PDA

View Full Version : I was bitten by a jumping spider and reacted badly!

cath.wilson
16-09-2011, 17:30
Nearly 3 weeks ago I was bitten by a jumping spider. It came up as a little lump just under my left boob. It got bigger over the next couple of days and on the wednesday I went to the hospital as it was very painful and had spread. The doctor cut it open to drain. He said he had never seen an infection like it. It was huge. He put me on antibiotics and sent me home. On the saturday morning I went back to the hospital with a very high temperature. The got some of the poison out and sent me home again with different antibiotics. by the afternoon I felt really poorly and went back to the hospital. This time they kept me in for 4 nights. On the monday they cut me open again in another place. I came home a week last wednesday and have to go back to the hospital every day to have the wounds cleaned. It hads left me feeling very tired and weak.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THESE SPIDERS. Dont want anyone else going through what I have.

Tinkabel
16-09-2011, 17:35
That sounds awful and vey scary, i hope you're now on the road to recovery. Thanks for the warning.

Goforgold
16-09-2011, 17:38
Sorry to hear you've been so poorly with that nasty bite. Some people can have major problems with mosquito bites too.

Where do these jumping spiders hang out? So that I can be prepared.

caroletenerife
16-09-2011, 18:04
sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction. ive been bitten by spiders here but usually just come up in a red lump, blister over then go away. Does anyone have a picture of said beasties so we know when to run!!!!

cath.wilson
16-09-2011, 18:16
The spiders I have seen are very small and a creamy colour. They jump and are very fast. I dont like spiders at the best of times but I am petrified of them now.
They can be anywhere. I have had them in my house and have also seen them outside. Think I got bit when I was at work in a hotel. Because when I got dressed in the morning it wasnt there, later when I was in a hotel I went to the loo and that is when I felt the lump. Thought at first it was just a boil.

KirstyJay
16-09-2011, 18:45
I have been bitten by these spiders twice over the past year. Both times it swelled to the size of a grapefruit and was very painful. I now have the antibiotics and antihistamines in stock in my medical cabinet. I think your reaction was an extreme one, however they are nasty bites. Glad to hear you're finally on the mend though :)

caroletenerife
16-09-2011, 19:14
uuuww, not good, worst i have had is my thumb doubled in size, then again, i probably had enough vodka in me to bring down an army :D

Jackie
16-09-2011, 19:51
Cath these spider bites can have a really nasty effect and no one knows what their reaction is going to be unfortunately until they are bitten. Some people seem to suffer no ill effects other than a small red mark, others like yourself get the full force. My son got bitten on the thigh about 18 months ago and we thought it was a gnat bite at first but like yours over the course of a few days it got bigger and bigger in size. He went to our GP as after about 4 days he couldn't even put any weight on that leg due to the pain in his muscle. The doctor lanced it and I cannot even begin to describe the colour of the infection that poured out of it......(puke smiley;) ) It took a good couple of weeks of antibiotics and dressing changes before it finally started clearing up, he still has a scar which looks like a bullet hole on his thigh. Hope you feel better soon, take it easy and rest because I have seen first hand how these little spiders can knock people off their feet for a good many weeks.

KirstyJay
16-09-2011, 19:56
uuuww, not good, worst i have had is my thumb doubled in size, then again, i probably had enough vodka in me to bring down an army :DThat happened to MaxineC too :)

cath.wilson
16-09-2011, 20:08
Thanks for the message Jackie. Sounds like me and your son have the same reaction to the spiders. I agree with you, the liquid that came out was horrible. I am constantly looking around now for a spider. I am so scared of getting bitten again. It has been nearly 3 weeks now and still feel very weak. xxx

marbro8
16-09-2011, 20:16
that's done it !!!my wife has just seen this thread and wants to cancel our booked holidays for October and may now:D, i read an article the other day and it said the most poisonous spiders in the world (size for size)are actualy in the uk:dontknow:

cath.wilson
16-09-2011, 20:28
Sorry, didnt mean to upset or scare anyone. Just wanted to warm others.

caroletenerife
16-09-2011, 20:59
cath i understand why your nervous, i would be if i had been that ill. There must be an aerosol deterrent you could wear until the nerves subside.

henry
16-09-2011, 20:59
you know cath. i donīt know if this helps or not. but i do know if anyone gets a spider bite. you need colliad silver and charcole powder mix it together into a paste put the paste on your bite with a bandage. the colliad silver and charcole powder will draw the poision out during the night.. hope this helps

Bazz
16-09-2011, 21:35
Nearly 3 weeks ago I was bitten by a jumping spider. It came up as a little lump just under my left boob. It got bigger over the next couple of days and on the wednesday I went to the hospital as it was very painful and had spread. The doctor cut it open to drain. He said he had never seen an infection like it. It was huge. He put me on antibiotics and sent me home. On the saturday morning I went back to the hospital with a very high temperature. The got some of the poison out and sent me home again with different antibiotics. by the afternoon I felt really poorly and went back to the hospital. This time they kept me in for 4 nights. On the monday they cut me open again in another place. I came home a week last wednesday and have to go back to the hospital every day to have the wounds cleaned. It hads left me feeling very tired and weak.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THESE SPIDERS. Dont want anyone else going through what I have.

Sorry to hear about this, it sounds terrible.
I had a bad reaction once with mosquito bites, they were really swollen and I had to get antibiotics.
I've never seen these spiders in Tenerife - but I'll certainly be on the lookout next time I'm over, armed with a large aerosol!!!!! :( :twak:

cath.wilson
16-09-2011, 21:43
Thanks for that Henry. Any ideas where I can buy that stuff from?

henry
16-09-2011, 21:52
my guess whould be the farmaica??

in spanish it should be call

colliad silver --- plata de colliad

charcole powder ---- polvo de charcole

or maybe your local herb shop might be your best bet there

cainaries
16-09-2011, 22:52
These are definitely spiders are they and not those foul millipedey things? I've never seen one but now I'm going to be looking everywhere for them. Aaagh. The millipedes are very vicious and most poisonous thing here so I'm told.

warbey
17-09-2011, 19:15
Thanks for the warning Cath.
My O.H. becomes a target for anything that Bites.
I will know Treatment will probably be needed.
Our Immune Systems have a mind of their own I think....

Cairo
17-09-2011, 22:06
I've been bitten by these spiders a few time and nothing worse than a mozzie bite

Jackie
17-09-2011, 22:13
Like I said Cairo some people are not affected by them in the slightest while others suffer terrible symptoms. I have known one of my Canarian neighbours to be hospitalised for several days due to infection because of a bite from one of these little jumping spiders.

caroletenerife
18-09-2011, 03:32
Is this one of them
need to know what we are up against

Jackie
18-09-2011, 09:41
I have been trying to find a picture of one Carol but without any luck. I don't think it is the one in your picture as the jumping ones don't have that bulbous body. They are small, about the size of your little finger nail. I am going on the hunt again now...no not for spiders but for a picture :)

primrose
18-09-2011, 10:23
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drphotomoto/3430903133/

Jumping Spiders.

caroletenerife
18-09-2011, 10:34
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drphotomoto/3430903133/

Jumping Spiders.
i do hope this is a cousin of the tenerife jumper and not our resident oneeek2:

primrose
18-09-2011, 10:39
i do hope this is a cousin of the tenerife jumper and not our resident oneeek2:

Well I have seen loads like this, they used to live behind the spot lights on my ceiling,

timmylish
18-09-2011, 15:04
In 23 years here I,ve been bitten on 5 or 6 occassions. Each and every time I swell up like the poster did whereas Mrs. T. gets bitten and suffers nothing!!!!

atlantico
18-09-2011, 17:02
was told the little jumping/biting ones are tiny, black with a white spot on its back. I've seen several different types with similar descriptions but still don't know which is the biting one.

Jackie
18-09-2011, 19:10
This is what the ones that I have seen look like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salticus

Tom
18-09-2011, 21:00
Salticus canariensis (http://salticidae.org/salticid/diagnost/salticus/can-hol-ph.htm)

I think theses are the local variety .

Jackie
18-09-2011, 21:06
The ones that I have seen seem to be brown with the creamy markings so I don't know if the males and females are different colours

caroletenerife
19-09-2011, 04:12
Salticus canariensis (http://salticidae.org/salticid/diagnost/salticus/can-hol-ph.htm)

I think theses are the local variety .
They are gross, dont know if it was that that bit me, if i had seen it i think i would have remembered something that attractively challened