PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Long term stay in Tenerife

ajaxon
18-09-2011, 14:27
Hi Folks, I have read through some interesting posts but would appreciate your comments on this topic. I am 58 and have just been made redundant and taken the option of retirement with it. I currently rent an apartment in England and have decided to give this up and take a long term rental for between 8 - 12 months in Tenerife. I believe that I can afford up to 450.00E monthly rental though the less I pay the more I have to spend. Having looked around various property websites and some local papers brought back by a friend I have a dilemma as to where to stay. My idea is to sample the local life and customs, get some sun, do some swimming and walking to improve my health having sat behind a desk for the past 8 years! I intend to spend some of my day sitting in street cafes watching the world go by, reading and ultimately trying to converse with the locals. I do not speak a word of Spanish but will attempt to learn. I know that I can survive in the south of the island as there is a large english speaking community and supermarkets etc but I am tempted by the north of the island particularly Puerto de La Cruz. The question is can I survive there not being able to speak Spanish, are there reasonably priced places where I can shop and eat. Puerto de La Cruz seems to have a lot more festivals than the south but I may be wrong. Any advice gratefully accepted. :tiphat:

CIM
18-09-2011, 16:50
Have a look at places like Los Abrigos and Las Galletas. they are both coastal, cheap to rent decent apartments and the bars and restaurants are all "local prices" whilst there is still a smattering of tourists. You´ll pick up what you need of Spanish in these areas and there are good transport links from them both. You should be able to pick up a one bedroom apartment for well under 400€ per month with bills included.

Also check if there is anything in the Golf del Sur, occasionally something will be up for a low price. Try Aguamarina apartments and Las Adelfas, I have seen some on there for sometimes for as low as 370€ - nice complex, good location, everyone speaks English in the Golf as well. Bus link to everywhere, plenty to do....

Heres an apartment in the golf for 375€:
Las Adelfas apartment for rent (http://www.losabrigosproperties.com/details.php?&hiddencurrency=EUR&showcat=1&showcity=1&docat=3&username=losabrigosproperties&trans=2&lmflag=true&clang=2&sortby=3&propid=35348)

Another in Los Abrigos for 300€
Los Abrigos apartment for rent (http://www.losabrigosproperties.com/details.php?&hiddencurrency=EUR&showcat=1&showcity=1&docat=3&username=losabrigosproperties&trans=2&lmflag=true&clang=2&sortby=3&propid=34381)

And one in Las Galletas for 350€ ( a two bed.)
Apartment for rent in Las Galletas (http://www.viviendas-canarias.net/FichaAmpliada.asp?Inmobiliaria=3060&IdPiso=91385462.306&Idioma=IN&Final=0)

ajaxon
18-09-2011, 20:45
Thank you for the info. I wondered if there is a 'cultural' life in the south reading the websites it would appear that there is more happening in the north. For instance is there much in the way of entertainment of an evening such as local Spanish or folk, blues etc. I was in Cuba last year and a lot of the bars had local bands of various descriptions. Do they have cinema, theatre etc. I want to get as much out of this visit as I can.

marbro8
18-09-2011, 21:02
Thank you for the info. I wondered if there is a 'cultural' life in the south reading the websites it would appear that there is more happening in the north. For instance is there much in the way of entertainment of an evening such as local Spanish or folk, blues etc. I was in Cuba last year and a lot of the bars had local bands of various descriptions. Do they have cinema, theatre etc. I want to get as much out of this visit as I can.you don't think kareoke is cultural?:wink2::D, and the only blue's i have experienced is having to go home:(: