PDA

View Full Version : A question about the UK Registry Office

walkerj3
20-09-2011, 14:43
Sorry if there are any other previous posts...

We are going back to the UK to put in our 'notice' in the registry office and one of the stipulations is you must have been in the country for the previous 7 days before your appointment. Has anyone had any experience of this, do they really check or is it just something you have to sign for?

I believe the same is a requirement for the ceremony date, what is the worst that can happen if I lie? The marriage is annulled?

TOTO 99
20-09-2011, 15:25
Sorry if there are any other previous posts...

We are going back to the UK to put in our 'notice' in the registry office and one of the stipulations is you must have been in the country for the previous 7 days before your appointment. Has anyone had any experience of this, do they really check or is it just something you have to sign for?

I believe the same is a requirement for the ceremony date, what is the worst that can happen if I lie? The marriage is annulled?

How can you lie? Don't you have to make the appointment in person? In which case you'll get one a week later surely?

walkerj3
20-09-2011, 15:42
No, you can make the appointment by phone or email, I have done it by email but it says this on the email confirmation;

"You must have been continuously resident in a registration district in England or Wales for a minimum of 7 clear days immediately prior to giving notice."

dede
20-09-2011, 15:42
Yes you will have to be there in person's one week before and sign papers. If you go to Gibraltar its only 24 hours and then you can get married.

walkerj3
20-09-2011, 16:00
No, this is only an appointment to give notice. I have the appointment but the question they ask you when you sign the notice papers is, have you been in the country for the last 7 days. How can they check this?

TOTO 99
20-09-2011, 16:32
They could of course check with customs but it seems very unlikely. I personally would risk it but many wouldn't. By the way, it's not good good starting married life with a lie...you're supposed to give it a couple of years before that starts..:laugh:

garlicbread
20-09-2011, 16:34
The UK Government website reads as follows:

You both need to have lived in the area in which you wish to give notice for at least seven full days, immediately before giving notice.

For example, if you arrive on Tuesday 1 March, the seven day period starts the following day, Wednesday 2 March, and is complete on Tuesday 8 March. You can then give notice on Wednesday 9 March.

This applies to all including those travelling from overseas for a marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales.

Seems clear enough to me and the law is the law, if you want to break it, then the risk is yours.

walkerj3
20-09-2011, 16:42
I break it every day I am sure in one way or another. I just wondered if anyone had experience of this. I think it is worth the risk.

Ecky Thump
20-09-2011, 16:46
We are going back to the UK to put in our 'notice' in the registry office and one of the

There are lots of married folk that wish this had happened.:cheeky:

Lavazzaexpress
20-09-2011, 18:53
hey walker i gave my notice a few months ago its nothing to worry about and they didnt check anything with us although we were in the uk seven days prior to the appointment, the magistrate told us that the point of the meeting is to ensure it is a genuine marriage, if you have recent bank statements to your given uk address then that should be ok, in our case because me and my fiance are from different parts of the uk my future mother in law just wrote a brief letter stating that i had lived at her address for the previous seven days as strictly speaking you should have the meeting with your local magistrate according to your given address, but really we found the meeting very informal and worried about it alot more than it was actually worth.