PDA

View Full Version : 11th day and not one puff lol

ali marshall
22-09-2011, 11:56
I am feeling pretty proud of myself i have so far managed 11 days non smoking.Smoked for 15 years,20 day habit and one day i thought enough is enough.I loved smoking,but the habit controlled my daily routine.

My excuse to sit for a hour was,oh time for a quick cig.Its not been easy having one screaming 3 years old,2 twins at kevin and perry age,arguing and fighting between themself,my partner also smokes,ive managed to kick him onto the balcony but of course i can smell it on him.Even last weekend after a meal he lite up if front of me grrrr.

A friend recommended freezing grapes and grabbing one of them everytime i wanted a cig,and as im eaten so much more there not too fattening.There has been about 20 occasions i could of lite up or felt like i could murder someone,but just kept myself busy and tried to forget about the urge to smoke.

Of course still early days but feel so much better already in myself,been painting all week,apartment is spotless,noticed when i walk up the hill im not out of breath so much and eww i hate the smell of it now,so the washing machine been on the go ,cleaning curtains and sofa throws.Also i have put the 3euro away each day which i would of spent on smoking,worked out by end of year i have saved enough to book an apartment for 2 weeks for a holiday.

How has everyone else found it when they have given up????and usefull tips?how was your mood?i have been bit of a dragon this week lol.I had to be in the right mind to give up defaintly but i think how stressfull my life is and if i can do it anyone can,i just used the stress as an excuse in the past not to give up .

garlicbread
22-09-2011, 12:09
There's a book you can buy that will DEFINITELY help, it's called The Easy Way to stop smoking by Alan Carr, costs less than a carton of cheap fags and worth every penny. I was a 60 per day smoker and stopped within an hour of reading the book and haven't looked back since. I'm sure you can get it from Amazon in a few days. Good luck

anegib
22-09-2011, 12:12
I would so like to follow your example.

dede
22-09-2011, 12:29
Well done you ..... I always like to hear of people kicking the habit, My hubby did it two and a half years ago now and is so much better for it healthwise. I did it nearly 30 years ago now but i can still remember how hard it was, so 11 days is very good before you know it you will be saying 11 months then 11 years. so keep it up xx

dokgolf
22-09-2011, 13:15
I found that once I got to the 3 week mark, the urges began to decline. Had to give up beer as well for a time as I couldn't handle a pint without a cigarette. Keep up the effort, its all worthwhile in the end.:goodluck:

lesbroz
22-09-2011, 13:20
Sugar Free Chewing Gum was my saving grace. Having stopped for 8 months, the smoking ban landed. Very timely, as being in a pub always made me want a cigarette. Can't stand the smell of them anymore.

Good Luck, it will get easier.

cainaries
22-09-2011, 13:32
I found the worst problem was that I couldn't sleep because I'd get into bed and think to myself that I couldn't sleep unless I had a ciggie. So 3 weeks of insomnia. And a strange side effect was that I couldn't read a book. Every time I picked up a book (or the phone come to that) I'd be desperate for a cigarette. Haven't had a cigarette this century.

Forgot to write WELL DONE! Don't start again just don't, you'll be so cross with yourself. This is my third and longest attempt at giving up. I suspect it's like being a 'recovering alcoholic' .. you are always only a 'recovering smoker'. Stick with the giving up, you'll be so proud of yourself when you pass that first year.

ali marshall
22-09-2011, 13:35
There's a book you can buy that will DEFINITELY help, it's called The Easy Way to stop smoking by Alan Carr, costs less than a carton of cheap fags and worth every penny. I was a 60 per day smoker and stopped within an hour of reading the book and haven't looked back since. I'm sure you can get it from Amazon in a few days. Good luck

Thanks will have a look for the book on Amazon or ebay,problem is i cannot still long enough to read much at the minute lol

Added after 3 minutes:

I would so like to follow your example.

anegib,get yourself in right frame of mind for giving up and think of things you can do to keep yourself busy,maybe would could follow each others progress on here and support each other.Belive everyday for me is stressfull,so if i can do it anyone can.

Added after 2 minutes:

I found that once I got to the 3 week mark, the urges began to decline. Had to give up beer as well for a time as I couldn't handle a pint without a cigarette. Keep up the effort, its all worthwhile in the end.:goodluck:

I am the same no bber for me or tea or coffee,was always a 3 cups of tea in the morning with a cig and i think when i went out i would smoke at least 2 to 3 cigs to a pint,now having fruit juice in the morning and drinking malibu and coke if i go outin the evening,i guess it all about changing the routine.

I tried chewing gum and for some reason it made me craved for a cig more,i think its because if i did not have anything to drink i would chew gum while smoking.

Added after 2 minutes:

I found the worst problem was that I couldn't sleep because I'd get into bed and think to myself that I couldn't sleep unless I had a ciggie. So 3 weeks of insomnia. And a strange side effect was that I couldn't read a book. Every time I picked up a book (or the phone come to that) I'd be desperate for a cigarette. Haven't had a cigarette this century.

Forgot to write WELL DONE! Don't start again just don't, you'll be so cross with yourself. This is my third and longest attempt at giving up. I suspect it's like being a 'recovering alcoholic' .. you are always only a 'recovering smoker'. Stick with the giving up, you'll be so proud of yourself when you pass that first year.

I agree i cannot sit for long,my friend phoned the other day for a hour and by the end of was dying for a cig,cannot sit at the pc for long either,reading a book would be hard as usually i would sit have a drink and beer.Thats why my apartment so cleanand tidy and done loads of painting this week .

delderek
22-09-2011, 14:28
I have always found giving up not to difficult. But restarting even easier, six or seven times now. Oh well perhaps next time will be permanent.:(

cainaries
22-09-2011, 14:51
I have always found giving up not to difficult. But restarting even easier, six or seven times now. Oh well perhaps next time will be permanent.:(

What I found so stupid about starting again was that I didn't even enjoy the first cigarette but by the following day I'd be back on a packet a day. I have a friend who smokes about 5 cigarettes a year when she fancies one. I wish I could manage that.

delderek
22-09-2011, 16:55
What I found so stupid about starting again was that I didn't even enjoy the first cigarette but by the following day I'd be back on a packet a day. I have a friend who smokes about 5 cigarettes a year when she fancies one. I wish I could manage that.

Exactly the same, silly, are we not?

Goforgold
22-09-2011, 17:03
Well done Ali, keep it up. Can you get Aniseed Balls? These are great for when dieting and giving up ciggies. They last so long and so very few calories are eaten. If you can't get them in Tenerife, maybe somone could bring some over for you. :)

I gave up 18 years ago. I don't know anyone who smokes now, but when I did, I must admit I did have the occasional ciggie - but not for 11 years now.

cainaries
22-09-2011, 19:49
Well done Ali, keep it up. Can you get Aniseed Balls? These are great for when dieting and giving up ciggies. They last so long and so very few calories are eaten. If you can't get them in Tenerife, maybe somone could bring some over for you. :)

I gave up 18 years ago. I don't know anyone who smokes now, but when I did, I must admit I did have the occasional ciggie - but not for 11 years now.

Aniseed balls? Ugh. That would put me off everything just about.

ali marshall
22-09-2011, 21:07
I have to agree with cainaries,i think i stick to the grapes,defaintly less fattening as well lol.It wont hurt me to put few pound on but never goes on in the right places lol.I even went to bed early the other night because i was constantly thinking of food lol,and thats very unusal for me.

dokgolf
22-09-2011, 21:14
I tried using chewing gum but I bit the inside of my cheek and once I had done that, I kept on doing it!:)

cainaries
22-09-2011, 22:08
I have to agree with cainaries,i think i stick to the grapes,defaintly less fattening as well lol.It wont hurt me to put few pound on but never goes on in the right places lol.I even went to bed early the other night because i was constantly thinking of food lol,and thats very unusal for me.
Ohhh we haven't even mentioned the weight gain. I don't like to think about it. It was a lot. A friend of mine who is a regular giver-upper told me that when she started smoking again she never lost the weight she'd gained when she stopped. This is Not Good.

Megaloo
22-09-2011, 22:38
Well done and keep up the good work. I gave up over 30 years ago and it is never easy, but worth it in the end. I used to do the same put money in a jar everytime I would have bought a packet amazing how it grows ( the money)
First of all I coughed more after i gave up smoking , I thought that was a good excuse to start again, fortunately I did not.

Goforgold
23-09-2011, 06:52

I have a supply of balls by my bedside and at work - there's a man at work who's having to lose quiet a lot of weight for his wedding at Christmas and he swears by the balls too ;)

Added after 2 minutes:

I tried using chewing gum but I bit the inside of my cheek and once I had done that, I kept on doing it!:)

Funny you should say that Dokgolf, I didn't realise, but lots of people do that. I thought I was the only one. I saw my sister doing it when I was little and thought I'd try it, I wish I hadn't!! :)

cainaries
23-09-2011, 10:56
I have a supply of balls by my bedside and at work - there's a man at work who's having to lose quiet a lot of weight for his wedding at Christmas and he swears by the balls too ;)

Added after 2 minutes:

Funny you should say that Dokgolf, I didn't realise, but lots of people do that. I thought I was the only one. I saw my sister doing it when I was little and thought I'd try it, I wish I hadn't!! :)

Swears by the balls?? What does that sound like, GFG:D:D

Bradybunch
23-09-2011, 11:58
Congratulations and keep going, I gave up 9 months ago and have been on two holidays with everyone smoking round me and not succumbed. I was the same a drink and ciggie went together but I have managed to break it with determination and an electronic cigarette.

I actually got to the point where I couldnt stand the taste anymore or the smell, not too mention the cost over here in the UK. My partner was a smoker for nearly 40 years and he still has moments where he gets ratty and bitey, but they are getting less and less.

I feel much better for it and enjoy a drink without a ciggie now and when I wake up in the mornings after a night out I dont feel as rough anymore.

Well done.

ali marshall
23-09-2011, 20:59
Thanks everyone for kind words and support,still going strong.I agree i feel so much bettter for stopping,and wish my partner would at least try and stop,i keeping telling him he stinks and its like kissing a ashtray.

Trying not to be a typical ex smoker but when you do stop you do notice the smell so much more.My energy levels have defaintly risen as well.Its just the keeping myself busy is starting to wear me out and trying not to eat so much thats hard lol

Goforgold
23-09-2011, 21:19
Thanks everyone for kind words and support,still going strong.I agree i feel so much bettter for stopping,and wish my partner would at least try and stop,i keeping telling him he stinks and its like kissing a ashtray.

Trying not to be a typical ex smoker but when you do stop you do notice the smell so much more.My energy levels have defaintly risen as well.Its just the keeping myself busy is starting to wear me out and trying not to eat so much thats hard lol

Great to hear that you're still hanging on in there - keep it up!! You certainly do notice the smell when you've given up. When I think how we used to smoke at work and on buses etc - must have been dire for those that didn't smoke and who suffered from the inhalation.

I feel very sorry for any of the businesses that may have suffered through the ban on smoking, but it is lovely to be able to go into a restaurant or public house without coming home with smelly clothes and hair.

Santiago
23-09-2011, 21:39

Congratulations Ali! Just keep strong and don't start again. Think of all that lovely money you are not spending on the ciggies. Smoking gave me up in March when I had three weeks in bed with flu and didn't smoke and then had pneumonia which has taken nearly six months to clear. It seemed a bit silly to start again and I haven't, but it was easier for me as I didn't have any withdrawal problems. One thing I did have to do was wash all the clothes in my wardrobes and drawers as they seemed to smell of smoke although I had never noticed it before. I now wonder if I always smelt awful!

Tenerife Villas
24-09-2011, 14:12
well done I gave up 4 years ago at the time I was working 1 month in tenerife and the next month in the uk I had to used the chewing gum but used to buy it in wilkinsons in the uk as it was only atenner for 104 gums here in tenerife nicorette gum is 40€ for the same pack.

tracey_in_tenerife
24-09-2011, 19:57
Well done Hun , you've done so well , the hard bits over with now , did you go cold turkey or use the patches ? Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunseeker
24-09-2011, 20:03
have you got a light? lol :D

sorry, only joking. tried to give up a few times. its not easy. well done and keep it up

that was just my sense of humor no offece intended :)

Goforgold
24-09-2011, 20:10
You'll have to excuse Sunseeker - she's not been feeling herself tonight! :)

Santiago
24-09-2011, 22:11
Hope you are still keeping it going Ali. Don't forget to keep us informed.

Goforgold
25-09-2011, 08:56
Keep going Ali - all us ex-smokers are behind you. ;)