PDA

View Full Version : Instituto (senior school) in Guaza closed until futher notice

fonica
30-09-2011, 11:47
The Department of Education decided to close the Instituto in Guaza this week as it is in a dangerous condition following renovation work completed during the summer holidays.The pupils will now be required to attend the school in Estrellas,Las Galletas from 14.00-20.30 in the afternoon. The pupils who play sports,belong to clubs,have extra lessons will now be in school and will arrive home after 21.00 in the evening.The Dept.of Education say the work will be completed within two months but the constructor says that it could be well into next year before it is finished. Doesn't sound like a plan to me.

Tinkabel
30-09-2011, 12:47
We went to the meeting on Wednesday and the parents were furious, rightly so IMO, by the time the kids have got home eaten, showered atc etc it will be far too late to do homework, Not to mention the lost money parents have already paid out for after school activites etc. Many of the parents rely on their older children to look after younger siblings after school whilst they work, which will mean they either have to pay out for extra childcare or will be unable to work.A lot of the kids are not entitled to the bus service which means they will be possibly walking home from school alone and in the dark!!!!
It's disgusting situation ! and a better solution needs to be found!!

fonica
30-09-2011, 13:21
All true, plus most of the teachers have kids and will not see them during the week so they are not going to be happy in their work! However usual problem here in Tenerife,Tuesday there were a hundred parents protesting,Wednesday there were thirty parents protesting and by today they will just have given up and the kids will suffer for the next year at least.I can undersatnd that the students just want to stay with their friends and the only way this seems possible is to go to the other school.However minimum effort from the Dept of Education who haven't even considered other options like Cultural Centers,empty office blocks,sports centers......... keep fighting parents of Guaza!!!!!

MrsTT
30-09-2011, 20:33
I don't suppose the parents can afford to take the time off work to maintain a protest unfortunately.
Why is it that the children, who represent the future of any society, are not given the consideration they deserve to produce their best? It is hardly their fault if the work was not completed safely on their school buildings. Surely temporary accommodation could be found in a warehouse if necessary.
Whilst a Headteacher, in 2000 my school of 53 moved into the local church, whilst our building was rebuilt around us. I know this school here is going to be much bigger than mine in the UK was, but once there was a will to find the space locally, a way was found!
Good luck parents and keep fighting for common sense to prevail!

Tinkabel
30-09-2011, 20:47
The current building are all pre-fabs anyway, i really can't understand why they can't just lift out the old ones and replace them, how long could it possibly take, and surely it makes more sense financially to replace rather than repair something which was always meant to be a temporary measure anyway! My daughter's friend has already been told by her family that she won't be able to go to afternoon classes as they rely on her to look after their youngest daughter. Its just a frustrating situation to be in and trying to get current information is like trying to get blood from a stone. :mad:

fonica
04-10-2011, 13:16
As they are not working on the school at the moment,we can only assume that the kids will not be returning in two months or even two years at this rate:

Oberon
04-10-2011, 14:34
The current building are all pre-fabs anyway, i really can't understand why they can't just lift out the old ones and replace them, There is no money.

Tinkabel
04-10-2011, 19:44
There is no money.

But surely its a false economy trying to repair something that was meant to be temporary 7 years ago!!!

fonica
04-10-2011, 20:06
Plenty of money for the park in Parque de la Reina which must be costing zillions and is taking a lifetime to finish and plenty of money for the road through Guaza which has taken so long to start,half finish and start again,that many businesses have gone to the wall.Plenty of money for entertaining the bl**dy Alcalde(mayor).One could go one but it won't help the kids who still haven't left school for the day at 20hrs+ and who have missed all their out of school activities and will continue to do so for a long time unless something is done!!!

Tinkabel
04-10-2011, 22:07
Our daughter is an extremely shy 12 year old who had managed to work herself up into quite a state over the summer about starting secondary school, First week done and there was relief all round, she'd made a few friends, liked her new teacher and seemed to be settling down better than we could have hoped for. She's just had a week off while the powers that be decide how/where they can send the kids and disrupt everyone's lives, thats another week of fretting and worrying about starting another new school and it's looking like we'll have at least 8 weeks of this before the repairs are completed, thats if it gets done on time, and we all know how unlikely that is!

Oberon
05-10-2011, 13:13
There is no money.

Plenty of money for the park in Parque de la Reina which must be costing zillions and is taking a lifetime to finish and plenty of money for the road through Guaza which has taken so long to start,half finish and start again,that many businesses have gone to the wall.Plenty of money for entertaining the bl**dy Alcalde(mayor).These are all financed by the Ayuntamiento de Arona. They have money.

It is the Consejería de Educación that have no money.

MrsTT
05-10-2011, 22:37
These are all financed by the Ayuntamiento de Arona. They have money.

It is the Consejería de Educación that have no money.

Sometimes one wonders at the priorities of government departments, and how they can get their budget allocations just so wrong!!

Oberon
06-10-2011, 10:09
Yes, very true, one does wonder.
But in this case, the Consejería de Educación is a government department, staffed mainly by teachers who prefer the office hierarchies, which has no money - in fact in Madrid and over most of the mainland the teachers have been on strike intermittently throughout September - basically because they now have less than "no money" and they are having to cut wages and services.

On the other hand, the Ayuntamiento de Arona isn't the government at all; it's the council, which is run by a couple of big local families, and they are rolling in it. Not quite as much as a few years ago, but they are still rolling in it.
The people who vote for them know that they have nothing to do with education and that they are the ones who make the parks pretty. So they will spend the money on the parks - and you can be pretty sure that their children won't be going to places like the Instituto in Guaza.

MrsTT
08-10-2011, 09:26
It sounds like the people who value education more than parks ought to get voting for the people to run the council!!