PDA

View Full Version : Photography Masca and surrounding area

Tom
19-09-2011, 10:46
Photos of Masca and surrounding area taken in August.

Click the photo to see the full set.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6160578592_3a72fee3a5_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_laws/6160578592/)
Masca-14 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_laws/6160578592/) by tomlaws (http://www.flickr.com/people/tom_laws/), on Flickr

More photos in the set. LINK (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_laws/sets/72157627574840149/)

Malteser Monkey
19-09-2011, 10:55
Wonderful

thank you

Tom
19-09-2011, 11:08
Wonderful

thank you

Looking at the road would you drive to it ?
It's the same road that coaches use!

Malteser Monkey
19-09-2011, 11:12
No never went there but I have driven on some pretty dodgey ones over there up in mountains - mind you I didn't fear heights then like I do now.

There are some pretty scary ones in Gomera too - seemed the higher you got the worse the roads were, oooo makes me shiver now.

Pooh
19-09-2011, 11:25
Road looks fine to me... it's even paved.
Haven't been to Masca yet, but we'll go, eventually.

Malteser Monkey
19-09-2011, 11:28

You must report back when you have been please - with more pics

Tom
19-09-2011, 11:32

The road and surface is fine it's what's on it at the time that matters.

Watch this video - you will never go on an excursion again !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-nkUnAcZtA&feature=related

dede
19-09-2011, 11:52

I wonder did they get back on !! OMG !!! I know for sure i wouldnt of got back on it.

Malteser Monkey
19-09-2011, 11:55

Ahhhh I can't watch it - as he starts reversing I jumped back ! - will try later

dede
19-09-2011, 12:00
Ahhhh I can't watch it - as he starts reversing I jumped back ! - will try later

Yes i was nervous viewing it... i know i could never go to masca as im a nervous passenger and wouldn't even like to drive there myself so masca is a no no for me no matter how nice it looks.

Tom
19-09-2011, 12:01
I wonder did they get back on !! OMG !!! I know for sure i wouldnt of got back on it.

Funny how at first they are all laughing and joking about it till about the second bend in !
From memory and what i can see they still had a way to go before the village and they would have to do the same on the way out !!

Added after 8 minutes:

Yes i was nervous viewing it... i know i could never go to masca as im a nervous passenger and wouldn't even like to drive there myself so masca is a no no for me no matter how nice it looks.

Go very early morning it will be a lot quieter before the coaches start.

Suej
19-09-2011, 13:13
Hated the drive there! and I´m not easily frightened! OH did the driving and when you see a coach coming towards you on the same narrow bend it´s pretty scarey, we came the long way back!:wow:

Added after 8 minutes:

Dede I´m with you the area is nice to see it but after watching that video - never again!:crazy:

imablue
19-09-2011, 14:36
i took my brother and his wife..(their first time to Tenerife) to Masca on Friday, they loved it...they,d never experienced anything like it before....
after about 5 stops we headed towards Los Portelas and on to Teno with the sheer cliffs at the far end of Buenavista del Norte.....
from there to Garachico ,then onto Puerta de la Cruz.....
finally we took the road upto El Teide....
all in all they thoroughly enjoyed the day out ....
piccies to follow i,m sure .....

Tom
19-09-2011, 15:30
i took my brother and his wife..(their first time to Tenerife) to Masca on Friday, they loved it...they,d never experienced anything like it before....
after about 5 stops we headed towards Los Portelas and on to Teno with the sheer cliffs at the far end of Buenavista del Norte.....
from there to Garachico ,then onto Puerta de la Cruz.....
finally we took the road upto El Teide....all in all they thoroughly enjoyed the day out ....
piccies to follow i,m sure .....

Virtually the route we took that day but we didn't go into Puerta de la Cruz.
We came over Teide late tea time and had the place neigh on to ourselves.

imablue
19-09-2011, 15:54
we were around the same time probably more to 7 o,clock...the place was virtually empty....
did you get flagged down by the scammer fella just above Chirche asking for €3 cos he,d ran out of petrol...?
he said he could roll down to Chio.... i said ok get in your car we,ll give you a push to get you rolling .....;):)

Tom
19-09-2011, 16:09
we were around the same time probably more to 7 o,clock...the place was virtually empty....
did you get flagged down by the scammer fella just above Chirche asking for €3 cos he,d ran out of petrol...?
he said he could roll down to Chio.... i said ok get in your car we,ll give you a push to get you rolling .....;):)

I would be too busy looking out of the window at the scenery to notice him , but we did hit a big bump around that area.

imablue
19-09-2011, 16:31
i reckon it was the same fella i saw years ago...i recognised the pullover he had on...all his breakfast was down his front ...the same as last time ....egg....:D

Tom
19-09-2011, 16:37
i reckon it was the same fella i saw years ago...i recognised the pullover he had on...all his breakfast was down his front ...the same as last time ....egg....:D

Maybe he works in a B&B as a cook and was on his way home.

tenerife_photo
19-09-2011, 20:12
still not got any decent shots of masca myself.. gotta make a note of that place..

Tom
19-09-2011, 20:23
still not got any decent shots of masca myself.. gotta make a note of that place..

We only had a "drive through " this time and didn't stop in the village,the valley runs west to the sea with high cliffs to the east so quite challenging to get good light.

Goforgold
19-09-2011, 20:41
Thanks for the fantastic photos Tom.

Masca was on our itinerary when we're over in October, but after having seen the video I'm not going to bother.

As you say, the roads are great - just the idiots on them. Ah well, I've seen the photos, that will do. :)

Tom
19-09-2011, 20:46
Thanks for the fantastic photos Tom.

Masca was on our itinerary when we're over in October, but after having seen the video I'm not going to bother.

As you say, the roads are great - just the idiots on them. Ah well, I've seen the photos, that will do. :)

Please don't skip it , drive canny and sound your horn at the corners and all should be well . It would be a shame to miss it.

Goforgold
19-09-2011, 21:00
Please don't skip it , drive canny and sound your horn at the corners and all should be well . It would be a shame to miss it.

Unfortunately I know it's not for me after seeing that coach. When I was a teenager and dad drove around all those hairpin bends in The Alps I just loved it, the scarier the better, even went up to the top of The Eiffel Tower and stuck my head over the edge - not anymore :(. I thought I would be able to manage Masca, but I'm not going to put myself through it now.

canarybird
19-09-2011, 21:04
I drove it once - meaning I was driving - and that was years ago when it wasn't all paved, just loose gravel on hairpin turns with no barriers.:wow:

Scared myself so much I've never been back, although I'm dying to go there one day with a good camera.

Canarybird

Tom
19-09-2011, 21:12
I drove it once - meaning I was driving - and that was years ago when it wasn't all paved, just loose gravel on hairpin turns with no barriers.:wow:

Scared myself so much I've never been back, although I'm dying to go there one day with a good camera.

Canarybird

There still is no armco type barriers,just concrete blocks along the road at door cill height .f

lesbroz
19-09-2011, 22:16

Canarybird

I also drove this road many years ago. To this day it is still the scariest thing I have ever done. Still not keen despite the barriers.

jackanory
20-09-2011, 16:06
Went there in a Hire car in Nov 2010- First day out with the car from los Cris-went up Teide then P D L Cruz. Big Mistake 1- took wrong turning at Icod on way back. Big Mistake 2-decided to carry on to video the mountains.Half way thru -
Big Mistake 3 -decided to carry on "It cant get any worse" IT DID.
Conclusion -wife and I quarrelled all the way back -both ended up nervious wrecks with no video " too terrified to film.- It almost spoiled the Holiday - Never again ADVICE -Think twice before going especially after seeing the coach video.
Thanks to Tom for the photos.

Tom
20-09-2011, 16:10
Went there in a Hire car in Nov 2010- First day out with the car from los Cris-went up Teide then P D L Cruz. Big Mistake 1- took wrong turning at Icod on way back. Big Mistake 2-decided to carry on to video the mountains.Half way thru -
Conclusion -wife and I quarrelled all the way back -both ended up nervious wrecks with no video " too terrified to film.- It almost spoiled the Holiday - Never again ADVICE -Think twice before going especially after seeing the coach video.

Must admit by the time i had drove to Masca and then back over Teide i was glad of a stretch of road that was more than 500yrds long that didn't have have a 180 degree bend in it!

Goforgold
20-09-2011, 18:46

You have made me laugh :)

I was thinking of getting there for about 8.00am and then driving on to Garachico, before anyone else gets going, after reading this post, now I'm not so sure.

Tom
20-09-2011, 18:51
You have made me laugh :)

I was thinking of getting there for about 8.00am and then driving on to Garachico, before anyone else gets going, after reading this post, now I'm not so sure.

Take your time and drive canny and you will be ok. Don't jib out now,it's not as bad as the coach video, for a start you are in a car which can easily pass another on the road.
I think once you get on the road you will take it in your stride.

imablue
20-09-2011, 19:04
just drive sensibly..foot covering the brake ,in a low gear,keep checking the road well ahead when you can see it for oncoming traffic and make allowances for the "other idiot" .....
there,s plenty of stopping places..make use of them...
in my opinion its too good a trip.. not to see .......

Tom
20-09-2011, 19:08
just drive sensibly..foot covering the brake ,in a low gear,keep checking the road well ahead when you can see it for oncoming traffic and make allowances for the "other idiot" .....
there,s plenty of stopping places..make use of them...
in my opinion its too good a trip.. not to see .......

Seconded - to much to miss

Goforgold
20-09-2011, 19:08
Looks like the trip is back on then!! :D We would go very early in the morning though - just to be sure. eek2:

Tom
20-09-2011, 19:11
Looks like the trip is back on then!! :D We would go very early in the morning though - just to be sure. eek2:

To be honest i think that would be the best time of day in may ways - the light on the cliffs would be spectacular compared to the flat light at noon when we rolled through.

imablue
20-09-2011, 22:08
don,t be going too early..let the sun get up and burn the cloud off..otherwise you,ll be in mist.. we passed through Friday about 1.30pm and there wasn,t much traffic at all ......
and no mist or cloud to be seen... 360º.....;)

Megaloo
21-09-2011, 09:16

Go for it gfg you will enjoy it. Been twice once on a coach trip and once in car but I was not driving??

Sundowner
21-09-2011, 09:29

Canarybird

I have also driven it before it was upgraded, quite a drive, but fun :) And have driven it a few times since the upgrade and always thought it was safer in the old days as you did not have as much traffic!

Goforgold
21-09-2011, 18:22
Go for it gfg you will enjoy it. Been twice once on a coach trip and once in car but I was not driving??

We will go for it, but after reading Imablue's comments, it looks like it will have to be a bit later than 8.00am!! It should be quieter when we're over as presumably that Uni coach would have been in the main holidays.

Well, if you don't hear from me again, I will come back and haunt you lot for talking me into it!!! ;)

warbey
21-09-2011, 20:03
[/B]

Well, if you don't hear from me again, I will come back and haunt you lot for talking me into it!!! ;)

So You are converted then..?.....lol...:jumping:

DeedeeTipperary
21-09-2011, 20:26
I am a wuss when it comes to heights . For the first 5 days of my holiday on the 9th floor of a hotel in Puerto Rico I would not step out on to the balcony eek2: But we took a jeep safari this july , Teide - Masca , granted there were times when I had my eyes shut , but it was the experience of a lifetime and I would not have missed it for anything . The beauty of the mountains and villages were breath-taking , please dont pass up this trip you will have the memories of it for ever .
Thank you so much for posting those amazing pictures it brought it all back to me :thanx:

Goforgold
21-09-2011, 20:28
So You are converted then..?.....lol...:jumping:

Looks like it Warbs, although we were going down the lane today and a car was a little over to our side and I sort of 'eeeked' and OH said , "Well you'll be great in Masca" and then reminded me how I thought I was going to die just going up the Long Mynd!! :(

tonypub
03-04-2012, 23:03
on my return to the uk i got speakin to some newly weds at the airport(mid twentys couple).i was askin them what they thought of our rock,all comments were good but MASCA they said,was the most amazing place they have ever been in the world:c2: