PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Medical Services in Tenerife?

Johnnyrico
15-09-2011, 14:07
Hello,

Nice to meet everyone here. My name is Albert and I’m coming to Tenerife with my family (my kids, and senior parents – 7 persons) in Nov.
I’ll be staying for at least 5 months,

I’m looking for the best
1. Medical Clinic (daily clinic, we want to have a good family doctor)
2. Hospital in Tenerife
3. Dental Clinic..

Can you recommend me them. It’s really important.
Thanks in advance

Albert

casabonny
15-09-2011, 15:08
Hi and Welcom e to the forum.You need to give some more information before you get the right results!
Are you looking for private clinics or would you be relying on the social ?
If private then as a general GP the Policlinic in Los cristianos is excellent , Dr Roberto Restrepo is excellent and speaks good english.Hopsitals to avoid is the Green hospital Hospiten in Las Americas .
If you are coming here to live then you need to register with social doctors.
I am sure someone else will be along shortly to offer more advice.

stevem
15-09-2011, 15:26
I personally cannot recommend the health service in Tenerife enough.

My Mum has suffered with a lung problem for years, her doctor found what he thought was the cure. THAT VERY EVENING she was put into the University hospital in Santa Cruz for 15 days and treated. So far, touch wood she is 100% better than she has been for many years.

The staff were all good to her, ok the food was a little dodgy but the care was fantastic!!!

If you need details of the Health Service doctor, then I would be happy to get them for you. :)

kieraj
15-09-2011, 22:44
hi, hope you don't think I am being nosy but my Dad has been diagnosed with a lung problem, and he has been given no hope ! here in England, what was your Mums illness thanks Lynne

anto3
15-09-2011, 23:02
We had a elderly forum member who use to come to forum meeting. He is very sick and in the green hospital. He is on social. I visit him a lot and i have never seen anyone get such great care. There are 3 beds to a room and everything spotless. Would recommend social if you have to use it. Also the best denist i would recommend is beside the clinic in los cris and next door to costa rica cafe, They just do the nessary not just tell you anything to make money like some denist.Hope that helps

TIS
16-09-2011, 01:02
Hi and Welcom e to the forum.You need to give some more information before you get the right results!
Are you looking for private clinics or would you be relying on the social ?
If private then as a general GP the Policlinic in Los cristianos is excellent , Dr Roberto Restrepo is excellent and speaks good english.Hopsitals to avoid is the Green hospital Hospiten in Las Americas .
If you are coming here to live then you need to register with social doctors.
I am sure someone else will be along shortly to offer more advice.
1. Agree - Speafico is their name. They also take DKV (Private Health & Dental) - Dental plan itself only cost 67€ - PM us or see out web site for details.
2. Disagree - Nothing but best service for us and the many clients we know.

stevem
16-09-2011, 06:53
hi, hope you don't think I am being nosy but my Dad has been diagnosed with a lung problem, and he has been given no hope ! here in England, what was your Mums illness thanks Lynne

Hi Lynne, Firstly I'm deeply sorry about your Dad's diagnosis. Very very sad news! Can I just say that my post was more about the level of care she recieved from both her GP and the staff at the University hospital which was absolutely fantastic for a social care system. Even better than private in the UK in my opinion. And not about the problems she has had with her health. I would hate to raise hopes of any cures, it just worked for her we hope. Only time will tell I guess.

She has suffered with fluid/rubbish on the lungs for years. She would have to clear them twice a day and when she talked, always had a nagging cough.

It turns out it was a bacterial problem, but an unusual strain of bacteria and her GP found that it subsided with a certain antibiotic but as soon as the course ran out, it would get worse again. So they put her into hospital and pumped her full of the stuff on a drip for 15 days. She's now been out of hospital for 2 weeks and so far so good.

I don't know if this will help in any way but the very best of luck to you.

cressrt
16-09-2011, 08:41
Cannot agree that Speafico is good, earlier this year my wife was in a lot of pain, she was referred to have an ultrasound done and when we went back with the results they could not diagnose that she had a very large Gall stone, despite looking at the ultrasound picture! They kept wanting more tests done which were plainly unrelated and unnecessary, just money making in our opinion! She saw Karen Whittaker who right away said that there was a very large stone and would probably need the gall bladder removed. We we referred and went to the Green Hospital and had exemplary service from them, she has had no problems since the removal. We now use the Excellent Medical Centre in Golf del Sur for our Medical and dental needs and have been very satisfied with them. I have also just used the Green Hospital services to have a Cataract removed this Wednesday and again cannot praise their services enough, we were provided a translator even though we did not request one as we understand enough to get by at hospitals, but they did this to ensure we were 100% sure of the procedures and process.
For info we have Sanitas Medical Insurance and they have been very good at getting all the authorities agreed very quickly.