PDA

View Full Version : If this had happened in the UK, I would have sued...

KirstyJay
12-09-2011, 13:00
I was leaving the swimming baths at El Galeon this morning and strolling back to my car after having a really good swim... broke my time record, so was actually feeling very good about myself. Walking past the bit of the new complex that they're still building I went over on my ankle on a hole on the pavement where the buiding works are going on.

I currently have a bag of frozen peas on my ankle and it's really painful to walk on.

As the title says, had I been in the UK I would have had a no-win no-fee lawyer taking up a case against the local authority by now! :rolleyes: but in Tenerife we just get on with it :(

fonica
12-09-2011, 13:14
I was leaving the swimming baths at El Galeon this morning and strolling back to my car after having a really good swim... broke my time record, so was actually feeling very good about myself. Walking past the bit of the new complex that they're still building I went over on my ankle on a hole on the pavement where the buiding works are going on.

I currently have a bag of frozen peas on my ankle and it's really painful to walk on.

As the title says, had I been in the UK I would have had a no-win no-fee lawyer taking up a case against the local authority by now! :rolleyes: but in Tenerife we just get on with it :(Can you imagine how long a compensation case would take to sort out here???Hope your foot gets better soon.My husband used to say that the private clinics on the island had persuaded the Ayuntamientos to leave the pavements in bad condition as they made so much money out of broken limbs.I think he may have been right.

julia44
12-09-2011, 13:27

As the title says, had I been in the UK I would have had a no-win no-fee lawyer taking up a case against the local authority by now! :rolleyes: but in Tenerife we just get on with it :(
But dont forget if you were in the UK you could probably bee sued for sexual harressment for staring at the builders and not looking out for holes!!

Seriously though hope you ankle gets better soon if it is swollen please go to the doctors straight away I fell down a pot hole and damaged both my knees and stupidly waited 48 hours to go to the docs

KirstyJay
12-09-2011, 13:28
Does anyone have any remedies? At the moment it's soooo painful to walk on now. Just going downstairs to the loo is an effort! Will have to lay off the tea today... :whistle:

But dont forget if you were in the UK you could probably bee sued for sexual harressment for staring at the builders and not looking out for holes!!If only that were true! :D I was actually looking out for Jewels who was meeting me to buy my bread machine :o

julia44
12-09-2011, 13:36
the doctors is open for another 25 mins if you want me to take you I think you live round the corner lynne
best to keep weight off it as well I have a stick you can borrow

Dustygouv
12-09-2011, 13:43
Ouch painful. You could give Guia a good ticking off too for closing their brand new pool in September and making you go all the way to a different one with a hazardous path!!

KirstyJay
12-09-2011, 13:47
the doctors is open for another 25 mins if you want me to take you I think you live round the corner lynneThanks v. muck for the offer! I think I'll be ok for today, as I don't really need to go anywhere. I'll just busy myself with forum stuff! :D

Ive jotted your number down and edited it out so some nutter doesn't get hold of it ;)

Sundowner
12-09-2011, 13:56
Elevate your foot and apply ice every 2 to 3 hours and stay off it as much as you can. If you have to walk on it bandage it tightly and wear a pair of hiking boots that will support your ankle.

julia44
12-09-2011, 13:56
If you have any mustard powder mix with some water ( no water if mustard out of a jar) and spread on a cloth and leave on the swelling cloth side to the skin it has an anti imflamatory effect so old fashioned but it works.

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2011, 14:38
best be careful KJ - I did the same thing and when after 2 weeks it was still swollen and painful I got it xrayed and I had fractured it.

I found that going from heat to cold brought out the swelling

Oh also 2 very large glasses of vino tinto really did help !

KirstyJay
12-09-2011, 14:49
Oh also 2 very large glasses of vino tinto really did help !What an excellent idea :D ;)

I'm actually really glad there were not any people around when I fell, as I really did go flying. It would have been rather embarrassing!

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2011, 14:51
I thought I saw it on you tube:wink2:

Fred Perry
12-09-2011, 19:29
Best bet is ice cold water just bearable to put your foot in. Leave in as long as is possible.

As for the compensation claim, not a chance. Sometimes I PR outside the store where I work and there is a pavement with a slight rise in it due to roots of trees trying to push up. The amount of people that trip up is unbelieveable, although it can be quite entertaining.

Talking about pavements; Arona has done alot of work in repaving the area from Oro Blanco Hotel down to Starco but have you seen what has happened? The new pavement is a very light colour and with all the palm trees dropping their small fruit it has stained large parts of the pavement-looks very dirty. IF they had trimmed down the Palm trees (and kept them trimmed) it would not have happened. Pathetic.

jewels
12-09-2011, 19:59
Does anyone have any remedies? At the moment it's soooo painful to walk on now. Just going downstairs to the loo is an effort! Will have to lay off the tea today... :whistle:

If only that were true! :D I was actually looking out for Jewels who was meeting me to buy my bread machine :o

So sorry Kirsty,we have been thinking about you all afternoon.Thanks for the breadmaker Ive just made a brown loaf and its fab.

KirstyJay
12-09-2011, 20:14
Great! :D I used to make classic white ones, but add oregano and parmesan to them and have it with pasta :)

MaxineC
12-09-2011, 22:30
Do you want some of my drugs, I've got a huge selection... something for everything! :crazy:

Vortex Wake
12-09-2011, 22:35
http://tapatalk.com/mu/50074abc-7b0a-64cc.jpg

Should have gone to Specsavers ..........

;)

Fred Perry
12-09-2011, 23:22
A video have just come in of another woman to have not seen the hole outside the Adeje Swimming baths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJbxhv-tOk

Malteser Monkey
13-09-2011, 10:12
How's the ankle today KJ

Suej
13-09-2011, 10:38
OMG I didn´t realise you meant a hole the size of a crater!!! Blady ´ell!:wow: