PDA

View Full Version : Monster flies in Tenerife ARGHH!

Suej
12-09-2011, 14:47
13431344[ATTACH=CONFIG]
And I thought Cockroaches were the pits! have a look at these Robber flies! there are quite a lot around now in Tenerife and they are the ugliest things I´ve ever seen here (well, almost) one pic shows the fly devouring a moth! they cannot do any harm and are good for the garden, but they can give you a painful bite!:wow: by the way the pictures were taken in my garden.:eek:

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2011, 14:55
looks more like a spider - yuck !

Oh I had a massive spider on my stairs the other day it was the size of my hand span - oh the legs on it were ohhh I just can't explain - I have to check the bedroom before I go to bed in cas there's anymore lurking.

Oh and before anyone asks I have a bug catcher from betterware to scoop and put outside althought just about got him in cramped up a bit - (shivers)

Suej
12-09-2011, 14:58
[QUOTE=Malteser Monkey;95797]looks more like a spider - yuck !

Oh I had a massive spider on my stairs the other day it was the size of my hand span - oh the legs on it were ohhh I just can't explain - I have to check the bedroom before I go to bed in cas there's anymore lurking.

Oh and before anyone asks I have a bug catcher from betterware to scoop and put outside althought just about got him in cramped up a bit - (shivers)[/QUO

TE]

Robber flies are quite big too! here´s a pic of my friends hand behind it he´s got quite big mitts too! Yeh MM they look a cross between a fly and a spider 1345

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2011, 15:01
is it the whole thing tail as well or is the tail the moth's (sorry can't make it out)

arghhh I just googled it ! it's the whole thing wow

Suej
12-09-2011, 15:03
is it the whole thing tail as well or is the tail the moth's (sorry can't make it out)

arghhh I just googled it ! it's the whole thing wow

If you look at the 2nd pic in earlier post you can see the whole of it from the back! they are really ugly and hairy!:(

TOTO 99
12-09-2011, 15:15
If you look at the 2nd pic in earlier post you can see the whole of it from the back! they are really ugly and hairy!:(

Shouldn't this description be on the "put a face to a name" thread? :laugh:

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2011, 15:24
Shouldn't this description be on the "put a face to a name" thread? :laugh:

You are not far wrong:tongue::cheeky::fpull:

Nic
12-09-2011, 20:59
ewwww they're horrible! thank goodness i haven't come across any of them, and i hope i don't either!! we've had a few more cockroaches than normal but has anyone noticed a drop in mosquitoes this year?! Oh and dragon flies seem to be on the increase too!

Andy0210
12-09-2011, 21:14
I used to get a lot of these in my graden, seen a few recently as well. I once saw one land on top of a normal house fly on my washing line and eat it.

timmylish
13-09-2011, 16:01
Funnily enough, when out for walkies with Yuriy this morning I happened to notice two of these flies on the ground. Beyjesus, my wee fell,s feet looked small in comparison!

Suej
13-09-2011, 16:46
There´s no mistaking them is there! they sound nothing like a bee buzzing when in flight it´s more of a low drone!:wow:

cainaries
13-09-2011, 16:54
Got them here, too, Suej. They remind me of those 'Black Hawk' US helicopters. Very strange shape for a fly. I've gone shivery just writing this post.