PDA

View Full Version : What is the diferencial switch for in the electrics panel?

kellyman
10-09-2011, 13:20
Can anyone please tell me what the diferencial switch is for in the electrics panel. My power cuts out even when there are no appliances switched on. It is the diferencial switch that is off. The main and all the other switches(cocina, limpiado etc) remain in the on position. I canīt find any faults anywhere. Any one got any ideas?
Many thanks.

atlantico
10-09-2011, 13:39
do you mean the RCD ?

I think a differential switch (EDF) is rated to suit your tariff. The function of the EDF device is to protect you from faults that might occur both inside and external to your property and ensure you do not use more current than your selected electricity tariff allows. It will be calibrated in amps corresponding to your tariff and should you constantly exceed this value it will trip the electrical supply. If it switches off even when no appliances are on, it could still detect an earthing problem or damp in outside wiring/sockets etc. We wire all our outside electrics through a small consumer unit in the garage, so if rain gets into fixtures it only trips the garage unit and we know that the problem is outside, and not our kettle etc

Que 9Plus . . . .

Jackie
10-09-2011, 13:41
Could be something as simple as the element in the kettle or iron on it's way out. The only way to find out is unplug everything and plug them in one by one and see what one causes the problems

kellyman
10-09-2011, 13:45
do you mean the RCD ?

I donīt know atlantico. I have the main switch and four appliance switches. These are all double switches. The diferencial is a single switch with what looks like a reset button.

Could be something as simple as the element in the kettle or iron on it's way out. The only way to find out is unplug everything and plug them in one by one and see what one causes the problems
Thanks Jackie but as I said in my original post, it happens when there are no appliances on.

Jackie
10-09-2011, 13:48
I donīt know atlantico. I have the main switch and four appliance switches. These are all double switches. The diferencial is a single switch with what looks like a reset button.

Thanks Jackie but as I said in my original post, it happens when there are no appliances on.

What about the fridge, freezer, TV etc not just the kettle, iron ;)

atlantico
10-09-2011, 13:48
sounds like RCD, see Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device) for info and picture of switch

and also appliances in 'stand-by' mode

RCD's can get faulty, so may be worth swapping one over

kellyman
10-09-2011, 14:04
I have checked everything Jackie.
Many thanks

Added after 4 minutes:

sounds like RCD, see Wikipedia here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device) for info and picture of switch

The switch is similar to the one in the pic but set out differently. How can I check for a faulty switch.

kellyman
10-09-2011, 14:12

The switch is similar to the one in the pic but set out differently. How can I check if the switch is faulty.

kellyman
10-09-2011, 14:22
The switch is similar to the one in the pic but set out differently. How would I check to see if the switch is faulty?

atlantico
10-09-2011, 17:27
only way, to change it, but it's purpose is to trip of there's a fault, so may be worth getting someone in to check it over.

Vortex Wake
10-09-2011, 17:39
Remember, you need to unplug appliances - turning them off is not the solution when checking an RCD (earth leakage).

pjelec
10-09-2011, 19:43
A Differential is there for the safety of any Earth Leakage. Its nothing to do with any tariffs, that would be your ICP. Normally the ICP is seperate to your main fuseboard although next to it.
Example, if you have 10amps flowing through the Live wire to an Appliance/Light then you will have 10amps flowing back through the Neutral wire. If there was an earth leakage to Live or Neutral which is above 30 Milli amps then it would trip.
There is no way of checking what the fault is unless you have an Insulation Resistance Tester. This tests the resistance through the cables for any leakages. Sometimes if old the Differential can trip for no reason. If the Differential trips and you can not switch it back on, turn off all other circuit breakers and turn on your Diff. Then one by one turn on your circuit breakers until the Diff trips. This should establish which circuit the fault is on.

Common problems would be Boiler faulty although still working, Faulty Diff if old, Damp or water leak. Burnt cables on overloaded circuits.

kellyman
12-09-2011, 15:53
Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I donīt feel qualified to tackle the job myself,so I have got an electrician coming to take a look.