PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Phones Anyone tried ONO for a new telephone/ internet/ TV connection in Tenerife?

timmylish
06-06-2011, 23:39
As seen in a few free papers this week ONO are making offers to sign up with them. Speeds being claimed 6/12/50 Mbps which, if true, are exceptional in this part of the world. Also their pricing is considerably cheaper than Telefonica. We would try but, for the next 6 months or so, we are contracted to the usual lot. Anyone looked inot this new service or have ONO installed?

https://www.ono.es/ofertas/

TenerifeTeddy
07-06-2011, 08:37
Like many of these sorts of offers they tend to refer to the Peninsula, and not to Tenerife.

I have just received some advertising from Navagatel, offering ADSL via Microwave transmitter at up to 8mbps for €50 per month.
With all the problems in Callao with ADSL I wanted to snap their hand off. Turns out they can offer up to 3Mb for €29.50. which is still better than what I can get at the moment, but dissappointing as I was getting all excited :)

timmylish
07-06-2011, 23:04
Like many of these sorts of offers they tend to refer to the Peninsula, and not to Tenerife.

I have just received some advertising from Navagatel, offering ADSL via Microwave transmitter at up to 8mbps for €50 per month.
With all the problems in Callao with ADSL I wanted to snap their hand off. Turns out they can offer up to 3Mb for €29.50. which is still better than what I can get at the moment, but dissappointing as I was getting all excited :)

In actual fact the reason for my post was a reference in the "freebies" last week wherein an interview with the Cabildo,s President confirmed that with the arrival of the new cable from the Peninsula Ono were the first company to offer "Tenerife" clients the opportunity to take up their offer now at the rates I gave in my original post. Now the D/l speeds are in line with other parts of the world, certainly not Spain, where anything up to 50 Mgps is fairly commonplace. I am really surprised that no-one from the Forum has looked into this offer!

sleepy
08-06-2011, 09:46
In actual fact the reason for my post was a reference in the "freebies" last week wherein an interview with the Cabildo,s President confirmed that with the arrival of the new cable from the Peninsula Ono were the first company to offer "Tenerife" clients the opportunity to take up their offer now at the rates I gave in my original post. Now the D/l speeds are in line with other parts of the world, certainly not Spain, where anything up to 50 Mgps is fairly commonplace. I am really surprised that no-one from the Forum has looked into this offer!

It looks promising timmylish!However, I'd need to look closely into the actual costs once the 'dangle the carrot' first 12 months offer is up.

timmylish
08-06-2011, 13:53
It looks promising timmylish!However, I'd need to look closely into the actual costs once the 'dangle the carrot' first 12 months offer is up.

I would agree with you. However, reading the info, you are tied into one year only, at which time you are at liberty to change provider. For us, we shall move from Telefonica at the end of 12 months, so long as we can find a better deal and do that ad infinitum!

sleepy
08-06-2011, 14:37
I would agree with you. However, reading the info, you are tied into one year only, at which time you are at liberty to change provider. For us, we shall move from Telefonica at the end of 12 months, so long as we can find a better deal and do that ad infinitum!

Well sure,that sounds even better and well worth following up on.I'm presuming that ONO would make use of the existing Telefonica/Movistar landline and equipment?
I wonder just how easy it would be to cancel an existing contract.It's normally like speaking to a brick wall!!
Thanks for the info' on this Tim.

timmylish
08-06-2011, 15:08
Just as an addendum. I understand that several other operators on the Mainland wish to expand into the Canaries due to this new cable. All in all, its bound to increase the competition against Telefonica, thank heavens!

Happy Days
08-06-2011, 15:09
Any competiton is good as we have been held to ransom by telefonica for years. Still think that in many older communities connection will be limited.

When the cable companies came into competition with British Telecom (at the start of the 90's in Scotland), first thing they did was dig up the roads and put fiber optics though the main towns and cities. Lets hope ONO do the same here as their telephone and cable packages are much better value than we have at the moment.

Looks good for the future, but still a good few months away!!

timmylish
08-06-2011, 15:21
Any competiton is good as we have been held to ransom by telefonica for years. Still think that in many older communities connection will be limited.

When the cable companies came into competition with British Telecom (at the start of the 90's in Scotland), first thing they did was dig up the roads and put fiber optics though the main towns and cities. Lets hope ONO do the same here as their telephone and cable packages are much better value than we have at the moment.

Looks good for the future, but still a good few months away!!

Oh yes! Still some time away. I seem to recall that it was anticipated that no real changes would start until September at the earliest!

Gfplux
07-07-2011, 13:14
Great to hear that the competition might begin to hot up.
Also it is nice to see a thread where people are interested in technology and the internet.
If only more people who live in Tenerife and visitors were interested. it is only by shouting and nagging the existing operators will anything change.
It has been made clear to me that the majority of people on this forum don't care about internet connection and if they have it do not know how much they are paying for it.

tonypub
07-07-2011, 13:25
Great to hear that the competition might begin to hot up.
Also it is nice to see a thread where people are interested in technology and the internet.
If only more people who live in Tenerife and visitors were interested. it is only by shouting and nagging the existing operators will anything change.
It has been made clear to me that the majority of people on this forum don't care about internet connection and if they have it do not know how much they are paying for it.oh we have to pay for it?i thought it was free:doh:;)

Megaloo
07-07-2011, 13:36
I certainly will be looking into something different but waiting until September to see what transpires. I have had Ya for 7 years now and been very saitified until very recently where it goes off from time to time and as I use a telephone voip through the computer quite a lot this is a nuisance to be interupted in the middle of a converstion.:devil: but until now I have been more than satified at 32.95 Euros a month including local calls.

Gfplux
08-07-2011, 15:26
Megaloo
That could be your modem crashing. If it is 7 years old maybe a new one will improve your connection.
By the way who are Ya

Megaloo
08-07-2011, 15:49
Megaloo
That could be your modem crashing. If it is 7 years old maybe a new one will improve your connection.
By the way who are Ya

Thank you for that yes I have still the same modem, I have a new one but because I thought this was still working have not bothered to get it changed,:ashamed: but I will and see if it improves because their service has been extremely reliable until now, the only snag my Spanish is not very good and nobdy speaks English. They are based in Madrid and were the only provider to supply a wireless modem at the time I wanted connection. I will put up their link

Here it is http://internet.ya.com/index.html