PDA

View Full Version : Internet Is Skype available on an internet dongle in Tenerife?

Nic
17-09-2011, 09:08
My husband went back to Ireland for a quick visit last week and bought a Vodafone dongle so that he could use Skype to keep in touch with us (he took a netbook with him). He could connect to the internet but couldn't use Skype. Apparently, Vodafone in Ireland don't allow Skype to be used on their dongles because they want you to pay for calls. i just wondered if anyone used a dongle here and if they could use Skype with it.

caroletenerife
17-09-2011, 09:42
Hi Nic
I have a movistar dongle and skype all the time, always use the video facility to speak to me daughter and friends in Scotland, occasionally the picture jumps, but just disconnect and the reconnect. Hope this helps. Sounds like vodaphone is being greedy x

i pay 40 a month, but i think there are special deals for new customers x

Vortex Wake
17-09-2011, 09:52
To use Skype via mobile broadband does/can incur an additional tariff.

My mobile does not allow full Skype calling - to do so requires an additional monthly charge.

Best check your small print on dangle usage.

Tenerife Villas
17-09-2011, 10:53
I use a direct telecom unlimited dongle and have broght a 3g mobile router from the uk as none of the tenerife wireless routers do not work and now in my place the dongle gives access to 3 lap tops and 2 iphones and skype runs perfectly. as or the oridginal poster the voda phone sim will still resrict skype even if roaming in another country but you can get international sims online the only problem is your vodaphone dongle may have to be unlocked using a firmware unlocking program tool that you can find free on the net.

cressrt
17-09-2011, 13:36
We used to have a contract Vodafone dongle here and skpye and any other form of VOIP is not allowed. We used Skype once to see what would happened and quickly received a text to remind us that it was not permitted!

Susief
17-09-2011, 13:52
My hubby has been using our Vodafone PAYG dongle with the video Skype, took a little messing to connect but was on for about 30 mins a couple of nights ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cairo
17-09-2011, 22:23
I have iPhone and on Vodafone contract, downloade app for Skype and was using it within minutes :)

A.P.&.S.S
18-09-2011, 10:55
My husband went back to Ireland for a quick visit last week and bought a Vodafone dongle so that he could use Skype to keep in touch with us (he took a netbook with him). He could connect to the internet but couldn't use Skype. Apparently, Vodafone in Ireland don't allow Skype to be used on their dongles because they want you to pay for calls. i just wondered if anyone used a dongle here and if they could use Skype with it.

Hi Nic

I use a Vodafone Dongle here in Palm Mar, I have it on contract and when I signed up I got a free WIFI hub which allows us to conect upto 5 pc's at any one time around the house. We only have 2 and they both work great, Skype is no problems but my PC is a bit older than our laptop and it sometimes is not as good but thats the PC ad not the Dongle. Sometimes as been said before the signal can drop a little and the pic can be bad, either switch to voice only or reconnect and it should be ok.

irenec50
26-09-2011, 08:56
We just got an orange dongle - 19 euros per month; 24/7, not the fastest.

Got it sorted from the Orange authorised dealership behind Safari Shopping Centre in Las Americas where they speak good English. So far no problems with using Skype.

Brian Lewis
25-10-2011, 07:59
We just got an orange dongle - 19 euros per month; 24/7, not the fastest.

Got it sorted from the Orange authorised dealership behind Safari Shopping Centre in Las Americas where they speak good English. So far no problems with using Skype.

Is the 19 Euro deal 1GB or 5GB

poshbird22
25-10-2011, 11:08
Hi, We have a Vodafone dongle which I bought here and we skype to England.

Brian Lewis
25-10-2011, 12:14
Hi, We have a Vodafone dongle which I bought here and we skype to England.

What contract are you on (GB per month)