PDA

View Full Version : Movistar strikes (on strike?) again

HarryH
30-09-2011, 22:40
Can somebody explain to me what the fraudsters who run Movistar are up to now in Callao Salvaje? We know that, unlike the rest of the island, our broadband will never be more than 1mb - in practice 0.75.

Yesterday, all day my best download speed was 0.12 (upload 0.25!) and today it is 0.34. When is someone going to sort out this useless company?

timmylish
01-10-2011, 00:01
Must be hell down there Harry. I presume that you,ve given consideration to mobile connections/the co. who advertise service in your area. Members Wizend are more up to date and might be able to help. There was a monster thread on this very subject so do a search!

HarryH
01-10-2011, 00:40
I know that TT is looking into WiFi, but as far as I know there isn't a repeater in this part of the village. Mobile phone connections are also bad here it and it casts doubt on most modern forms of communication at the moment. Apparently it is too expensive for Movistar to bother improving the lines into the village. They are so limited that it is pretty well impossible to get a new line here. Roll on competition. It reminds me of Rank Xerox when they invented the photocopier. You couldn't buy one, only rent at ridiculous prices. Once their patents expired the competition shot in and made a wonderful profit at prices a fraction of before. And who hears of Xerox today? Look after your customers today and they will still be with you tomorrow.

timmylish
01-10-2011, 00:51
Yep! Telefonica/movistar have been singing the same song for as long as I can remember!

TenerifeTeddy
01-10-2011, 09:04
Movistar drive me nuts! The chap in the Money Exchange phoned them up and they improved his speed from .8 Mb to 3.5Mb in 24 hours for €48 per month.

Goody I thought, I´m 100m from the Money Exchange, I´ll do the same, especially as I am supposed to get a guaranteed 2Mb for which I pay €78 per month ( I only get 1.7Mb). Oh yes you can have 20Mb - It´ll take 3 days - ******** I thought, no chance, but at least it might reduce the monthly payment, and I´d be happy with 3.5Mb. I went home and made the same phone call, shop and home are 500M apart. Oh no sir It´s not available in your area!!!. Guess what, after a week, another phone call to Movistar and no upgrade to speed is available in the shop either!

WiFi Canarias find that Agua Viva blocks their signal from Los Menores to the bottom part of the village, they are trying to get permission to place another repeater on the Atlantic Hotel to overcome this.