PDA

View Full Version : London Theatre Break Ideas

Angusjim
28-09-2011, 14:05
We just booked up train & hotel for end of the October we are going to a couple of shows and were thinking one would be Rock of Ages anyone been to see this ? and any ideas for another show you can recommend :tiphat:

Skeggy
28-09-2011, 14:53
Hi ya Rock of Ages ? do you mean "We will Rock You" at the Dominion all based on the music of Queen, that's a very good rock show.
In my opinion "Les Miserables" is top musical and top theatre experience not to be missed is "War Horse".
Anything in the West End is good for me and to save a few bob have a look at the board of the Tkts office in Leicester Square but only the official one in the square not the ticket shop around as you won't get what they promise with the official one you only get top seats.
If you want to see Wizard of Oz at the Palladium, get there when the box office opens and ask for day seats, they are very reasonable, we sat on the front row for a previous show very reasonable.

Angusjim
28-09-2011, 15:20
Hi ya Rock of Ages ? do you mean "We will Rock You" at the Dominion all based on the music of Queen, that's a very good rock show.
In my opinion "Les Miserables" is top musical and top theatre experience not to be missed is "War Horse".
Anything in the West End is good for me and to save a few bob have a look at the board of the Tkts office in Leicester Square but only the official one in the square not the ticket shop around as you won't get what they promise with the official one you only get top seats.

If you want to see Wizard of Oz at the Palladium, get there when the box office opens and ask for day seats, they are very reasonable, we sat on the front row for a previous show very reasonable.

No the name is Rock of Ages it's in set the 1980's its on at the Shaftsbury Theatre. I have seen We Will Rock You and agree it was brilliant. Funnily I just read a piece about Tkts I will give it a visit we are staying 10mins walk from Leicester Square. thanks for info

lesbroz
28-09-2011, 22:17
I can highly recommend The Jersey Boys and for the laughs...... Priscilla Queen of the Desert!

cainaries
28-09-2011, 22:31
I can highly recommend The Jersey Boys and for the laughs...... Priscilla Queen of the Desert!

I loved The Jersey Boys. The minute it finished I could just have sat down and watched the whole thing all over again.

PS - I dragged a 'culture vulture' friend of mine along to see it (and she hates musicals) and even she loved it.

willowlily
29-09-2011, 07:51
if its midweek we go to the ticket offices opposite leicester square at 5.30pm when most shows are available at half price we then make our way to the theatre and have enough time to eat in one of the local restuarants, there are so many good shows on, musicals and drama.
you will love rock of ages
have a great time

Angusjim
31-10-2011, 14:55
Had a great 3 days in London went to see Rock of Ages was very good but not a patch on We Will Rock You. We went to see the Mousetrap ( a new play I believe !! don't know if it will last in the West End lol ) it was excellent, Comedy club on Saturday night, wandered around Covent Garden Piazza most of the day Saturday watching the street acts etc then into Transport Museum. Too much to eat and drink and the weather for time of year was brilliant. I do enjoy a trip to London but find 2 or 3 days enough :)

Skeggy
31-10-2011, 16:14
Had a great 3 days in London went to see Rock of Ages was very good but not a patch on We Will Rock You. We went to see the Mousetrap ( a new play I believe !! don't know if it will last in the West End lol ) it was excellent, Comedy club on Saturday night, wandered around Covent Garden Piazza most of the day Saturday watching the street acts etc then into Transport Museum. Too much to eat and drink and the weather for time of year was brilliant. I do enjoy a trip to London but find 2 or 3 days enough :)

Great to hear that you had a good time Jim, three nights and four shows is enough for us, although I enjoy Spain and the Canaries, London is my ideal holiday destination but also enjoyed Madrid very much. Thanks for letting us know how you got on.

stevem
31-10-2011, 17:06
Having worked in London on and off for years, I have to say I wouldn't be sorry if the place was nuked. I now spend most of my time avoiding the place! :devil:

Mawkin
31-10-2011, 20:26
Having worked in London on and off for years, I have to say I wouldn't be sorry if the place was nuked. I now spend most of my time avoiding the place! :devil:

If you hate the place so much why bother to go in the first place Oh I forgot you came for the money like lots of others so it most be just greed.

stevem
01-11-2011, 07:13
If you hate the place so much why bother to go in the first place Oh I forgot you came for the money like lots of others so it most be just greed.

Hmm greed.......nope! Some of us have to pay the bills and keep a roof over our heads though. I'm puzzled why greed would come into it? I just do a job like anyone else. I have to go to Manchester and Glasgow and most of Europe for that matter. I must be very greedy I guess, or just looking after my family. As you seem to know so much about me, you decide. :raspberry:

Skeggy
01-11-2011, 08:42
What's this all about? between you two. AngusJim was only telling us how much he had enjoyed his few days in London, I responded and said I enjoyed London, Stevem said he did'nt, nothing wrong with that. And now spoiled by this nonsense.

Bazz
01-11-2011, 10:36
What hotel did you stay in AngusJim? Been having a look online pricing up some hotels and most of them are very expensive!
:dontknow:

Angusjim
01-11-2011, 10:59
What hotel did you stay in AngusJim? Been having a look online pricing up some hotels and most of them are very expensive!
:dontknow:

We booked 3 nights bed and breakfast with return train fare from Dundee for two via Superbreak £475.00 we stayed at the Doubletree By Hilton Southampton Row just off Russell Square. Hotel was great, in good location for what we required, althought the room was a bit small it had everything required. Superbreak have some really good deals as do papers like Daily Mail. We have also used travelsupermarket to book hotels in London & Edinburgh hope this helps:)

stevem
01-11-2011, 12:07
What's this all about? between you two. AngusJim was only telling us how much he had enjoyed his few days in London, I responded and said I enjoyed London, Stevem said he did'nt, nothing wrong with that. And now spoiled by this nonsense.

Quite, apologies to yourself and AngusJim. Must not let things get the better of me!!

Angusjim, hope you had a great time!!! :)

Mawkin
01-11-2011, 12:38

I agree their nothing wrong in saying you do not like a place but to wish it to be "nuked" is going way over the top in my opinion. Do he really know what it means if not look at some of the footage from Japan.

stevem
01-11-2011, 13:20
I agree their nothing wrong in saying you do not like a place but to wish it to be "nuked" is going way over the top in my opinion. Do he really know what it means if not look at some of the footage from Japan.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to PM me rather than getting petty on someone elses perfectly reasonable thread.......

Bazz
01-11-2011, 13:53
Thanks A.J.
I was coming up with prices of £800 and upwards for three nights hotel only, double room!!!! :scared:
Will have a look at Superbreak.

Skeggy
01-11-2011, 14:23
Thanks A.J.
I was coming up with prices of £800 and upwards for three nights hotel only, double room!!!! :scared:
Will have a look at Superbreak.

Just a suggestion, some of the London Hotel prices are very expensive, we live in Lincolnshire and drive to Borehamwood where there is a good selection of reasonable hotels, we then take the train into London which takes about 20 minutes to half an hour.
the fare was the last time we went was £15.00 return for the two of us with tube travel, If you are not too fussy Travelodge do some very good deals.

Bazz
01-11-2011, 16:07
Thanks skeggy. Will be arriving London by plane. Will take a look at travelodge too.:D