PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones What's the best mobile phone for signal strength?

carpenter
27-09-2011, 12:16
Hi, I'm having serious issues with my phone/s.
This is not a question to find out whose network coverage is best but simply to find out what phone performs best when signal strength is relatively low.
What phone rings when others are scanning for network?
I'm not a fan of the Samsung range to be honest as I've had a number of battery life issues with them.
What I'm looking for in a phone is (list in order of importance).

A) Has the ability to make and receive calls when other phones can't
B) Not one of those touch screen things as it will get destroyed in seconds with my job
C) Good battery life
D) Decent organizer/calculator/PC link up
E) Camera
F) Wifi would be good

It has been said that a phone with fewer attributes performs better in signal strength tests.

I don't care about colour,size,age,ringtone or any other status things. Missing calls is costing me a small fortune in lost business and also the cost of returning calls so please help.

Thank in advance

poker
27-09-2011, 13:36
Probably you need a phone like in the youtube clip here .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1axK_x648Bc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent using Tapatalk.

carpenter
27-09-2011, 13:59
Probably you need a phone like in the youtube clip here .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1axK_x648Bc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent using Tapatalk.

That was helpful.

9PLUS
27-09-2011, 14:09
A Satellite phone

carpenter
27-09-2011, 14:15
A Satellite phone

Sat phones don't work inside

9PLUS
27-09-2011, 14:22
Sat phones don't work inside

You didn't say it was for inside

Nokia's have good battery life and antennas

Trick is to purchase a phone with the least amount of screen activity as possible

Where one network maybe low another maybe OK

The assumption that the Orange network is the worst is possibly the truth

golf birdie
27-09-2011, 14:56
You didn't say it was for inside

can you two just get a room

Vortex Wake
27-09-2011, 16:43
Remember - a mobile must report its status to the cell transmitter mast.

More power is used by your phone when the cell transmitter is at its weakest signal (even if you are not talking on it).

More power is used by your phone when mobile, as it may repeatedly try to report its status when in and out of a poor signal area.

So, when mobile, have the phone on the dash or in a top pocket - not in your back pocket.

The human body, metal, and dense building structures will all attenuate a cell phone signal. Placing the phone by a window will help reception in poor areas.

Smart phone apps like 'Antennas' are a great way of actually 'seeing' which cell transmitters your phone is using or has used, and the resultant signal strength available allowing you to place the phone in an optimum position.

The best way to receive a terrestrial radio transmission is usually by placing the antenna at the highest point - much like your TV aerial. Since this is impractical for cellphone use, providers target cellphone masts where the most amount of revenue (people) is generated. Coupled with poor terrain, this will always lead to dead reception spots that no phone manufacture can overcome.

9PLUS
27-09-2011, 18:46
Nicely put VW

timmylish
28-09-2011, 00:42
I,ve had a Nokia 6600i which is a slide to protect the key-pad. Exterior is metal and I,ve dropped it many times whilst out with the dog! Works no problem. Battery lasts sufficiently. The ring tones are excellent as walk around the house with ear-phones on and can still hear it ringing. Don,t laugh but it got a strong vibrating mechanism which, for construction types, is excellent. Its just a phone with B/tooth, conx to computer and a camera. Just what you need. Its not new but you might want to look at eBay etc.

cowen1000
28-09-2011, 08:48
IMO I would recommend a Sony Ericsson but one of the basic models not a touchscreen. S/E's seem to have a better reception when compared to other brands in low signal area's, also their battery life is exceptional. A good place to look and compare any phone is http://www.gsmarena.com . Every mobile ever made is on there with its full specs and reviews, it also has a compare tab which will allow you to compare handsets.

I hope this helps