PDA

View Full Version : Grandad fighting for life after choking on Sunday lunch in Tenerife

KirstyJay
22-09-2011, 15:34
A CELTIC fan was last night fighting for his life after choking on his Sunday lunch before the Old Firm match.

Grandad Tommy McGinn, 65, “died” when a piece of roast beef became lodged in his throat and he stopped breathing before collapsing on the floor of a restaurant.

The fitness fanatic, from Craigneuk in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, was on a three-week holiday with his wife Ella, 63, in Tenerife when he took ill on Sunday just minutes before the Celtic v Rangers game.

Shocked restaurant staff called an ambulance and paramedics battled to bring him back to life.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was put in an “induced coma” and on a life support machine.

Retired electrical engineer Tommy’s family were last night “praying for a miracle” over fears he could have suffered brain damage.

Doctors will perform surgery on Tommy today to remove a blood clot and investigate any damage caused by the lack of oxygen to his brain.

His son Tommy jnr, 36, also from Craigneuk, told how the operation had given the family fresh hope that his dad will survive.

On Monday doctors told them to consider saying good-bye to Tommy and switching off the life support machine.

Tommy’s daughter Marrisa, 34, her partner Edward and their 12-year-old Edward arrived in the island resort of Los Cristianos to be by his bedside and give Ella support.

Yesterday they called Tommy jnr to tell him about the life-saving operation.

Last night Tommy jnr said: “I thought we were going to lose my dad and that we would have to switch off the life support machine but now we have been told that doctors are going to operate and they think he will be ok.

“I still can’t take in what happened. My dad was fit and healthy, there was never anything wrong with him.He power walked every day and went to the gym. He looks after himself and loves life.

“He lives for his family, particularly his five grandkids. He is the best dad and granddad anyone could wish for. He loves them so much and we would all be lost without him.

“He went on holiday a week ago with my mum and they planned to spend three weeks there before coming home and my dad was going to take his three grandsons to Barcelona to meet some of the footballers.

“Mum and dad were always taking their grandkids away on holiday with them and they had just come back from two weeks in Alicante with all five of them when they left for a wee break on their own to Tenerife.

“He has been a Celtic fan all his life but he would always put his family before the football.

“My dad had gone out for a relaxing Sunday roast with my mum before they went to watch the Old Firm match.

“He choked on a bit of roast beef and fell to the floor. We were told he died in the restaurant because his brain was starved of oxygen and the paramedics brought him back to life.

“Dad was taken to hospital where they put him on a life support machine and put in a coma to give him the best chance of survival.

“We have no idea if my dad has any brain damage but the doctors are hopeful that the operation will do the trick.

“They will perform surgery on his brain to see if there is any damage and remove a blood clot.

“His chances are good - much better than they were just a day ago when we thought he was going to die. We were told to prepare for switching off the life support machine.

“I am still in shock and haven’t slept for days. The whole family are praying he makes a full recovery and we just want him home.

“My dad is very well known and well liked in the community and everyone is praying for him and lighting a candle.”

source (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/2011/09/21/grandad-fighting-for-life-after-choking-on-sunday-lunch-before-old-firm-clash-86908-23435259/)

beschuyt
27-09-2011, 22:49
Hello,

I am Jan, a 27 year old Belgian nurse who happened to be at the place of the accident.
Me and my sister (also a nurse) immediately started the resuscitation as we noticed a lack of breathing or pulse. We managed to regain the pulse in about 2 minutes and held Tommy stabile until the paramedics arrived. I’m very sorry to read what happened next. I want to make clear that everybody did what he could. Apparently it was to late, the damage had been already done….

If somebody of the family reads this, they can always contact me

Sad regards, my consolation for the family

Jan Beschuyt
Melle, Belgium

CaribeCelt
27-09-2011, 23:47
Any updates on this poor man?

Andy0210
27-09-2011, 23:58
Hello,

I am Jan, a 27 year old Belgian nurse who happened to be at the place of the accident.
Me and my sister (also a nurse) immediately started the resuscitation as we noticed a lack of breathing or pulse. We managed to regain the pulse in about 2 minutes and held Tommy stabile until the paramedics arrived. I’m very sorry to read what happened next. I want to make clear that everybody did what he could. Apparently it was to late, the damage had been already done….

If somebody of the family reads this, they can always contact me:

Sad regards, my consolation for the family

Jan Beschuyt
Melle, Belgium

Speaking from personal experience if he was resuscitated within two minutes or so then his chances are very good, if not excellent, my dad was resuscitated after 15 minutes in 2002 and trust me thats a very long time after the problems start from lack of oxygen.

If anything his family should be positive and can hope for the best.

timmylish
28-09-2011, 00:18
Aye, Andy. Unfortunately you and I both know the likely outcome for the guy if he was without oxygen for more than a couple of minutes.

Andy0210
28-09-2011, 00:38
Aye, Andy. Unfortunately you and I both know the likely outcome for the guy if he was without oxygen for more than a couple of minutes.

No, he was with oxygen in about two minutes, he was lucky to have trained medical staff on hand straight away, so thats the best outcome ever! Think positive! :)

timmylish
28-09-2011, 01:06
Sorry, but reading the report by the girl Jan, the gentleman didn,t survive or at least had damage done?

beschuyt
28-09-2011, 01:27
Guys Update!

Tommy passed away.
After 2 minutes his pulse came back but we kept giving mouth to mouth until paramedics arrived.
I, myself, a male nurse who works on an emergency floor am deeply disappointed by the Canarian paramedics:

Several "mistakes" were made by them. They didn't even bother to ask :what happened, what we did, how long he was without oxygen,... They didn't even speak English... Sad...
For example: they struggled with the canule to open the "airways". When they took over they started with heart massage (eventough he had a pulse and the AED said the pulse-rate was 130bpm). This aedmachine actualy "talks" to you and says what to do. It kept saying (like I did): GIVE OXYGEN. I (as a tourist) had to take the oxygenbag out of their case because he misjudged the situation....

A second ambulance arrived with better paramedics who took over the situation. They used an aspiration machine to clear the throat because the food was in to deep to get it by hand. I guess the first ones weren't actualy nurses or so, Here in Belgium there are also firefighters who equip the ambulance for example, not (well) trained for life-threatening situations.

Added after 3 minutes:

Forgot to mention that I saw him fall into the ground, head first, very hard. His head was bleeding so the chance of an internal arterial bloodcloth was very big. Possible that a cloth blocked the arteries, so oxygenmask or not... mayby it was already to late...

Added after 2 minutes:

he was lucky to have trained medical staff on hand straight away,

He was lucky that a family of Belgian nurses walked by and saw it happen. There was even a man who tried to stop me and said that I didn't know what I was doing. He said: let hem, he's just choking in food... Until I turned Tommy over and he saw the purple face...

Andy0210
28-09-2011, 01:32
You did your best, don´t beat yourself up, I could beat myself up about a situation 10 yrs ago with my father, its not to be in some cases. You tried your best. xxxxx

beschuyt
28-09-2011, 01:40
[QUOTE=timmylish;101577]the report by the girl Jan, QUOTE]

I am a guy ;-)

Added after 30 minutes:

I did some extra research and found many articles in different websites. Actually, it isn't anymore clear to me that he survived.
Does anyone know if the surgery succeeded?

Thanks

Added after 40 minutes:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/09/23/holiday-scare-grandad-tommy-mcginn-set-to-be-flown-home-less-than-a-week-after-collapsing-in-tenerife-86908-23439972/New update:

I found an article dating 4 days ago.
He was operated and a cloth was removed. Now it's waiting to see if there's damage...

Arona1
28-09-2011, 02:52
[QUOTE=timmylish;101577]the report by the girl Jan, QUOTE]

I am a guy ;-)

Added after 30 minutes:

I did some extra research and found many articles in different websites. Actually, it isn't anymore clear to me that he survived.
Does anyone know if the surgery succeeded?

Thanks

GOOD NEWS
He is alive and is out of intensive care(latest update was saturday) I know his wife Ella, and will pass on your email address to her, A huge thank you from me as well, well done guys, you saved his life

Arona1
28-09-2011, 03:17
Tommy is alive and making a good recovery, im passing on all the info to his family, thanks to all

AL JAY
28-09-2011, 04:01
Thats the best news i have heard for a long time ( it was confusing) earlier on in the thread, Good luck to Tommy and all his family!!!

beschuyt
28-09-2011, 04:22
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2011/09/23/holiday-scare-grandad-tommy-mcginn-set-to-be-flown-home-less-than-a-week-after-collapsing-in-tenerife-86908-23439972/

Great news!
I found a less confusing article.

garlicbread
28-09-2011, 10:45
BESCHUYT Forum member of the month I'd say....:c2:

Arona1
28-09-2011, 11:31
I last spoke to Ella(his wife) Saturday night, her daughter and family are here to support her, Tommy was to be moved out of intensive care, he is slowly getting back to himself (giving everyone a hard time) as i posted earlier I will pass on email details to herself, A massive thank you to all who helped save his life :tiphat:

dotty1
28-09-2011, 18:39
What a lovely ending to a very sad story, its great to hear he is doing well, thanks to everybody for all the information, that is what tenerife forum is all about

timmylish
28-09-2011, 23:38
What fantastic news for this Forum! I am truly thankful that he did survive and, hopefully, with the passage of time he,ll be up and about kicking a ball outside Celtic Park!

Arona1
29-09-2011, 03:21
beschuyt

Can you please PM me your details, email address, phone number, twitter or facebook, i tried emailing the address you have posted here but no reply, thank you very much.

Alan.

Arona1
30-09-2011, 02:07
More Good News

Tommy is out of hospital and on the mend, not 100% by any means but considering what happened he's doing very well, he enjoyed a fish supper tonight with his family, I have told them about Tenerife Forum, they would like to say a big thank you for the support :tiphat:

watj1gw
04-10-2011, 23:52
I am sorry to hear this as you did try very hard to revive him. However could i just point out I was the man who you say tried to stop you. I am also a Registered and Resuscitation Officer. At no point did I say you did not know what you were doing. I thought your effort was remarkable. Having just arrived and see you remove a very large piece of meat I was trying to help you put the patient on his side to ensure you had fully evacuated his airway. I was trying to assist you. You simply pushed me away and told me to leave him alone, so I walked away as I felt as though I was a hindrance and you didn't need my assistance. Apologies if I got in your way. However as an Advanced Life Support Instructor I felt your attempt was outstanding.

Arona1
05-10-2011, 03:16
As far as I know Tommy and his family returned to Scotland Tues(04 sep) thanks again :)