PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather be skint in the sun?

CIM
06-06-2011, 21:13
Something I saw people write time and time again (and have heard people say) "Iīd rather be skint in the sun..."

I think this is a load of crap personally - If I couldnīt make a decent living here - Iīd go somewhere else - anywhere! Anywhere where there are better opportunities. I couldnīt give a monkeys about the weather if I didnīt have any money, was constantly stressed about paying the mortgage or rent and counting my euros when shopping for food.

Would you rather be skint in the sun? Or would you head back to your own country where the social will make sure you arenīt left on the street starving?

Note: I have no problem at all with those who disagree with this - just thought I may as well add my own opinion if I am going to ask the question.

with cheese
06-06-2011, 21:22
You can't be CIM as you will always be rich in Vitamin D.

caroll72
06-06-2011, 21:22
I agree CIM, think it's rubbish when people say they'd rather be skint in the sun!

There are people we know who've hung on in their paradise in the sun till the last bitter minute without the means for a flight ticket.

We left when we chose to, not because we had to, but we knew we would have more stability in uk.

Them that say they'd rather be skint in the sun are living in fools paradise :whistle:

candy2411
06-06-2011, 21:37
Hope I'm never ' skint ' anywhere I choose to live but have to say think the majority of people would prefer to be in a warm and sunny place if they were, as the heating bill would be one less bill to worry about!

I don't think you can generalise...it all depends on the individual's circumstances and what someone wants from their life.

I have a nephew currently living in the centre of London earning an absolute fortune but also paying a fortune in rent but loves the buzz of the city and couldnt envisage living anywhere else AT THE PRESENT TIME, so has to pay inflated prices for the privilege....

An older person who didnt need the bright lights and buzz of the city would obviously see somewhere like Tenerife as a better option
and I wouldnt blame any pensioner say for moving to the Canaries for a better lifestyle, healthier climate to enjoy their retirement even if they were on a low budget.

I mean how much does it cost to stroll out in the sunshine even in winter months and enjoy a coffee/beer on the sea front.....its something you cant do in the UK for most of the year, the alternative being to stay in with the central heating on and we all know how much that costs these days.

I know what I'll be opting for if the time ever comes....hopefully not for a long time yet......

Jimandsi
06-06-2011, 21:43
Them that say they'd rather be skint in the sun are living in fools paradise :whistle:

That's what I've never been able to get my head around.

Take your average Mr and Mrs Britexpat:-

If they're retired, they are worrying themselves silly over their crappy little pension, the exchange rate, the price of a pint / a packet of fags and how little they can spend in Mercadona to keep themselves alive.

If they're not retired then he's probably a PR whilst she works behind a bar somewhere, both putting in very long hours for literally, peanuts.

Not exactly "paradise", is it ?

9PLUS
06-06-2011, 21:51

Paradise is a state of mind, it only exists in emotions.

Harmonicaman
06-06-2011, 21:52
Paradise is a state of mind, it only exists in emotions.

Celtic play fitba' there...

9PLUS
06-06-2011, 21:59
Celtic play fitba' there...

Press button

megsdad
06-06-2011, 22:15

If they're retired, they are worrying themselves silly over their crappy little pension, the exchange rate, the price of a pint / a packet of fags and how little they can spend in Mercadona to keep themselves alive.

If they're not retired then he's probably a PR whilst she works behind a bar somewhere, both putting in very long hours for literally, peanuts.

Having a prent at 81 still exising in your "paradise" although she has no worry over exchanga rates, still worries about her, as you sy, crappy pension and all the other pleasures of life, I am retired and after extensively travelling the world have chosen to settle here, perhaps the "disallusioned as Iīm a failure in life" forum is more your thing

Jimandsi
06-06-2011, 22:20
Having a prent at 81 still exising in your "paradise" although she has no worry over exchanga rates, still worries about her, as you sy, crappy pension and all the other pleasures of life, I am retired and after extensively travelling the world have chosen to settle here, perhaps the "disallusioned as Iīm a failure in life" forum is more your thing

Not quite sure what you're trying to say megsdad, but good luck anyway - you'll be needing it !

cainaries
06-06-2011, 22:21

Whenever I rise to Jimandsi's bait, I kick myself but ... my crappy little pension has even less value in the UK than here, a pint and a packet of fags are cheaper here so please explain why I would be better off in the UK? Done the maths and our crappy little pensions go further here than in the UK. though we could come back and claim lots of benefits from you hard-pressed taxpayers?

Jimandsi
06-06-2011, 22:23
Whenever I rise to Jimandsi's bait, I kick myself but ... my crappy little pension has even less value in the UK than here, a pint and a packet of fags are cheaper here so please explain why I would be better off in the UK? Done the maths and our crappy little pensions go further here than in the UK. though we could come back and claim lots of benefits from you hard-pressed taxpayers?

But from what I can see - you spend most of your time on here, whinging !

Is that paradise to you ?

with cheese
06-06-2011, 22:24
And pay for heating, holidays or extortionate prices for fuel.

bonitatime
06-06-2011, 22:28
Not sure how skint you would need to be. For many money isn't everything. Nothing would make me go back to the UK and if I had to leave here it would be one of the other islands or the mainland followed by France or in the worst case senario my other halfs homeland although the thought of the cold makes me cringe.
The way of life here means you don't need so much. Rents are lower and no one needs all the things we are inclined to surround ourselves with. So I would say given that I would rather be skint in the sun.
Interestingly how bad things are has recently passed me by as my youngest told me this morning where there are good bins to go scavenging in. Not that she was I hasten to add she is just better informed than me.

cainaries
06-06-2011, 22:29
But from what I can see - you spend most of your time on here, whinging !

Is that paradise to you ?
Do I? You've quite surprised me there. What have I been whinging about, Jimandsi?

DaveRF
06-06-2011, 22:29
Here we go. Popcorn and a comfy seat anyone? :popcorn:

CIM
06-06-2011, 22:36
if I had to leave here it would be one of the other islands or the mainland followed by France or in the worst case senario my other halfs homeland although the thought of the cold makes me cringe.
I have had the same thought for a long time - I certainly wouldn't "head for home" I would look at the whole world and go somewhere else - if if happened to be the UK then it would be the UK but I dont think many Brits living here are as detached as that. Plus my other half and child have never been to the UK so it means nothing to them.

Greg
06-06-2011, 22:47
oooh goody, I'm sitting very comfortably and there's nothing on the box and I've watched all my illegally downloaded movies. :gun:

CIM
06-06-2011, 22:48
Anyways, JimandSi was about to tell Cainaries what she has been whinging about...

cainaries
06-06-2011, 22:54
Anyways, JimandSi was about to tell Cainaries what she has been whinging about...

I'm really interested to know but he's struggling to find things, it seems! OH would agree with him, he is always moaning that I'm moaning .... (horrors, could my OH be Jimandsi?)

CIM
06-06-2011, 22:55
I'm really interested to know but he's struggling to find things, it seems! OH would agree with him, he is always moaning that I'm moaning .... (horrors, could my OH be Jimandsi?)
Haha - like one of M Night Shyamalanamanams crappy plot twists!

with cheese
06-06-2011, 22:56

This ain't a whinge then?

Jackie
06-06-2011, 23:00
If you're skint then you're skint wherever you are...

with cheese
06-06-2011, 23:03
At least being skint you know where you are. If you are rich you will always be worried which way it may go.

atlantico
06-06-2011, 23:20
If I was skint . . . . I'd find somewhere I could earn some money . . . . . don't matter where that be.

BUT, once I'd earned enough . . . . . I'd go back to the sun !

CIM
06-06-2011, 23:32
If I was skint . . . . I'd find somewhere I could earn some money . . . . . don't matter where that be.
My thoughts exactly...

christa
06-06-2011, 23:40
I think if you were completely down on our ass skint, the last thing you would be thinking about was the weather! you would have a go at any opportunity to get money to provide for your loved ones/yourself etc. If you earn enough to keep that roof over your head, I would rather that roof be under that beautiful golden ball in the sky than under a miserable grey blanket of cloud elsewhere.

sundownersvince
07-06-2011, 00:22
I was skint yesterday but today I'm ok.................

with cheese
07-06-2011, 07:09
I was skint yesterday but today I'm ok.................

Benefit Fraud eh mate, brilliant. You watch someone will be on here now seriously accusing you of it.

Jimandsi
07-06-2011, 09:49
Do I? You've quite surprised me there. What have I been whinging about, Jimandsi?

I really don't have the time (unlike some) to look through your previous posts but I'll tell you what, the next time I see one of your whinging posts, I'll let you know.

It should be before close of business today. :hat:

Give that man a coconut :lol:

This ain't a whinge then?

Not at all - it's an observation of mine and judging by the "thanks" and PM's that I've had, a lot of members agree with me.

Where though ? Tenerife ? or somewhere a bit more upmarket ?

Sundowner
07-06-2011, 11:11
If I was Skint I would prefer to live in the U.K. at least you would be housed and get enough money to feed yourself. But if you are talking about having a low income as a worker/pensioner then I would choose Tenerife. Being poor in the sun beats being poor in the cold and wet any day.

Jackie
07-06-2011, 12:19
If I was Skint I would prefer to live in the U.K. at least you would be housed and get enough money to feed yourself. But if you are talking about having a low income as a worker/pensioner then I would choose Tenerife. Being poor in the sun beats being poor in the cold and wet any day.

This is not strictly true. Thanks to so called family members whom my son was living with and paying rent to prior to going to Australia he is now homeless. He also had to cut his trip to OZ short thanks to them but that is another story gggrrrr. He went to see about housing and they told him unless he is pregnant???, has just come out of prison or has just finished a drug rehab course there is nothing they can do for him unless he is willing to go into shared accommodation of the Councils choice with up to 5 other people that he does not know. Thankfully my son has never been in any trouble with the police/drugs or the like but god forbid that he got put into accommodation with people that aren't so lucky, who's knows what could happen.

Thankfully his girlfriends parent are good friends of ours anyway and are putting him up until he can get sorted, but can you see how easy it is to be on the streets??

Zara
07-06-2011, 12:47
This is not strictly true. Thanks to so called family members whom my son was living with and paying rent to prior to going to Australia he is now homeless. He also had to cut his trip to OZ short thanks to them but that is another story gggrrrr. He went to see about housing and they told him unless he is pregnant???, has just come out of prison or has just finished a drug rehab course there is nothing they can do for him unless he is willing to go into shared accommodation of the Councils choice with up to 5 other people that he does not know. Thankfully my son has never been in any trouble with the police/drugs or the like but god forbid that he got put into accommodation with people that aren't so lucky, who's knows what could happen.

Thankfully his girlfriends parent are good friends of ours anyway and are putting him up until he can get sorted, but can you see how easy it is to be on the streets??

Jackie, that is probably the problem, he is a good lad with no past history. If you had brought him up to be a scrounger he would have known all the tricks to get every benefit going. :wall: Tell him to go an do a few muggings, get the girlfriend pregnant and he will find himself in a nice house.:crazy:

Sundowner
07-06-2011, 12:48

I was not really thinking of young fit people who are able to work........or maybe I was not really thinking :) Glad he is sorted and I am sorry his Oz adventure was cut short.

Jackie
07-06-2011, 12:59
I was not really thinking of young fit people who are able to work........or maybe I was not really thinking :) Glad he is sorted and I am sorry his Oz adventure was cut short.

I think that was another problem Sundowner, the fact that he had secured a job within a week of being back from OZ and also put himself on another training course. The lady at the council said they very rarely get people going in about housing who have any job let alone a full time job. As Zara said perhaps if he was claiming every benefit going they would have given him a nice 3 bedroom newly decorated house to doss about in:mad:

johnhiggins
10-06-2011, 05:32
Anyone wants advice on unlocking a frozen Uk pension or advice drop me a line, no fees, but will accept a few san miguels on my nexxt visit to the island !!

9PLUS
10-06-2011, 08:21
Anyone wants advice on unlocking a frozen Uk pension or advice drop me a line, no fees, but will accept a few san miguels on my nexxt visit to the island !!

Blimey John try eBay you're on a winner

xx

Added after 3 minutes:

The trick to living in Tenerife (not just)

pull your finger out of your ass

we'll go back to the UK and get this and that, blimey what a show off.

Maybe you shouldn't of come to Tenerife with 10p in your pocket.

johnhiggins
10-06-2011, 08:34
Cheers 9plus

Would have tried that, but eBay charge fees, I dont :doh:

I'm just after an excuse to come over again before xmas !!

John

Mawkin
10-06-2011, 12:12
As there seams to be more people living rough, homeless and begging in Tenerife it appears they would rather be skint in the sun than in county where they came from.

primrose
10-06-2011, 12:28
As there seams to be more people living rough, homeless and begging in Tenerife it appears they would rather be skint in the sun than in county where they came from.

Having become homeless in Tenerife where do they get the money to get back home, as far as I know they don't give free flights to homeless people.

YOUNG GOLFER
10-06-2011, 12:45
Having become homeless in Tenerife where do they get the money to get back home, as far as I know they don't give free flights to homeless people.

Would be a great idea though to ask these homeless people if they want to go back to their home land.....then get the local council to pay for it.

I have no problem knowing my taxes are spent in cleaning up the streets.

Everyone is then happy.

primrose
10-06-2011, 14:33
Would be a great idea though to ask these homeless people if they want to go back to their home land.....then get the local council to pay for it.

I have no problem knowing my taxes are spent in cleaning up the streets.

Everyone is then happy.

While your asking the local council to pay for free flights home for the homeless perhaps you could ask them to supply food parcels to the Canarians who have no income and are being given food parcels by the Red Cross so they can feed their children.The sun does not stop a child from feeling hungry.

helhod
10-06-2011, 15:03
After 5 years in Tenerife had to come back to uk ,Could not live being skint loose are home we worked so hard for..Woked in Tenerife till the day we flew back here .Lived in shared house till we had a enough to rent here back in uk ,never rented in my life but cannot buy back here due to what we want to keep in tenerife for when the time is right to move back .I started work a couple of days after arriving back here ,All i do now is work work work ,No sunbathing No swimming in the pool :( Lucky to have Bruce over who i missed while he was waiting his jabs ,Now have what i can call a home and new pup to keep bruce company while at work ,.It has taken 2 years to achieve a decent rented home here .Bills high but thats England for you ,i hate paying council tax especially at this moment as bin men have been on strike for a few weeks ,so off we take the crap to the dump were as others cannot be bothered !!Only been to a pub once since being back and that was only 3 weeks ago prices way to high! Give me my terrace and mercadona beer any day ,look forward to the day i return which wont be for a few years yet except for holidays