PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't someone open a British butchers in Tenerife?

Tom & Sharon
14-09-2011, 19:42
We are currently in the UK.

I (Sharon) have just had an absolutely lovely piece of rump steak for dinner, which I bought in Sainsbury's . It was sooooooo much nicer than anything you can buy in Mercadona or anywhere else. I am sure it's not the quality of the beef in Tenerife, more to do with the cut. The Spanish cuts of meat are really quite different to ours.

The butcher in Iceland is amazingly accommodating, bless him, and will cut meat for you. But at the end end the day, he's not a British butcher. The meat is still not cut the same.

Quite often on here, there are threads asking what kind of business would be successful in Tenerife. Why does no-one ever think of opening a British butchers?

I am sure that if someone did, selling freshly cut, good quality meat, it would be a success. All the things you can't get - lovely Sunday roast joints like Rib beef on the bone, rack of lamb, lamb rump, familiar cuts of beef, pork and lamb, homemade sausages.

I would be there in a flash!

It would need to be near Iceland of course, so you could get the extras for Sunday dinner........................

Peterrayner
14-09-2011, 19:46
http://www.beefretail.org/CMDocs/BeefRetail/hispanic/SpanishCutChart.pdf

Tom & Sharon
14-09-2011, 19:49
http://www.beefretail.org/CMDocs/BeefRetail/hispanic/SpanishCutChart.pdf

Nice chart Peter, but still not British, and still not a shop!

Suej
14-09-2011, 19:53
The German butcher in Guaragaucho is pretty good! not British I know but the meat is first class.

marbro8
14-09-2011, 19:54
We are currently in the UK.

I (Sharon) have just had an absolutely lovely piece of rump steak for dinner, which I bought in Sainsbury's . It was sooooooo much nicer than anything you can buy in Mercadona or anywhere else. I am sure it's not the quality of the beef in Tenerife, more to do with the cut. The Spanish cuts of meat are really quite different to ours.

The butcher in Iceland is amazingly accommodating, bless him, and will cut meat for you. But at the end end the day, he's not a British butcher. The meat is still not cut the same.

Quite often on here, there are threads asking what kind of business would be successful in Tenerife. Why does no-one ever think of opening a British butchers?

I am sure that if someone did, selling freshly cut, good quality meat, it would be a success. All the things you can't get - lovely Sunday roast joints like Rib beef on the bone, rack of lamb, lamb rump, familiar cuts of beef, pork and lamb, homemade sausages.

I would be there in a flash!

It would need to be near Iceland of course, so you could get the extras for Sunday dinner........................if you opened a british butcher's then you would have to import british meat, so maybe it might be to expensive? or to much red tape? also you are selling to a niche market, so is there a big enough Brit community to sustain it? i think ed should answer this question as he is the expert;)

KirstyJay
14-09-2011, 19:59
The meat imported here is usually from south america. It mostly comes in frozen, so nothing you buy is fresh.

If you want a good steak, buy solemillo (fillet) not rump.... it's far better :)

Tom & Sharon
14-09-2011, 20:00
if you opened a british butcher's then you would have to import british meat, so maybe it might be to expensive? or to much red tape? also you are selling to a niche market, so is there a big enough Brit community to sustain it? i think ed should answer this question as he is the expert;)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the quality of the meat, I just don't think the cuts are as good.

You can't get a decent steak in Mercadona for love nor money! And as for a Sunday roast, well.....................chicken every week it is then.

marbro8
14-09-2011, 20:08
I don't think there is anything wrong with the quality of the meat, I just don't think the cuts are as good.

You can't get a decent steak in Mercadona for love nor money! And as for a Sunday roast, well.....................chicken every week it is then.when we ordered fillet steak in a restaurant one night we couldn't believe how bad the quality was, but we were told any piece of steak in tenerife can be called fillet because it doesn't mean the same as in britain

bonitatime
14-09-2011, 20:09
Perhaps you should try a butchers instead of a supermarket. Theres a great on in Los Olivos.

MaxineC
14-09-2011, 20:13
Go to Hiper Dino, their meat is superb... Never had a bad piece from there.

Sorry, (this will rile some of you) but why do so many of the people that move here want to change everything to English this, that and the other... If England offers so much more, move back there! Many of those people are the same ones that complain about immigrants flooding into the UK - I fail to see what the difference is...

This is a small island in the middle of the atlantic, there is no cattle, therefore no fresh meat. Yes the cuts are different, but so what... Strange at first, but you soon get used to it!

Rant over!

marbro8
14-09-2011, 20:20

Sorry, (this will rile some of you) but why do so many of the people that move here want to change everything to English this, that and the other... If England offers so much more, move back there! Many of those people are the same ones that complain about immigrants flooding into the UK - I fail to see what the difference is..

This is a small island in the middle of the atlantic, there is no cattle, therefore no fresh meat. Yes the cuts are different, but so what... Strange at first, but you soon get used to it!

Rant over!oh dear wait for it, i can't find the hide behind the soffa smilley:whistle:

warbey
14-09-2011, 20:24
British Butchers are largely an endangered species.
They all work in Supermarkets, rarely their own Shops.

Any Meat can be cut the English way. It comes in complete sides usually.
As Max says, why insist English.?
Go with the Flow perhaps

Tom & Sharon
14-09-2011, 20:36

Sorry, (this will rile some of you) but why do so many of the people that move here want to change everything to English this, that and the other... If England offers so much more, move back there! Many of those people are the same ones that complain about immigrants flooding into the UK - I fail to see what the difference is...

Rant over!

British Butchers are largely an endangered species.
They all work in Supermarkets, rarely their own Shops.

Any Meat can be cut the English way. It comes in complete sides usually.
As Max says, why insist English.?
Go with the Flow perhaps

I do go to Hiperdino, and yes you're right, it is good meat.

If you read my post again, it wasn't a moan about everything not being English.

My point is, that there is (in my opinion!) a business opportunity there for someone.

There is always someone on this forum contemplating a new business idea. 9/10 are bars (yawn.....) Yet no-one has ever mentioned opening a British butchers. Again, people complaining there are no jobs. Well, look for a skills gap and fill it.

If our son wanted to stay in Tenerife (which he doesn't) I would seriously consider sending him to the UK to train as a butcher, and opening one.

I just think it would be a success that's all, and wondered whether others agreed.

Suej
14-09-2011, 20:47

My point is, that there is (in my opinion!) a business opportunity there for someone.

There is always someone on this forum contemplating a new business idea. 9/10 are bars (yawn.....) Yet no-one has ever mentioned opening a British butchers. Again, people complaining there are no jobs. Well, look for a skills gap and fill it.

If our son wanted to stay in Tenerife (which he doesn't) I would seriously consider sending him to the UK to train as a butcher, and opening one.

I just think it would be a success that's all, and wondered whether others agreed.

Well I have to say you might have a point! The German butchers in Guargacho is always busy and very successful, so why not an English one?:)

Goforgold
14-09-2011, 20:47
The bananas are different too ;) It was a shock !

EileenD
14-09-2011, 21:15
Agree with all you say Maxine. We are after all living on a Spanish island! I have always found the meat very good from our local Coviran meat counter and their 'solemillo' fillet steak is great better and cheaper than in the UK. As per comments above most of the meat here is imported from South America and is either vacuum packed or frozen but the quality is good. I also agree that the Hiper Dino meat is good especially their pork. Anyone who wants to cook traditional roasts in the heat here must be mad. If we want a Sunday roast we go to one of the restaurants who do them but quite frankly we don't often fancy that and would rather BBQ some local meat or pork. Just the same as in the UK I would never buy meat from Tesco so same here I don't buy from Mercadona because the quality is poor, oh except for their vacuum packed pork fillet which is very good. It just amazes me how many people here shop in Iceland and I mean a big shop, must cost a fortune. I confess to getting a few things there but the longer I live here the less I shop there and try to use the Spanish brands which are much cheaper. When in Rome!!! But then the English are very guilty of trying to build a ' little England' wherever they live. I'm Scottish by the way LOL!!!

Goforgold
14-09-2011, 21:20
Talking of building a 'Little England'. I was in York the other day and we heard more foreigners there, than we hear when in Tenerife. :)

marbro8
14-09-2011, 21:27
Talking of building a 'Little England'. I was in York the other day and we heard more foreigners there, than we hear when in Tenerife. :)go to london gfg i went there to re register my company at the bulgarian embassy and i asked about 10 people for directions and got 2 aussies, 3 russians, 4 south africans and a peruvian:dontknow:

doreen
14-09-2011, 21:29
And speaking of Little England ... I caught a new programme called just that (was it the Beeb?) about the English in the Dordogne ... 20,000 they reckoned, and a butcher with a yearing to be a farmer has moved there and is doing well selling to the ex-pats and "growing his own" :)

Suej
14-09-2011, 21:32
I still cook a roast in the winter here and thoroughly enjoy it!:) In the UK we have Kosher butchers, Halal butchers, so why not foreign butchers here? canīt see the problem with it at all and it might be nice to have the variety if possible.:D

marbro8
14-09-2011, 21:42
I still cook a roast in the winter here and thoroughly enjoy it!:) In the UK we have Kosher butchers, Halal butchers, so why not foreign butchers here? canīt see the problem with it at all and it might be nice to have the variety if possible.:Di brought some halal chicken the other day(not because i am a muslim but because i do a bit of dealing with my local butcher) and it was lovely, i had 12 realy large portions for Ģ10:D:D

Tom
14-09-2011, 21:42
Talking of building a 'Little England'. I was in York the other day and we heard more foreigners there, than we hear when in Tenerife. :)

Try living here.

atlantico
14-09-2011, 21:43
well I for PREFER the local steak and its cut ! Rarely do I buy steak when I'm in UK. Our local Taberna, Pollo del Taberna, buys in a complete side and cuts it his own way - thick and THICK !!

Goforgold
14-09-2011, 21:49
Try living here.

I'm not bothered about meat, except carne con papa in Tenerife, which I love. If I'm in need of a roast dinner I'll go to the carvery and for a fiver I can get a lovely meal with all the trimmings and no washing up afterwards. Just call me lazy!!

You live in York Tom, how lucky are you? Fantastic place. :) Can't wait to go back and explore some more. :)

michele
14-09-2011, 22:10
we have had good meat diff from uk ...if we dont eat out we like a walk to the fish cabins on the port of los chris....fish is brill caught that day and the shell fish...we often sit with some crusty bread and butter and i make a seafood dip with a big plate of prawns or shrimps and a btl of wine lovely about 10pm....x

Andy0210
14-09-2011, 22:10
Is Pete the Meat at Euromeat in Orotiendo Bajo not an English Butcher ???

9PLUS
14-09-2011, 22:18
I can see three future threads

Why is the British butchers in Tenerife expensive compared to Mercadona?

Why isn't there ANOTHER British butchers in Tenerife?

Why is the British butchers in blah blah a rip off?

delderek
14-09-2011, 22:53
Meat has to be "hung" to achieve its full flavour (beef for instance at least 21 days) this has never been the practice in Spain, or indeed any warmer climates for obvious reasons, although these days with temperature control it wouldn't be a problem.
This in my opinion is why the meat in Tenerife is very bland, nothing wrong with the quality, just not matured long enough.

marbro8
14-09-2011, 22:59
Meat has to be "hung" to achieve its full flavour (beef for instance at least 21 days) this has never been the practice in Spain, or indeed any warmer climates for obvious reasons, although these days with temperature control it wouldn't be a problem.
This in my opinion is why the meat in Tenerife is very bland, nothing wrong with the quality, just not matured long enough.you are so right, my mate goes to ludlow every few weeks and brings back the blackest and most tastiest "t" bone steaks i have ever eaten, and they are hung for 28 day's:yum:

cainaries
14-09-2011, 23:03
Ed3229 (or whatever number it is) ... where are you? I do so hope you are reading this thread.

ED ... hello???? Anyone there ED???? Business opportunity Ed ???

marbro8
14-09-2011, 23:08
Ed3229 (or whatever number it is) ... where are you? I do so hope you are reading this thread.

ED ... hello???? Anyone there ED???? Business opportunity Ed ???i was hoping for some feedback on the balti sausage idea i gave him but pffft, oh well we are both staying at the compostella in october i might just dunk him in the pool:D

kieraj
14-09-2011, 23:09
I am a veggie, but went to a steakhouse in orlando and the guy spent 30 mins explaining to everyone how long the meat had been hanging etc they all chose what bit of the cow they wanted to eat and my god they enjoyed it, I had two mushrooms filled with rice and if I didn't share them I would still be there, they were mushrooms I hadn't met before they were very large and scrummy x

cainaries
14-09-2011, 23:09
i was hoping for some feedback on the balti sausage idea i gave him but pffft, oh well we are both staying at the compostella in october i might just dunk him in the pool:D

He and I are the only Southampton supporters on here I think so I feel I should defend him. So, why not ask him to buy you a nice steak dinner instead?

marbro8
14-09-2011, 23:25
He and I are the only Southampton supporters on here I think so I feel I should defend him. So, why not ask him to buy you a nice steak dinner instead?i was only joking lol if he is a butcher chances are he is about 15 stone lol, my nephews went to southampton for our last game last season and said what a fantastic place, your supporters clapped us because we had escaped relegation and the atmoss was fab, i actualy missed it because we were in tenerife, but i have booked our hols next year after the football season ends, i just hope we don't make it into the play off:D

cainaries
14-09-2011, 23:29
i was only joking lol if he is a butcher chances are he is about 15 stone lol, my nephews went to southampton for our last game last season and said what a fantastic place, your supporters clapped us because we had escaped relegation and the atmoss was fab, i actualy missed it because we were in tenerife, but i have booked our hols next year after the football season ends, i just hope we don't make it into the play off:D

Southampton supporters are indeed very nice people (?). Though I'm beginning to wonder about ED (where IS he?)Thanks for the compliments. And good luck all round may best team win and all that. You'll know Ed when you see him, he'll be the one in the stripey apron.

marbro8
14-09-2011, 23:32
Southampton supporters are indeed very nice people (?). Though I'm beginning to wonder about ED (where IS he?)Thanks for the compliments. And good luck all round may best team win and all that. You'll know Ed when you see him, he'll be the one in the stripey apron.and the two young blond sons running him ragged lol

cainaries
14-09-2011, 23:35
and the two young blond sons running him ragged lol

He's probably fallen asleep~!

Ian_N
14-09-2011, 23:37
My friend who comes over who is a butcher and owns shops in Ireland always recommends supercor in the sansofe complex in San Isidro, he says best meat pretty much on island and they do organic aswell and believe me he is fussy.
I have found i think called pesto y bellota butchers good as they cut to order and you see the meat hanging in the fridges behind them, remember they do grade the meat everywhere here from say 1a to 2 depending on age, quality and cuts.

Sorry forgot to mention there was an English butchers about 15 yrs ago in the Apollo centre around where the paper shop is opp San Marino.

Ed3229
15-09-2011, 07:10
Time for me to stick my head in..........Im a British Butcher.
Yes I could open a shop in Tenerife BUT it would not be a good representation of a "British" butchers.
The main reason is the meat......I work with free range meat raised on our farm and this is fantastic quality meat.
The meat you guys have is very good but its not the same.(cattle breeds are not great)
By the way its British Sausage week.......Got 2 sausage's in a contest this week........Fingers crossed for gold award.

Added after 3 minutes:

i was hoping for some feedback on the balti sausage idea i gave him but pffft, oh well we are both staying at the compostella in october i might just dunk him in the pool:D

Its a work in progress marbro...Rome wasn't built in a day.....

Added after 2 minutes:

i was only joking lol if he is a butcher chances are he is about 15 stone lol, my nephews went to southampton for our last game last season and said what a fantastic place, your supporters clapped us because we had escaped relegation and the atmoss was fab, i actualy missed it because we were in tenerife, but i have booked our hols next year after the football season ends, i just hope we don't make it into the play off:D

15 stone !!! LOL your in for a big surprise..........

TOTO 99
15-09-2011, 07:45
My friend who comes over who is a butcher and owns shops in Ireland always recommends supercor in the sansofe complex in San Isidro, he says best meat pretty much on island and they do organic aswell and believe me he is fussy.
I have found i think called pesto y bellota butchers good as they cut to order and you see the meat hanging in the fridges behind them, remember they do grade the meat everywhere here from say 1a to 2 depending on age, quality and cuts.

Sorry forgot to mention there was an English butchers about 15 yrs ago in the Apollo centre around where the paper shop is opp San Marino.

God Ian, I remember the butchers on the Apollo. I'm now going to have to spend all day trying to remember the name of it..lol..It seemed to do well but I think the poor guy fell by the wayside. I think he lived on San Marino? If you think of the name please put me out of my misery mate..:spin:

Tom & Sharon
15-09-2011, 08:37
Time for me to stick my head in..........Im a British Butcher.
Yes I could open a shop in Tenerife BUT it would not be a good representation of a "British" butchers.
The main reason is the meat......I work with free range meat raised on our farm and this is fantastic quality meat.
The meat you guys have is very good but its not the same.(cattle breeds are not great)
By the way its British Sausage week.......Got 2 sausage's in a contest this week........Fingers crossed for gold award.

So, where in Tenerife would you buy your meat from, if you really won't open one here! :(:(

I just can't seem to find one place where I can go once a week, and buy all the meat I want. It's a bit here, and a bit there. The pork chops are good as long as you get them cut properly, but what those little thin things they have in Mercadona are all about, God knows! If I want a decent steak, we tend to go out to El Cordereo at Guargacho, as the T Bones are to die for. I have never found a steak I can buy in a shop of anywhere near the quality.

My neighbour asked me where to buy a Sunday joint from, and I couldn't think of anywhere!

I'm not sure about the meat being imported from South America either, because believe me, the meat there is absolutely fabulous. Not at all like you see here. Unless they send all the scrag end to Tenerife!

I'm sure a British butcher could do more with the raw product than is offered.

Good luck with the sausages. You could sell tons of those in Tenerife.

And for anybody else who mentions "Little England blah, blah" that's NOT the point. The point is that someone could possibly open a successful business for once!

Is Pete the Meat at Euromeat in Orotiendo Bajo not an English Butcher ???

I went there ONCE Andy, as someone had mentioned it.

OMG, I felt ill. It's like a dog food factory!

sunspot
15-09-2011, 08:46
The Butchers next door to Hemmingways,opposite the Acqu Park sell really good meat,i have seen Hind quarters delivered there so its a proper Butchers and not too expensive
either

obs
15-09-2011, 10:28
There is a cracking butcher in La Camella, on the right coming up from Chayofa, just before the first roundabout, more or less opposite the Chinese restaurant.
Got some beautiful meat from there, pork chops like cricket bats!! - with crackling to die for! :yum:

michele
15-09-2011, 10:46
:tiphat:morning all...id swap you all the british meat ..for your sun ..:wave:

cainaries
15-09-2011, 12:50
The Pasta y Bellota here on La Palma is EXCELLENT so if there is one on Tenerife I would imagine it also would be very good. They have frozen New Zealand lamb which is very good and also meat from Argentina. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they will cut things how you like (well, provided it won't mess up a whole side of beef for 1 customer). We've seen game in there, too. They sometimes have geese, and guinea fowl and other exotic delights .. oh and venison.

Anyone hungry yet?

dede
15-09-2011, 13:21
Sharon the butchers in los abrigos is very good and if you dont see what you want you only have to ask as he has it in the back, i get steak from there as i dont like any fat so he cuts it all off and then minces if for me, he may be a little expensive but well worth the extra, i get a big joint of beef there for sunday lunch and ive never been disappointed, im talking about the one down the side of the caja canaires bank on the left hand side. hes also open on a sunday morning.

princessmonika
15-09-2011, 13:25
yes i like bananas , but here now 3 weeks ,not had a good banana, so i have giving up bananas for a while:cry:

karinagal
15-09-2011, 15:20
yes i like bananas , but here now 3 weeks ,not had a good banana, so i have giving up bananas for a while:cry:

Monika sweetheart - you made me smile again!!!! Only you would put a comment about bananas on a thread about butcher meat!!! Have you been smoking 'herbal' cigarettes today?!!

:D :p :D

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.024957,-16.615297

casabonny
15-09-2011, 15:21
I get my meat from Makro and have never had any bad meat.I buy heart of Rump for roasting and cutting into cubes for pies and casseroles etc and Solomillo of res and cerdo both excellent for tenderness and flavour.
I have used Pasto and Bellota but find the staff sullen and not attentive .There used to be a butchers behind the Supermarket Carolina in Los Cris which was good and not sure if thats still there.
The Canarians tend to use Entrecot for roasting which when cooked slowly is nice.

MaxineC
15-09-2011, 15:43

So, where in Tenerife would you buy your meat from, if you really won't open one here! :(:(

I just can't seem to find one place where I can go once a week, and buy all the meat I want. It's a bit here, and a bit there. The pork chops are good as long as you get them cut properly, but what those little thin things they have in Mercadona are all about, God knows! If I want a decent steak, we tend to go out to El Cordereo at Guargacho, as the T Bones are to die for. I have never found a steak I can buy in a shop of anywhere near the quality.

My neighbour asked me where to buy a Sunday joint from, and I couldn't think of anywhere!

I'm not sure about the meat being imported from South America either, because believe me, the meat there is absolutely fabulous. Not at all like you see here. Unless they send all the scrag end to Tenerife!

I'm sure a British butcher could do more with the raw product than is offered.

Good luck with the sausages. You could sell tons of those in Tenerife.

And for anybody else who mentions "Little England blah, blah" that's NOT the point. The point is that someone could possibly open a successful business for once!

I went there ONCE Andy, as someone had mentioned it.

OMG, I felt ill. It's like a dog food factory!

I have re-read your thread, and I stick by my original response... and judging by all the thanks under it, many others are of the same view...

There are good butchers here, but you don't seem to have gone much further than your local Mercadona or Hiper Dino... I know the butcher in the HD in Adeje will happily cut the meat in the way you want, if it isn't on display. Have you tried asking?

There's been a few good suggestions on here, there is also another excellent butcher in Parque del la Reina... You're going to need to go a little out of your way to find what you're looking for, but if it's that important to you, it has to be worth it. I also have an Argentinian friend (known for their excellent meat) who when she wants something special, and cut in the Argentinian way, will call the guy in Guargacho a day or two before, tell him what she wants and how she wants it cut, and it's ready for her on her chosen day... I had the best joint of beef I've tasted in many years from there, including a 'high class' butcher in the UK!!

An English butchers has also been pointed out, yet you say it made you feel ill... Though I've never used them myself, I have heard others speak very highly of it. So, an English butchers setting up here isn't a guarantee of success, what suits one doesn't necessarily suit another...

Step outside the box and I think you maybe surprised at what you will find... However, you certainly won't find it on your doorstep or in Mercadona! ;)

BTW to whoever mentioned the shop in San Eugenio... Is he still there? I thought he'd closed that shop ???

9PLUS
15-09-2011, 16:43

Oh Yeah dear!!

Tom & Sharon
15-09-2011, 17:35
I give up!

I've changed my mind.

I think the British should stick to opening bars!

princessmonika
15-09-2011, 17:58
hi karina goforgold talked about bananas ,thats why i said it only on wine what are u doing now

Ed3229
15-09-2011, 18:13
If any of the forum Tenerife estate agents know of a small unit with walk in fridge and freezer to rent PM me. I will have a day to view when im over after 27th Sept....

Tom & Sharon
15-09-2011, 18:38
If any of the forum Tenerife estate agents know of a small unit with walk in fridge and freezer to rent PM me. I will have a day to view when im over after 27th Sept....

Are you serious? I hope so........................

Ed3229
15-09-2011, 18:44
Are you serious? I hope so........................

Just doing some research on an idea I have don't get too excited.........:whistle:

Tom & Sharon
15-09-2011, 18:50
Just doing some research on an idea I have don't get too excited.........:whistle:

OK I won't!

marbro8
15-09-2011, 18:54
Just doing some research on an idea I have don't get too excited.........:whistle:bloody ell ed you do realise sharon will want a commission for suggesting it;)

Oh Yeah dear!!lol reminds me of an episode off porridge a few years ago:D

Added after 3 minutes:

Oh Yeah dear!!lol reminds me of an episode off porridge a few years ago:D the random bannanas tcomment i mean

primrose
15-09-2011, 19:06

I will be your first customer.:yum:

Tom & Sharon
15-09-2011, 20:24
I will be your first customer.:yum:

And I'll be the next!

Vortex Wake
15-09-2011, 20:29
He is opening a morgue

cainaries
15-09-2011, 23:56
I get my meat from Makro and have never had any bad meat.I buy heart of Rump for roasting and cutting into cubes for pies and casseroles etc and Solomillo of res and cerdo both excellent for tenderness and flavour.
I have used Pasto and Bellota but find the staff sullen and not attentive .There used to be a butchers behind the Supermarket Carolina in Los Cris which was good and not sure if thats still there.
The Canarians tend to use Entrecot for roasting which when cooked slowly is nice.

Amazing how staff can make or break a shop. The meat must be sourced from the same places but one Pasta y Bellota is good with delightful, helpful staff and then yours has sullen mean people which kind of makes the meat mean and sullen as well.

sunspot
16-09-2011, 00:12
I have never had a problem with the spanish Butchers or Supermarkets, why would we want an English one? i got some really lovely fillets,pork loins and fresh Chicken from Hyperdino in Adeje for a bbq and my friends who are over from the uk said they were the best they had ever had and i had to agree,delicious

Ed3229
16-09-2011, 07:17
He is opening a morgue

Or am I opening a Penguin sanctuary ??????????????

doreen
16-09-2011, 12:19

Hi Ed - if you do get to view, make sure you chat to one of us business owners on here to explain the process of applying for an Opening Licence for any business ... quite an eye opener and a lot of costs you might not expect need to be budgeted for.

Good luck in the sausage competition :)

cainaries
16-09-2011, 13:04
Or may be Ed should talk to an existing butcher about supplying some produce? Our lovely Pasta Y Bellota in La Palma buys produce from all over the place!

Angusjim
16-09-2011, 14:24
So to summarise this thread most women are happy with the meat they are receiving in Tenerife but a few are looking for meat from another source, I assume thats where Ed thinks he can help:whistle::wink2:

tonypub
16-09-2011, 14:26
So to summarise this thread most women are happy with the meat they are receiving in Tenerife but a few are looking for meat from another source, I assume thats where Ed thinks he can help:whistle::wink2:think there after eds sausage

kingbaker
16-09-2011, 14:45
Or am I opening a Penguin sanctuary ??????????????

I think it's a nursing home for the bewildered...............patients already in situ.......only need the beds :wave: :wave: :wave:

Added after 8 minutes:

So to summarise this thread most women are happy with the meat they are receiving in Tenerife but a few are looking for meat from another source, I assume thats where Ed thinks he can help:whistle::wink2:

No A J you got it wrong---------most women are happy with the meat that they are getting but some of the men are not happy with the butcher who's giving it to them

mmmm wonder why's that? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Sundowner
16-09-2011, 15:25
Finding a nice piece of beef........can be a right cow :)

When is the next forum......meat up :)

Mrs Osbourne goes into a butchers and spies a beef tongue on the counter and asks what in the world is that?

"Beef tongue" replies the butcher!

Mrs Osbourne gives an involuntary shudder, " No way would I put anything in my mouth that came out of an animal's mouth!"

The butcher nod's sympathetically while peeking into her shopping basket " I see you are buying a dozen eggs!"

Goforgold
16-09-2011, 17:16
Finding a nice piece of beef........can be a right cow :)

When is the next forum......meat up :)

Mrs Osbourne goes into a butchers and spies a beef tongue on the counter and asks what in the world is that?

"Beef tongue" replies the butcher!

Mrs Osbourne gives an involuntary shudder, " No way would I put anything in my mouth that came out of an animal's mouth!"

The butcher nod's sympathetically while peeking into her shopping basket " I see you are buying a dozen eggs!"

My OH won't touch eggs ie boiled eggs, fried eggs etc. He says he won't eat anything that's come out of a chicken's bottom. :)

Ed3229
16-09-2011, 17:20
Hi Ed - if you do get to view, make sure you chat to one of us business owners on here to explain the process of applying for an Opening Licence for any business ... quite an eye opener and a lot of costs you might not expect need to be budgeted for.

Good luck in the sausage competition :)

Thanks Doreen will find some time to chat to the owners.........Got to wait till 5th October for the results but will be on the island.I will call work for the results and post them for you all to see.....

Goforgold
16-09-2011, 17:22

Suej suggested on another thread to try the small sweet ones - next time I'm over I'm going to give them a try. ;)

Added after 3 minutes:

Is that where the expression 'well hung' comes from ? :wow:

lesbroz
17-09-2011, 16:43
There is a wonderful meat shop in Sueno Azul run by a really friendly French Family. Highly recommend the roasting joints.

glassman
12-12-2015, 12:51
Any updates on British butchers
I hear there's one in Adeje but I'm not sure

lesbroz
12-12-2015, 17:47
There is one in Miraverde near to the college and also one in Adeje town.

r.bartlett
12-12-2015, 19:15
Any updates on British butchers
I hear there's one in Adeje but I'm not sure

http://www.britishsausageandburgercompany.com/

delderek
12-12-2015, 19:32
Proper butchers are getting rarer and rarer in the UK, so can't ever see one on the rock, as they can only work with what's available in the Spanish supply chain, which is nowhere near the quality of local fresh English meat.

marbro8
13-12-2015, 14:23
old forum member with cheese (kev)opened one up in Adeje with his son. he delivered some lovely sausages and bacon to our complex last year.:yum:

Ecky Thump
13-12-2015, 16:09
Suej suggested on another thread to try the small sweet ones - next time I'm over I'm going to give them a try. ;)

Added after 3 minutes:

Is that where the expression 'Well Hung' comes from ? :wow:

No that expression comes from marbro8 or so he claims!;)

What I really think when it comes to Marbro and the expression "well hung" is from his ancestors, who were "hung" for sheep stealing!:p

r.bartlett
13-12-2015, 17:57
http://www.britishsausageandburgercompany.com/

old forum member with cheese (kev)opened one up in Adeje with his son. he delivered some lovely sausages and bacon to our complex last year.:yum:

Indeed he did

essexeddie
13-12-2015, 23:08

Yup! we went up to the shop last year and bought some bangers and their burgers. very nice they were to.

Megaloo
14-12-2015, 00:11
Yup! we went up to the shop last year and bought some bangers and their burgers. very nice they were to.

I have meat and sausages delivered from Kevin and good quality products