a lot les disputes.

Sent using Tapatalk.

irishmusico
10-09-2011, 19:06
I think there is a local price per distance and an price once outside (Arona) plus some extra if you have luggage and an extra if you go to the airport.
But how does it all ad up?

Sent using Tapatalk.

There is no luggage charge.There is a 1.65 pick up charge from the Airport.I think it applies if you are being dropped at the airport as well but there is no extras for luggage.

warbey
10-09-2011, 19:25
I have met a good few Taxi Drivers who seem decent People.
I usually have found the Fare to be within the area charged.

Unfortunately, I have also experienced the Practice of knocking the Machine up a level.
The first time was about just under 3 Euro and the second (on a 3.50 Fare) was about 4.75.

I get Taxis from the nearest Rank so assume these are Legal.

Conclusion... A few too many "Bad Apples" ruin it for the Others, as
Joe Public will avoid a rip off, so, We all Lose in the end..

mighty mo
10-09-2011, 20:15
I have a relative who drove a taxi in Tenerife for a few years, in Arona & Adeje. It is a known fact that in some cases the fares are increased by adding supplements . A lot of the drivers do not want to do it, but their bosses sometimes insist. If the drivers are caught by police, who can tell by the tariff number on the taxi sign on the roof if it is on the wrong tariff for the area they are in; they can be fined hundreds of euros, & sanctioned (whatever that means?). Bosses have been known to pay the fines for their drivers. The drivers must use the meter when they have passengers, they cannot set a price in advance like they can in the UK.
There are times when the prices vary, like after 10pm, bank holidays & sundays. Arona & Adeje have different tariffs, which can be confusing.
This practise has been going on for years & the police occasionally tighten up & do spot checks, but it has never been stopped completely. The only option for regular taxi users who know what their fare should be, is to pay the amount you are usually charged & refuse to pay any extra.
As suggested in a post above, get a receipt, take the taxi registration & the number of the taxi which is usually painted on the door & threaten to report the driver. You will need to know if they are an Adeje or Arona taxi in order to report it to the relevant office. Arona taxis have blue roofs, Adeje taxis have white roofs.

Mighty Mo

caroletenerife
10-09-2011, 20:35
I chat to them and make them aware i'm a resident, it usually stops them adding supplements. My taxi from work costs 4.35, so if its under a fiver they get a tip if its over they dont.

Angusjim
11-09-2011, 07:53

Added after 3 minutes:

Why would you be fed up of taxi drivers when the taxis charges here are around 30% of the charges in the UK.It isn't cheap to live in Tenerife and the costs of licences,insurance,social security etc.have doubled in the last three years whilst fares have increased very little and there are many,many more illegal drivers working as "taxis" in the area.]

Do you ever admit that there are problems in Tenerife ?? you need to take off your rose tinted specs and get your head out of your ****. I NEVER get charged the same fare from airport to my " illegal apartment" why is that ?

Leam_Lin
11-09-2011, 08:27
I chat to them and make them aware i'm a resident, it usually stops them adding supplements. My taxi from work costs 4.35, so if its under a fiver they get a tip if its over they dont.

On the way from the airport we chat & name places close to our apartment, he/she then knows we are not first timers, OH also speaks a bit of spanish to them it all helps.

caroletenerife
11-09-2011, 10:42
Get the bus, its only 2.50 to Las Americas, or Los Cris. Then a wee taxi ride to your apartment or hotel. I do understand the taxi drivers frustration at illegal drop offs at the airport, loads of Brit bars offer the service. So maybe the taxi drivers overcharge to recoup their loses. In todays world of the Internet, its pretty easy to find out information, people could print of a small tariff notice and keep it in their wallet, if overcharged, then simple say, fine ,get the police. I have done it, they swear at you in Spanish and drive off x

fonica
11-09-2011, 12:30
]

Do you ever admit that there are problems in Tenerife ?? you need to take off your rose tinted specs and get your head out of your ****. I NEVER get charged the same fare from airport to my " illegal apartment" why is that ?
Of course there are problems in Tenerife but the never ending taxi driver bashing on the forum doesn't do us any favours.Many Spanish people use this forum and think that we do little but complain.Do you ever say anything nice about taxi drivers or Spanish people in general (whilst living as a guest in their country).I presume that you are here because you think it's a good place to live.Give credit where due,find out how the local people live and some of their problems before you express an opinion about them.If you have a problem with a taxi ask for a receipt and take the taxi number and take it up with the cooperativa in either Arona ,Adeje or Granadilla. With regards to your illegal apartment,are you living in an illegal apartment or leasing it to guests? Either way if you don't want taxi drivers making illegal charges then set a good example and stop doing illegal renting or leasing of property.Sarcastic reply to sarcastic post!!!!

Angusjim
11-09-2011, 13:32
Of course there are problems in Tenerife but the never ending taxi driver bashing on the forum doesn't do us any favours.Many Spanish people use this forum and think that we do little but complain.Do you ever say anything nice about taxi drivers or Spanish people in general (whilst living as a guest in their country).I presume that you are here because you think it's a good place to live.Give credit where due,find out how the local people live and some of their problems before you express an opinion about them.If you have a problem with a taxi ask for a receipt and take the taxi number and take it up with the cooperativa in either Arona ,Adeje or Granadilla. With regards to your illegal apartment,are you living in an illegal apartment or leasing it to guests? Either way if you don't want taxi drivers making illegal charges then set a good example and stop doing illegal renting or leasing of property.Sarcastic reply to sarcastic post!!!!

Firstly I am not a resident on the island but do visit 4-5 times per year for holidays and up until a couple of years ago I did own an apartment. To be honest I really can't be bothered arguing with a taxi driver about a euro or two but make a point of NEVER tipping them as in my opinion they have already scammed their tip from me. I work 70/80hrs per week and know how hard it is at the moment to make a buisness works but I don't feel the need to cheat / over charge customers thats like cutting off the hand that feeds you is it not. I laugh at your comment about expressing an opinion perhaps you should heed your own advice before blaming ALL people who buy timeshare points as being stupid and deserving all they get.

warbey
11-09-2011, 20:25

This Thread is about being Overcharged by a Dishonest Driver.
I stated Ive met quite a few nice honest People who Drive Taxis.
unforunately the Practice happens too often and brings them all into disrepute.

I am glad if as You say, many Spanish come on this Forum
They6 will be aware how We feel, and that they lose business as a result.
I know many Nationalities Drive in the South anyway, so this is NOT
a Racial Issue.
Most of us have Canarian/Spanish Friends who I would hope agree this dishonesty
does Taxi Drivers in general no favours.

emmess
11-09-2011, 20:30
The 1.60 euro surcharge is for entry to the port and/or airport. I think they can also charge more for fiesta and night time. I never pay the surcharge now which they add more often than not in my experience from Los Cris. We just have the money ready and if they add the surcharge I say "no suplemento, no es fiesta, no noche, no puerto" - see my Spanish is SO good :D I find they then swear at me in Spanish and accept what I give them. My last argument was on the way to Siam Park, when I refused to pay the surcharge and told him it was 5 euros, he was most indignant - cos it had been 5.20 on the clock - lol.

The other thing that reaaaally annoys me is when we go back to the airport from Los Cris and they go all the way back to the big roundabout instead of going up to the Guaza entrance - even though we tell them. It's just so they can charge us more. Drives me batty :nono:

Oh, and when they automatically add a tip for themselves - grrr :mad:

Right. Rant over :wink2:

irishmusico
11-09-2011, 21:14
Of course there are problems in Tenerife but the never ending taxi driver bashing on the forum doesn't do us any favours.

You are right.I also feel I was a bit harsh in my earlier post.I have met the nicest and most helpful taxi drivers and they go out of their way to help me.I could also point out several chaps who have tried to rip me off over time and they just don't try it on with me anymore because I melt their ear off if they try.

I also know that taxi drivers do work 12 hour shifts for little money if they don't own the cab and rent it/pay commission etc.

I think some of the problem is there are different tariffs and different areas and it is all very confusing for people.On top of that there are taxi drivers who will rip you off if they can.I think it would be a good thing if you as a taxi driver clarified how the charges,tariffs and supplements work.For instance is the 1.65 euro airport/port charge applicable for dropping off as well as picking up?

fonica
11-09-2011, 21:50
Firstly I am not a resident on the island but do visit 4-5 times per year for holidays and up until a couple of years ago I did own an apartment. To be honest I really can't be bothered arguing with a taxi driver about a euro or two but make a point of NEVER tipping them as in my opinion they have already scammed their tip from me. I work 70/80hrs per week and know how hard it is at the moment to make a buisness works but I don't feel the need to cheat / over charge customers thats like cutting off the hand that feeds you is it not. I laugh at your comment about expressing an opinion perhaps you should heed your own advice before blaming ALL people who buy timeshare points as being stupid and deserving all they get.

Yes,I expect most taxi drivers would empathize with your 4-5 holidays a year.The majority of them don't cheat,and all work at least 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Most don't even get time off for holidays never mind trips abroad. They clean up sick,handle drunks and violence,get abuse from yobs who don't want to put a shirt on before they get in the car and this week there was a thief with a gun who took a taxi home. You no doubt go through similar experiences in order to pay for your 4-5 holidays a year. With regards to the other thread (you seem to like to mix them up) I didn't call anyone stupid but did suggest that with so many warnings in the Uk it is amazing that people still buy these products.You are most welcome to your opinions as amusing as they are !

Jimandsi
11-09-2011, 21:58
Yes,I expect most taxi drivers would empathize with your 4-5 holidays a year.The majority of them don't cheat,and all work at least 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. Most don't even get time off for holidays never mind trips abroad. They clean up sick,handle drunks and violence,get abuse from yobs who don't want to put a shirt on before they get in the car and this week there was a thief with a gun who took a taxi home. You no doubt go through similar experiences in order to pay for your 4-5 holidays a year. With regards to the other thread (you seem to like to mix them up) I didn't call anyone stupid but did suggest that with so many warnings in the Uk it is amazing that people still buy these products.You are most welcome to your opinions as amusing as they are !

If it's such a terrible job, why are there so many of them doing it, I wonder ?

fonica
12-09-2011, 00:10
If it's such a terrible job, why are there so many of them doing it, I wonder ? Could be that with 5 million unemployed people in Spain and a massive uneployment propblem in Tenerife,they do this rather than go hungry.This isn't the UK with ever ready handouts to the unemployed.Many of these guys are well educated and should be doing other types of work but because these jobs don't exist the do whatever is availabe. I am constantly amazed by people who either live on the island or visit it regularly showing such ignorance about the conditions here for local people hence some of the daft remarks made on the forum.

murph
12-09-2011, 01:29
[QUOTE

Why would you be fed up of taxi drivers when the taxis charges here are around 30% of the charges in the UK.It isn't cheap to live in Tenerife and the costs of licences,insurance,social security etc.have doubled in the last three years whilst fares have increased very little and there are many,many more illegal drivers working as "taxis" in the area.[/QUOTE]

What does it matter if it's cheaper than the UK? We got one from the airport in August. As we pulled into the road where our apartment was, the meter read 18 Euros. by the time we stopped 30 seconds later, he had pressed a about three times and the fare was suddenly 23.50 Euros. When I asked what he had just done, he suddenly lost the power to understand English. - This happens every year on various different journeys.

A new one on us was when we went back to the Airport two weeks later. The meter was clocking up at just 20 Euros as we arrived at the airport when he turned it off. We got out, got the bags and he then asked for 25 Euros.

I am happy to pay the going rate - I just don't like being ripped off!

fonica
12-09-2011, 07:23
[QUOTE

What does it matter if it's cheaper than the UK? We got one from the airport in August. As we pulled into the road where our apartment was, the meter read 18 Euros. by the time we stopped 30 seconds later, he had pressed a about three times and the fare was suddenly 23.50 Euros. When I asked what he had just done, he suddenly lost the power to understand English. - This happens every year on various different journeys.

A new one on us was when we went back to the Airport two weeks later. The meter was clocking up at just 20 Euros as we arrived at the airport when he turned it off. We got out, got the bags and he then asked for 25 Euros.

I am happy to pay the going rate - I just don't like being ripped off![/QUOTE]
Next time this happens,ask for a receipt and make sure that you have the taxi number on it.The majority of taxi drivers ar OK but they hate these rip off merchants as much as you do.It doesn't take many to get them all a bad name.If we took action rather than just having a moan this would stop.

Angusjim
12-09-2011, 11:10

Strangley enough I did drive a taxi many many years ago and what you describe above about taxis in Tenerife is remarkably the same as what happens in the UK and probably through out the world. But the EU has an open jobs market and Spanish people like all are quite entiltled to go elsewhere to find a better life if they are unhappy at home most choose not to but that is their choice.
Do you really think that people that come on holiday should have to spend half their holiday collecting receipts and reporting taxis ? surely if you are correct in saying that most of these drivers are well educated and honest people they should sort out the issue internally, for example proper price lists displayed within taxis for airport runs. But in the meantime NO TIPS from me

fonica
12-09-2011, 12:06
That I presume is NO TIPS for the honest taxi drivers as well as the few bad ones.Yes,that sounds fair to me.Maybe the secrets in the Angus!!!

williethetim
12-09-2011, 12:53
That I presume is NO TIPS for the honest taxi drivers as well as the few bad ones.Yes,that sounds fair to me.Maybe the secrets in the Angus!!!
who's stereo typing now...

fonica
12-09-2011, 13:06
who's stereo typing now...

Me,sorry,but how unfair was the post?

murph
12-09-2011, 15:33
[/QUOTE] Next time this happens,ask for a receipt and make sure that you have the taxi number on it.The majority of taxi drivers ar OK but they hate these rip off merchants as much as you do.It doesn't take many to get them all a bad name.If we took action rather than just having a moan this would stop.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, if you are at the airport and just getting onto a plane, you have little time - or inclination - to do anything, and they know that!

Added after 10 minutes:

Do you really think that people that come on holiday should have to spend half their holiday collecting receipts and reporting taxis ? surely if you are correct in saying that most of these drivers are well educated and honest people they should sort out the issue internally, for example proper price lists displayed within taxis for airport runs. But in the meantime NO TIPS from me

This is a great point.

There are now ''price lists'' on many taxi stands in the South of the island, to Airports, local towns and various attractions.

When I asked one of the drivers if the listed price was the price he would charge he said'' no depends on the meter''.

We all know that going from Los Cristianos to the Airport for example, there are two distinct routes. Straight up past the Bus station to the Motorway or round the back up past The Heights. There is a difference of about 5Euros in my experience, and it is the cheaper price that is listed on the Price Boards - so surely this is the way the taxis should go?

Angusjim
14-09-2011, 14:26

Correct life is not fair.
So I have got it now its OK to stero type anyone as long as they are not Spanish:scotland:

fonica
16-09-2011, 21:27
Correct life is not fair.
So I have got it now its OK to stero type anyone as long as they are not Spanish:scotland: Yep, you've got it alright!!! It's OK to stereo type anybody who says that he doesn't give a tip to any taxi driver īcos of a couple of bad guys and this is because you stereo typed yourself. I am however, sorry for the sarcasm it's not one of my better traits and my favorite granny was from Dundee so I'd better
go away quietly now.

mrmotivator
22-10-2011, 07:50
Sorry to dust off this old chestnut....but....

When I was over in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago, we got a really friendly English speaking taxi driver. He was talking about the times he has visited the UK, he even guessed where I was from due to my accent! He also told us to be careful of the extra supplement that some taxi drivers add on to the trip. He was saying that the charge should only be used when visiting the Airport or a Ferry Port. He said that if you mention to most taxi drivers before the journey not to add the supplement, then they will agree to it.

Just thought this might have been useful to some people!

marbro8
22-10-2011, 18:32
last week we had to order a special taxi for my niece because she was using an electric mobility scooter, we went from the compostella beach to siam park, the driver was great helping her to drive the scooter on and off and charged us 5 euros for the 4 of us so i gave him 2 euros tip, on the way back we caught one outside and from the off the driver was nasty and sarcastic, telling us to geeeeet iiiiiiiiin, he drove around the islands to fast tipping my disabled niece of the scooter in the back, and then ranting as if it was her fault? he went down every back road that we knew and low and behold the fayre came to 9. 05 euros for the same distance so that is exactly what i gave him, again he went into a rant, what did he expect after the way he had treated us? the only tip he needed was "be a little nice to your customers and don't try and rip them off" after walking all of the streets in and around los cris and las americas over the last 6 years we know the quickest and longest roots, they must think we are stupid, we never use taxis normaly when just me and my wife come over, and i will give them a miss in future

BrianT
22-10-2011, 21:20
Yep, you've got it alright!!! It's OK to stereo type anybody who says that he doesn't give a tip to any taxi driver īcos of a couple of bad guys and this is because you stereo typed yourself. I am however, sorry for the sarcasm it's not one of my better traits and my favorite granny was from Dundee so I'd better
go away quietly now.

cos of a couple of bad guys?? We stopped using taxis a few years ago after the children thought they were to old to go on holiday with there parents, all taxis we have used over the past 10 years pressed the meter a few times to up the cost, we now use the bus or walk.

marbro8
22-10-2011, 21:34
last week we had to order a special taxi for my niece because she was using an electric mobility scooter, we went from the compostella beach to siam park, the driver was great helping her to drive the scooter on and off and charged us 5 euros for the 4 of us so i gave him 2 euros tip, on the way back we caught one outside and from the off the driver was nasty and sarcastic, telling us to geeeeet iiiiiiiiin, he drove around the islands to fast tipping my disabled niece of the scooter in the back, and then ranting as if it was her fault? he went down every back road that we knew and low and behold the fayre came to 9. 05 euros for the same distance so that is exactly what i gave him, again he went into a rant, what did he expect after the way he had treated us? the only tip he needed was "be a little nice to your customers and don't try and rip them off" after walking all of the streets in and around los cris and las americas over the last 6 years we know the quickest and longest routes, they must think we are stupid, we never use taxis normally when just me and my wife come over, and i will give them a miss in future i have just tried to edit the post but it wouldn't let me ???

Carol55
22-10-2011, 22:04
I personally have only good things to say about taxi drivers in Tenerife, on the many occasions we have used them in the North of the Island and in the South, they have never once over charged us and have always been very obliging with helping with our luggage etc.
Last year when we were out with Sunspot (Chris) and her husband for a meal, Eric (Ecky Thump) was taken ill and had to return home to the apartment, a taxi was called and it was explained to the driver by the waiter that Eric was ill and he took him back to the apartment, with NO charge and made sure he got into the apartment ok.
How many UK taxi drivers would help like that?

marbro8
22-10-2011, 22:21
I personally have only good things to say about taxi drivers in Tenerife, on the many occasions we have used them in the North of the Island and in the South, they have never once over charged us and have always been very obliging with helping with our luggage etc.
Last year when we were out with Sunspot (Chris) and her husband for a meal, Eric (Ecky Thump) was taken ill and had to return home to the apartment, a taxi was called and it was explained to the driver by the waiter that Eric was ill and he took him back to the apartment, with NO charge and made sure he got into the apartment ok.
How many UK taxi drivers would help like that?there is plainly a massive gap between good drivers and bad, which we experienced between going to siam park and returning, the trouble is the bad ones are ruining it for the good one's, i think that they know who they are and should weed them out and name and shame, that way the industry that provides them with their living will continue to thrive and maybe people will use them more, because the bad experience we had has far outweighed the good one so we will steer clear of them in future

macdonald5
26-05-2014, 22:31
Taxi journeys not only about the fare !!
We just got in tonight from a taxi journey from Los Cristianos - no amount of casual conversation would get the driver to make any communication and then the ultimate white knuckle ride !! almost on two wheels at times
We are not scary cat passengers ( two of my brothers are rally drivers ) but totally unnecessary speed and cornering
He did manage to ask for reasonable fare of €7
What happened to the 'Smile campaign for taxi drivers ' a few years ago??

fonica
27-05-2014, 09:08
The 650 -800 Euros a month that they earn for working 6 twelve hour days a week,wiped the smiles off their faces!!!!

Angusjim
27-05-2014, 10:27
This is the opposite of what we have found recently as I said on another thread I have seen a huge change for the better in taxis in Tenerife you were maybe just unlucky to get mad Max as a driver:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The 650 -800 Euros a month that they earn for working 6 twelve hour days a week,wiped the smiles off their faces!!!!

If he did smile and made a bit more of an effort perhaps he would earn more in tips!! but nothing can excuse dangerous driving,but as I said I personally think that there has been a big change for the better with taxis and I am even tipping them now:wink:

kathml
27-05-2014, 10:33
I've always found taxi drivers anywhere in Tenerife courteous and extremely helpful

tfs1
27-05-2014, 10:41
The 650 -800 Euros a month that they earn for working 6 twelve hour days a week

€ 2 to 2.50€ an hour ? - perhaps thats what they tell the tax man.

macdonald5
27-05-2014, 10:58
I've always found taxi drivers anywhere in Tenerife courteous and extremely helpful

To be honest this holiday we've had 50/50 taxi experiences
50% helpful and decent drivers but the other 50% definately Mad Max types
I really don't care if they smile or even talk but I do expect safe driving from drivers who have chosen that line of work

kez1000
27-05-2014, 12:34
Wow, this really has lit the paper!

Over the years (last 8 at least!), I have had everything from outrageous out of the way routes, to wrong tarifs to fare supplements at the end. I think we have to recognise this exists and the drivers are on low wages, perhaps even coerced by their bosses as mentioned above.

As for illegal taxis, that's just what they are, illegal and risky, how can we condone that?

The drivers in general are good I have found, but I do suspect they weigh up their occupants and the more unscrupulous do take advantage of tourists. I think this is where the real problem lays.

If we want to talk about being ripped off, try looking at the price of a bottle of water as you leave the airport, it used to be 4.5 euros for half a litre but they have improved with the new shop as you leave. There is still a lot of work for the Tenerifian authorities to do with tourism but overall I think they are doing a good job. British holiday makers are good travellers, discerning and like to be treated fairly and generally have high expectations (referring to the average, not the extremes). The efforts I see them doing is trying to ensure this happens - Tenerife a great island with something for everyone, but alas, like every other place in the world has its own unique set of issues.

kingbaker
27-05-2014, 12:59
This is the opposite of what we have found recently as I said on another thread I have seen a huge change for the better in taxis in Tenerife you were maybe just unlucky to get mad Max as a driver:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If he did smile and made a bit more of an effort perhaps he would earn more in tips!! but nothing can excuse dangerous driving,but as I said I personally think that there has been a big change for the better with taxis and I am even tipping them now:wink:

Can we see EVIDENCE please???? Preferably Photos and witness statements from 'respectable folk' not from Scotchland:lol::eyebrows::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Angusjim
27-05-2014, 13:15
Can we see EVIDENCE please???? Preferably Photos and witness statements from 'respectable folk' not from Scotchland:lol::eyebrows::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Ok Ok I was exaggerating I have actually only thought about tipping them on three occasions then my wife slapped me and reminded me that I was Scottish:lol::doh::liar::eek:

TOTO 99
27-05-2014, 13:28
Ok Ok I was exaggerating I have actually only thought about tipping them on three occasions then my wife slapped me and reminded me that I was Scottish:lol::doh::liar::eek:

Come out of the closet AJ...You wanna be English don'tcha?............:lol:

macdonald5
27-05-2014, 13:32

We might need to be after September !! x

Good taxi drivers are great - to keep on topic

Angusjim
27-05-2014, 15:10

Dinnae be silly laddie things will never be that bad but Alex Salmond and his merry band certainly mak ye think aboot it whiles :scotland:

kingbaker
27-05-2014, 18:17

Really wamts tp be Irish, but its toooo much of a reach......so Sasanach'll have to dooo:D:p:(:D:cool:

TOTO 99
27-05-2014, 19:10
Really wamts tp be Irish, but its toooo much of a reach......so Sasanach'll have to dooo:D:p:(:D:cool:

I think the PC description is..."He's confused".....:lol:

kingbaker
27-05-2014, 21:15
We might need to be after September !! x

Good taxi drivers are great - to keep on topic

A new group of asylum seekers.......mostly men in skirts.:p:D

kingbaker
27-05-2014, 21:16
A new group of asylum seekers.......mostly men in skirts.:p:D
Some even drive taxies.:(:D:p

kez1000
29-05-2014, 13:18
Not just Tenerife's Taxi drivers disgruntled then....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27617079