PDA

View Full Version : What's the equivalent of white spirit and turps in Tenerife?

Suej
13-09-2011, 12:17
We´ve been buying white spirits in Iceland as no one seemed to know what it was in the Ferreterias! anybody know what the Spanish equivalent is? also Turps?
:thanx:

Ian_N
13-09-2011, 12:59
I get dissolvente from Las Chafiras this gets off paint from i.e floors, surrounds etc.

Andy0210
13-09-2011, 13:12
I get dissolvente from Las Chafiras this gets off paint from i.e floors, surrounds etc.

Dissolvente is Thinners. :)

Suej
13-09-2011, 13:58
Dissolvente is Thinners. :)

Sorry I´m a non-DIY-er! can I use that for cleaning paint brushes Andy?:)

obs
13-09-2011, 14:14
What type of paint have you been using SueJ?

Suej
13-09-2011, 14:30
What type of paint have you been using SueJ?

Metal paint (Hammerite) and normal gloss (well,satin finish):thanx:

canarybird
13-09-2011, 15:08
Turpentine is aguarrás.

I don't know what are white spirits even in English. What are they used for? Is that a fuel, a cleaner or paint thinner???? Sorry.:ashamed:

Tenerife Blade
13-09-2011, 15:22
Aguarrás is the equivalent of turps, which can be used for thinning oil based paints, and also for cleaning brushes. If you're using Hammerite, use the recommended thinners or use dissolvente for cleaning your brushes. Hope this helps.

Suej
13-09-2011, 17:23
Turpentine is aguarrás.

I don't know what are white spirits even in English. What are they used for? Is that a fuel, a cleaner or paint thinner???? Sorry.:ashamed:

I think Tenerife Blade has just given us the answer Sharon:wave:! I didn´t have a clue! Thanks TB!:thanx: when I used to do handicraft type painting I always used White Spirit! haven´t a clue as to the difference between them all though.

canarybird
13-09-2011, 17:47
When painting wooden windows and doors around the house with enamel paint (gloss, semi-gloss, matte) I have always used turpentine (aguarrás) to clean the brushes or wipe up spots.

As far as I know, I've never used white spirits and although I've Googled it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit) and read about it, I'm still not sure what it would be in Spanish, other than just 'disolvente'.

Apparently it's also called mineral spirits but that still doesn't tell me if that would be the same as disolvente.

Guess I'll just stick to using turpentine. :)

Suej
13-09-2011, 17:52
When painting wooden windows and doors around the house with enamel paint (gloss, semi-gloss, matte) I have always used turpentine (aguarrás) to clean the brushes or wipe up spots.

As far as I know, I've never used white spirits and although I've Googled it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit) and read about it, I'm still not sure what it would be in Spanish, other than just 'disolvente'.

Apparently it's also called mineral spirits but that still doesn't tell me if that would be the same as disolvente.

Guess I'll just stick to using turpentine. :)

Think I will use Turps now too! still.....???

Goforgold
14-09-2011, 09:16
Think I will use Turps now too! still.....???

Is this your job for today Suej? :) We've got some White Spirits here, do you want me to throw some over to you?!!

ali marshall
14-09-2011, 10:11
I went to ferretaria in los cristianos in valdes centre yesterday and i asked for white spirit and he gave me a tin,its says disolvente universal nitro star-solv on it and at the bottom has a sign saying cuadrado,its a square tin white and orange with red lid lol.

I stopped smoking yesterday so on a mission to paint the apartment,will let you know if any good or if my brushes end up rock hard lol

Suej
14-09-2011, 10:35
I went to ferretaria in los cristianos in valdes centre yesterday and i asked for white spirit and he gave me a tin,its says disolvente universal nitro star-solv on it and at the bottom has a sign saying cuadrado,its a square tin white and orange with red lid lol.

I stopped smoking yesterday so on a mission to paint the apartment,will let you know if any good or if my brushes end up rock hard lol

Hi Ali! We´ve been doing major work in our house, mostly stuff the builders should have done! but no chance of that after 5 years! the whole complex is looking scruffy and shabby and they are such nice little houses:( Anyway off topic! keep your brushes in water until you want to clean them, they won´t go hard, and in between coats of emulsion wrap the brushes that have paint on in cling film or in a plastic bag you can reuse then without having to wash them out.
Master Decorator! :laugh:
ps. More importantly good luck with the no smoking!!!

Added after 2 minutes:

Is this your job for today Suej? :) We've got some White Spirits here, do you want me to throw some over to you?!!

Just some odd jobs left inside GFG! so I´ll manage!The whole front facia of the house is next!!!...eek2: