PDA

View Full Version : Relocation I need a little help

Danielle2401
13-09-2011, 17:19
Hello,

I’m just after some advice really. My mind is made up I am 100% moving to Tenerife, when I’m moving this I don’t know. I’m only 21 so I’ve got a bit of time left in me I figured. I went on holiday there last year and returned again this year and I am completely in love with the place.
I have read things on here saying that its not all as it seems once you are actually out there and living it for real rather than a holiday but I am still wanting to give this a go as I try and achieve everything I want.

I’ve got a job in the UK which is good enough pay for someone my age so saving up wont be a big problem, I don’t have any ties at all no partner, children and I still live with my Dad so I have no house to pay for. Apart from a little board a month but that’s it.

So here are a few questions I have and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

• A rough figure on how much money I would need to save before coming over? (this is my main worry as I would like this to be as spot on as possible. This also depends on how quickly i can move over)

• Do you find people looking for house mates? (I am looking for someone to come over with me eventually this is just in case none of my friends/family are not interested I would definitely look into this)

• I really need some websites with apartment rentals on?

These are only a few but before I delve deeper into this big decision.
I’ve also been thinking about getting a room in a holiday resort for a month if I am unable to find a place to live. Ideally I wouldn’t like to do this but I can get self catering from about £600 or all inclusive for about £1200. Would this be a silly idea?

I’m sorry if I sound silly in my questions but as you can tell I am really inexperienced I have never lived out of my home town and its time for a change. I know this for a fact I need to get away and do something different.

Everyones answers and opinions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ed3229
13-09-2011, 17:45
IMO holidays and living in Tenerife are two totally different things...Money is the key thing you can never have too much but in reality unless you have a job you will never have enough!!
Sorry to sound so negative but been there done that :sorry:

Danielle2401
13-09-2011, 17:57
I would definitely be looking to work there too not just to live. I will be starting Spanish lesson in a month or so too which i'm hoping will help.

Would looking for work before i go be best or is it best to look for it whilst there? Im confused about the job situation because all i get on websites i look on are the summer job ones an i'm obviously looking for something more permanent.

Do you know any sites that would be useful?

Also the money i were thinking about was for a few months rent for a place incase i cant find work whilst out there then i can save up as well as working without having to worry about the first few months about where my rent is going to come from etc.

My least worry is failing as then i can at least say i have tried and not sat here and wondered what if.

Thank you for your reply.

Ed3229
13-09-2011, 18:12
Im sure others will point you in the right direction but if you do it.....Fix a time you you will spend on the island e.g 6 months,save the rent for a month over that time,KEEP the money for a ticket home,don't blow your money going out 7 days a week and don't forget to eat.
Long rentals are cheaper that short stays and don't beleve everything people tell you about jobs they don't always come true.

MrsTT
13-09-2011, 18:36
Hi Danielle - welcome to the forum.

Your question is one that is asked regularly. If you spend time reading through the threads here (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Living-in-amp-Moving-to-Tenerife)in this section of the forum, there are lots of answers already.

If you still have questions after you have read the information, then please ask away. :D

AL JAY
13-09-2011, 19:18
Welcome to the forum Danielle, First of all the best place for advice is here on the forum, I don't think its a good idea to come out on your own, Tenerife can be a very lonely place if you don't know anyone here! I would try and get an adventurous mate to come over for a month but don't treat it as a holiday,no laying around the pool all day after a late night out. Many have tried it in the past and some are still here but most last about 3 weeks. In saying all that if i was still only 21 i would be over there like a shot, Whatever you decide i wish you the best of luck!

nicki
13-09-2011, 19:41
hi,

how much money you need to save up, depends on where you want to live , rent can go from really cheap to very stuppidly high. but lets say if you live sensible, dont go out to binchdrink everyday and dont fall in the tourist traps, you should easily manage with 1200 a month , which is more the an average paycheck here. Taking spanish lessons is a great move, it will help a lot if you are speaking spanish, it will definitly help in finding a job. unfortunatly it will not be so easy searching for a job from a distance , but you can always google jobs in tenerife , and so on.
you will find that the majority of job offers is holidayrelated, meaning; timeshare and stuff, which are then typical salesjobs , other then that restaurants and bars are the best options . I dont know what your skills or education is but anything buildingrelated is at a very slow rate now.
As for getting to know people, i think that given the age its an easy thing to do, and it also depends on your personality; ofcourse if you come with a friend it means support, depends on your personality whether you will like it on your own.
if you need a place to rent , the forum is a good option to search, but also just looking around here and phoning up for rent signs
what ever you decide, wish you good luck

cressrt
13-09-2011, 19:57
Hi,
Do you want to live in the "UK in the Sun" or to live in a foreign and Spanish speaking country?
If you really want to live here then, at your age and if you are prepared to do it, I would suggest taking say 6 months out and go to Spain or a Spanish speaking country and learn Spanish in a family / totally Spanish speaking environment (there are websites which offer this type of learning). This would help you more with language ability than learning in the UK and potentiality give you better access to not just Tenerife but all the other Spanish speaking countries in the world, of which there are many.
You are still young and have a lifetime ahead of you, the more preparation you put in now before making any move the better you will be prepared. It's a big world don't limit your vision to one small island however good it may seem whilst on holiday!
Whatever you choose to do, good luck!

Sarah
13-09-2011, 20:49
I would think about it very carefully if you have a good job in the UK. If you had a few months worth of savings you didn't mind possibly losing and no commitments in UK then give it a go.

I would book a one way flight and two weeks in a hotel/apartment and look then because it is very difficult to do anything from UK and keep some money for a flight home.

You are going to be restricted without very good written and verbal Spanish. Be prepared to do PRing or telesales !!

Danielle2401
14-09-2011, 18:13
I just wanted to thank you ALL for you advice and kind words. It's made me want to come out there even more!

I think at first i'm going to look at renting somewhere for a 6 month period which i'm hoping will help make my mind up for sure whether it's for me or not. I'va actually found somewhere in Los Cristianos which i thought were a decent price and has all bills included, it's a 30 minute walk from Las Americas where i have a couple of friends but that dont bother me as i've done this walk nearly every day when been on holiday as family had been staying close to this apartment.

Again i can't thank any of you enough for helping me out!

Danielle :thanx:

Flossieinpink
14-09-2011, 18:31
Good Luck Danielle and take care chuck x:wave:

selcukuk
05-10-2011, 13:45
I would say go for it and try have some adventure, life is too short.No question marks inside your head as long as you are healty the rest are blank.........