PDA

View Full Version : How can I go about getting a bank account in the UK from Tenerife?

orphias
25-09-2011, 15:53
Hi

Will be moving back to the UK soon and will immediately need to open a bank account. Being an expat i know things can be difficult getting back in to the UK system such as a utillity bill to open an account.

However i was told some time ago that it's possible to open a special account in the UK called a Basic Bank Account? these accounts are for people without homes and of difficult circumstances and it's law that these accounts must be given to people untill they get on their feet.

Can anyone help me out here.

Thanks.

TOTO 99
25-09-2011, 16:00
That's correct but they are as basic as they say they are.
Try http://moneyfacts.co.uk/compare/banking/basic-bank-accounts/ it should give you all you need to know if the link is ok.

Balcony
26-09-2011, 14:28
Any bank will will help sent up an account on your return. Just explain your circumstances and wishes and ask how long it would be until you could 'upgrade'.

orphias
26-09-2011, 21:18
Thats good news.. so even though i can't produce a utillity bill i will still be able to open account without refusal? Is this still government law with all UK banks?