PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to the craic in O'Jangles?

Ashro Autos
26-09-2011, 21:11
Have my younger brother over on his holidays at the minute and being his first time on this crazy island i wanted to show him what the night life is all about.Off we set down to O'Jangles for what i thought would be a great night.Lets just say he was not very impressed apart from the queen tribute Max which made us both laugh.Dont know whats gone on down there but nowhere near as good as it used to be.Hope they get it sorted as Tom and all his staff used to put on a great night.Has anybody else noticed a difference down there ?

CIM
26-09-2011, 22:09
I was in there last week, had breakfast/lunch and yes all the staff have changed.
Never a good idea to change all staff at the same time, it turns off all the locals who are your bread and butter. Even if you dont know staff that well, people are much more comfortable around people they have met before and can say hello to. Familiarity is friendly. Friendly bars make more money.
No idea whats gone on there or why but it was better last year when I went there more often. I suppose things just change over time. Its a shame as Tom seemed to be doing very well with the place.

TenerifeFanatic
26-09-2011, 22:18
I was in there last week, had breakfast/lunch and yes all the staff have changed.
Never a good idea to change all staff at the same time, it turns off all the locals who are your bread and butter. Even if you dont know staff that well, people are much more comfortable around people they have met before and can say hello to. Familiarity is friendly. Friendly bars make more money.
No idea whats gone on there or why but it was better last year when I went there more often. I suppose things just change over time. Its a shame as Tom seemed to be doing very well with the place.Sad to hear this. Tom was a lovely lovely guy and so welcoming.:(

doreen
26-09-2011, 22:19
Strange you weren't impressed Ashro, for looking at the figures, it was an incredible day & night's business :) A large Irish crowd were there, singing along, I am told ....

Now, should I start talking about the last job on my X5, I wonder ....

Loaded
26-09-2011, 22:22
What happened to Tom?

doreen
26-09-2011, 22:27
If anyone would like to check Tripadvisor, there's a whole load of (unsolicited) reviews of late saying what great fun the place is, great entertainment, good pub grub etc etc I think there is a lot of craic going on ... with a more Irish flavour these days :)

CIM
26-09-2011, 22:32
What happened to Tom?
He´s still there. Its probably only noticeable if you haven't been for a while. For tourists I would expect its the same good experience.

Mawkin
26-09-2011, 22:42
If anyone would like to check Tripadvisor, there's a whole load of (unsolicited) reviews of late saying what great fun the place is, great entertainment, good pub grub etc etc I think there is a lot of craic going on ... with a more Irish flavour these days :)

I always take reviews on TA with a pinch of salt when the posters have only signed up to post once then never post or ask for information again.

doreen
26-09-2011, 22:45
I always take reviews on TA with a pinch of salt when the posters have only signed up to post once then never post or ask for information again.

Agreed, it is often so, but I showed them to Sean this morning and he wasn't even sure which customers might have written them (and it has pushed O'Jangles untold places higher than La Terrazza :lol:)

Loaded
26-09-2011, 22:56
I've always had a good time there, not been up in a long time though

Ashro Autos
26-09-2011, 22:56
Doreen agree it was quite busy in there and if you ask your staff you will find we spent our fair share in there last night and again this morning.As for tripadvisor i have never had the pleasure.

tonypub
27-09-2011, 03:09
bars are living things,1 day great next day not so great.the weather plays a big factor too.tourists want sun,if they dont get it there miserable(not all)and takings are down.cloudy n they spend in the day,shoppin,sunny n the bars are rockin at night.i do believe it was cloudy of late:wink:

Balcony
27-09-2011, 08:39
Though we're down there often enough and our place is fairly close to OJs never been in there. Never had curb appeal for me

Goforgold
27-09-2011, 09:23
We've been in O'Jangles several times and like the fact that it's situate on a corner so you don't feel hemmed in or that you are just sitting in a row of bars. :) Plus we always seem to find a parking space just outside - always a bonus!! :)

Medman
27-09-2011, 09:34
Dropped in a couple of weeks ago and landed lucky as Brad James was on. Excellent rock singer, breath of fresh air form the usual solo "entertainers" on the island. Worked hard and was really appreciated by the crowd. (not many OAPs) Didn't rate the resident compare/singer, although to be fair he did sound as if he had a sore throat that night. Feel he could have tried harder to warm up the crowd. Apart from Brad James not a memorable night out.

golf birdie
27-09-2011, 09:39
I will never understand why the front of the local has not been knocked out and replaced by doors that can be fully opened allowing the punters on the terrace to see whats going on. There must be a reason:confused:

Red Devil
27-09-2011, 10:31
I will never understand why the front of the local has not been knocked out and replaced by doors that can be fully opened allowing the punters on the terrace to see whats going on. There must be a reason:confused:

Thats a really good point as I too have wondered about that.
When an act is on you just can't hear or see it properly from the terrace and it makes you feel completely cut off. It would be lovely if it could all be opened up at night.
(Has the TV in its big box been replaced yet:spin:?)
Looking forward to seeing Sean and enjoying more of an Irish theme when I'm over though, good luck for everything they are trying in the bar.

Davie Thistle
27-09-2011, 11:08
.......I'll check it out in a week today!!!

Get the whisky out Tom!!!!

CIM
27-09-2011, 11:13
The meetup is next week isnt it? On the 4th?

delderek
27-09-2011, 11:15
Thats a really good point as I too have wondered about that.
When an act is on you just can't hear or see it properly from the terrace and it makes you feel completely cut off. It would be lovely if it could all be opened up at night.
(Has the TV in its big box been replaced yet:spin:?)
Looking forward to seeing Sean and enjoying more of an Irish theme when I'm over though, good luck for everything they are trying in the bar.

Agree it would make it look much more welcoming (as is Taylors), but it is only a single unit, and they would lose a lot of seating inside.

anto3
27-09-2011, 12:22
We had a great night there last Saturday. Sean is a great singer. Think a real Irish bar is need in that area

Skeggy
27-09-2011, 12:25
Visitors are very fickle, one moment your in next your out, some one somewhere giving something away.

Davie Thistle
27-09-2011, 13:03
The meetup is next week isnt it? On the 4th?

Yup!

see you there kiddo!
:raspberry:

DOREEN QUINN
27-09-2011, 13:48
We had a great night there last Saturday. Sean is a great singer. Think a real Irish bar is need in that area

Got to agree, we always enjoy our nights there.

seanocelt
27-09-2011, 16:26
:):) It's like any other night out, .....what you make it for yourself. And starting a thread lamenting about the past is pointless.....it has passed.

Loaded
27-09-2011, 21:08
Toi toi toi gotta be having the craic!

seanocelt
28-09-2011, 13:26
Toi toi toi gotta be having the craic!

Lay off that craic boy, bad for you, they say. Daft thread Senior Ashro, you never mentioned any of this when you helped me unblock the sink a day later! We will get the craic more to your liking. Medman, i did get a sore throat that night. AFTER BRAD ! (the mic was faulty too). I have a throaty style anyway. Brad doesnt really like the big build up thing, he is modest, for all his talent.

Loaded
28-09-2011, 13:48
I'm all about the craic! It's what I dooooooooooo!!!!

Ashro Autos
28-09-2011, 18:50
Popped in again last night and had to wait for seat outside.Bar staff last night were great ( Roseanne never stands still no wonder she so skinny:jumping::jumping::jumping: ) along with entertainment.Brother likes it now he getting used to the rock.