PDA

View Full Version : How do I re-install Linux once I have overwritten it?

karinagal
29-09-2011, 19:12
I have an Acer Aspire One with came with Linux as its operating system. I mistakenly decided to get Windows installed on it. The processor (don't ask me any model numbers, the netbook is in Tenerife and I'm in the UK just now!) is not up to it and regardless of how many anti malware programmes etc that I run, it is as slow as treacle.. Since I no longer need it to run on Windows now, I would love to get it back to factory settings but I can't find the recovery disc anywhere.. Is there anyone out there who would be able to do this for me? I bought the Aspire One when it was not long out. At the time, it was available in both windows and linux and I opted for linux. I changed it to windows as I could not work out how to get it to work with a usb mobile dongle. Now that I have (fast) broadband in the apartment, I'm happy to get it changed back as it worked really fast and really well when on linux!! Lesson learnt.. :doh:

I'm next out on 21st October.

Karina

:stupid:

markcuk
29-09-2011, 19:24
http://ftp.twaren.net/Linux/Linpus/

http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-news/1-latest-news/249-acer-aspire-one-linpus-linux-lite-recovery-dvd-online

http://www.theacerguy.com/2008/09/aspire-one-recovery/

ok found the recovery cd for you https://xroot.org/journal/index.cgi/gnu-linux/acer-one-recovery.html

karinagal
29-09-2011, 19:40
Thanks petal, I'll see if I can get something from those links - you are a star!

markcuk
29-09-2011, 19:53
no problem

you might want this link as well it fixes a very common problem with the aspire one's if you come accross it

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

cheers

mark

churnlobster
30-09-2011, 12:25
Why dont you just upgrade the ram to 2gb so it can run windows?
Thats what i did with my Acer One, and it runs sweet now, not to money and easy to install.....

Greg
30-09-2011, 13:30
Linux OS is better than Windoze imho. Unless you really need a particular programme that will only run on Windoze (which is quite rare these days) you are better off with Linux.

karinagal
30-09-2011, 13:37
Why dont you just upgrade the ram to 2gb so it can run windows?
Thats what i did with my Acer One, and it runs sweet now, not to money and easy to install.....

If it involves opening up the unit, then I'm not confident enough to do that.... Not sure how much RAM it has, but it's got 120gb hard drive..

Added after 5 minutes:

Linux OS is better than Windoze imho. Unless you really need a particular programme that will only run on Windoze (which is quite rare these days) you are better off with Linux.

I agree Greg, it was only the dongle issue that made me change it. The major problem for non techie when it comes to Linux is the lack of plug and play capability.....

Yorkshire Remixer
02-10-2011, 23:22
the early aspire ones were released with linux because the onboard atom cpu couldnt handle windows apps running simultaneously. also the speed of the transfer from the ssd drive didnt help either.....

the later ones however had the better atom cpu hence released with windows xp

cressrt
05-10-2011, 13:11
Why don't you download a new copy of Linux, I use Ubuntu, and do a clean install, assuming you have no data you require. Or you can boot from the USB stick and save any data first.

karinagal
05-10-2011, 14:41
Why don't you download a new copy of Linux, I use Ubuntu, and do a clean install, assuming you have no data you require. Or you can boot from the USB stick and save any data first.

Thanks but that sounds like it would need to be done by someone with some expertise in this kind of thing and that's definitely not me... I've received the Linux recovery DVD today so will give that a try and see how I go from there...!

tenerifedave
05-10-2011, 18:15
Acer Aspire One came in many guises depending on the model number. Some where installed with Win XP SR3 and others with Linpus, a cut down version of Linux. See this link for some spacifics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One If you need Windows IMHO you shoud install Win XP otherwise the best option is Ubuntu Netbook Edition.

cressrt
05-10-2011, 19:33
It's not too hard at all, also there is a lot of help on the Ubuntu forum, but give the recovery CD a go. Have a look at the Ubuntu site anyway you may get some ideas there.

karinagal
06-10-2011, 00:20
It's not too hard at all, also there is a lot of help on the Ubuntu forum, but give the recovery CD a go. Have a look at the Ubuntu site anyway you may get some ideas there.

Thanks pet, I will do.

Added after 2 minutes:

Acer Aspire One came in many guises depending on the model number. Some where installed with Win XP SR3 and others with Linpus, a cut down version of Linux. See this link for some spacifics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One If you need Windows IMHO you shoud install Win XP otherwise the best option is Ubuntu Netbook Edition.

Thanks for that - the netbook is only used now for email and web browsing when we're in Tenerife so windows is no longer required. I wish I'd never changed it as Linux was soooo fast by comparison! Lesson learnt - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

cressrt
06-10-2011, 08:27
If it helps I usually have the latest version of Ubuntu on a USB stick as I try to convert people from Windoze to Linux. They use Ubuntu in some of the colleges over here, as it's better and free!

karinagal
06-10-2011, 14:49
If it helps I usually have the latest version of Ubuntu on a USB stick as I try to convert people from Windoze to Linux. They use Ubuntu in some of the colleges over here, as it's better and free!

Maybe you can 'talk' me through what I need to do? I've got the recovery disc, now obviously I need to copy the files onto a USB stick? I'm presuming that the stick needs to be free of other files - does that include the driver/software for the stick itself? Cruser etc usually have software already on them...

If I get the bit above done properly, how do I get the netbook ready for the Linux install?

I really am clueless - I have no programming understanding or ability despite completing a year of a Computer Science degree!!!! (it was the foundation year.... I got as far as 'Hello World' and 'What's your name?' 'How are you today ------?'

:p

karinagal
05-11-2011, 08:30
Ok - update. Used the recovery disc and successfully restored Linux (Limpus Lite). Back to being super fast to boot up and handles web browsing with no problems.....

However..... and this is the reason that I took the drastic measure of putting windows on in the first place..... I'm back to the original problem of not being able to install programmes on it!! I've been trying to install Skype with no success. I have my 'root' password but I don't know how to get the right part of the program to 'run' and 'install'?

I'm not back in Tenerife until 3rd December but if anyone can give me an idiots guide to running and installing programmes on Linux, I would be very grateful!! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

cressrt
05-11-2011, 09:50
Have not used this product, but have been onto the Linpus site and there is a quick start guide you can download there. To get more applications you use the Online Update Service available via the live update tool in Settings. If the programme you want is there it should download and install automatically.

Added after 8 minutes:

Just had a google and found this link http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files/connect.html#002, see if it helps.

babybadger
05-11-2011, 11:35
I have got an Asus EEEPC and when i reinstalled Linux (ubuntu) I did have a problem with WPA encryption on the Router, be careful that this will work, if you do a clean reinstall, I tweaked the drivers around and got it working, but took a couple of hours!

karinagal
05-11-2011, 11:58
Have not used this product, but have been onto the Linpus site and there is a quick start guide you can download there. To get more applications you use the Online Update Service available via the live update tool in Settings. If the programme you want is there it should download and install automatically.

Added after 8 minutes:

Just had a google and found this link http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files/connect.html#002, see if it helps.

Thanks! I tried the live update tool but Skype wasn't there... Any software I DID try to download from it wouldn't install properly, saying something about being unable to resolve dependencies or something similar.. TBH might just leave it be - as long as I can access my email and check my online banking, it will do as it is!!

Added after 2 minutes:

I have got an Asus EEEPC and when i reinstalled Linux (ubuntu) I did have a problem with WPA encryption on the Router, be careful that this will work, if you do a clean reinstall, I tweaked the drivers around and got it working, but took a couple of hours!

It doesn't seem to have any problems doing what it was originally designed to do.. It's just adding things that causes problems!! Then again, it's probable that I am the problem!! ;)

sleepy
08-11-2011, 18:13
I mess about with Linux a lot on an Acer Aspire netbook as well as a desktop machine.The netbook came with Windows XP on it but it wasn't long before I decided to run Puppy Linux on it.
This can be done in many ways.Either by installing it to one folder which sits on the 'c'drive or by installing the complete system to a bootable usb stick or sd card.
In your case it could easily be installed to your existing Linux setup without any interferece to it and you could then dual boot by installing grub4dos.
Skype and all other well known forms of communication programs work with it and it's just a case of using the right Puppy Linux for your particular computer.
If you get stuck,by all means give me a shout when your next in Tenerife and I'll get it running for you.

Vortex Wake
16-12-2012, 15:39
I thought I'd bump this thread as I have my brothers 6 year old Sony T2XP back as it is failing to boot on Windows XP so I have put Windows 7 on it.

As he only uses this laptop for web browsing - I though I might have a go at installing Linux instead of Windows.

Which version of Linux would be best for this laptop that has just 500meg ram and a 1.2 gig processor?

I do realize that I will have to do a 'fix' for the widescreen resolution on this laptop (but you have to do that with Windows 7 anyway)

cressrt
16-12-2012, 16:54
I use Ubuntu, but for an older machine it may be worth trying the "light" version, Lubuntu,

Vortex Wake
17-12-2012, 08:33
Sorted - done ! Thanks :)

I put Lubuntu on without any issues - even the widespread 1280 x 768 (ish) resolution was supported without the issues that windows 7 has.

I might put Linux on my own main Acer laptop too :)

I actually have 2 Sony t2xp laptops - one I use as a 'bum bag-able' Tenerife inflight lappy . I'm wondering about having a play with an SSD drive with Linux on (just for fun ;) ).

cressrt
17-12-2012, 09:21
Well done!
For anyone else thinking of trying you can always try out Ubuntu (or any of the variants) via a USB stick before installing on another computer. It is well worth moving from Windoze!