PDA

View Full Version : Former Selby landlord is living the dream in Tenerife!

KirstyJay
22-09-2011, 15:28
SUN, sand and success were just what the doctor ordered for a former Selby landlord.

Ian Henderson was suffering from a condition called reflex syncope which caused him to suffer fits and blackouts.

Concerned medics told the 46-year-old that he could either have a pacemaker fitted or move to a warmer climate.

Ian decided to take the plunge and set up home in Tenerife - and just 12 months later, he’s in the running for one of the island’s most prestigious entertainment awards.

A former doorman at Selby pubs Madhouse and The Griffin, and a landlord at The Unicorn, Ian now makes his living as a karaoke compere.

He draws a packed-out crowd six nights a week by entertaining tourists at the island’s Hereford Bull bar, dressed as green-faced ogre, Shrek – with a show called Tiny Bit of Shrek.

Describing the past year as the “biggest rollercoaster of his life”, he is now back to good health and says “everyday feels like Saturday” in his new island paradise.

He will be on the edge of his seat when he attends the Tenerife Entertainment Awards on September 25, adding: “If I win, I think I’ll just go to the stage and collapse! It’s such an honour as there are so many great entertainers on the island.”

At 6ft 2in – hence the long-held nickname Tiny – former bodybuilder Ian has been enjoying sunning himself in the scorching temperatures of a Tenerife summer but says it means the green paint doesn’t last long.

He first moved out to Tenerife in 2006 to join his brother Shaun, who’s lived out there for a decade, but he returned to live in Wistow in 2009 and his health began to deteoriate.

He added: “I was in a really bad way, I couldn’t work as I kept having blackouts and the doctor suggested I move back to somewhere warmer.”

The change has given the former Sherburn High pupil a new lease of life with his new philosophy being to “make one person happy every day for the rest of my life.”

source (http://www.selbytimes.co.uk/news/local-news/district-news/former_selby_landlord_is_living_the_dream_1_379467 4)

bonitatime
24-09-2011, 22:06
What a lovely story. I hope he does well tomorrow

waveydavey
25-09-2011, 07:07
Well done it must take a lot of guts to take your life and to change everything.Good luck.

Christine12
25-09-2011, 07:10
Hi Hun

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT!! Simon and I are thinking of you in Bahrain!! You certainly deserve this. Love you loads!!!

dokgolf
25-09-2011, 11:38
Did anyone happen to get the name of his doctor? Wanna make an appointment asap! Seriously, best of luck. Full of admiration for people like this who take life full on!:respect:

MummyJ
26-09-2011, 22:18
well done to mike carlton who won the category and also a lifetime achievement and all the nominees - was an amazing day