PDA

View Full Version : Can I hire a car near the Cruise Ship Terminal in Santa Cruz de Tenerife?

KenQE2
01-10-2011, 10:31
Sorry to dump on you guys, I know what it's like on other forums when somebody comes along and just says "help me" rather than read what's already there, but that's exactly what I'm doing now as I am SO pressed for time...

Due to various unfortunate circumstances I might be on a Fred Olsen cruise to the Canaries etc that I have been planning since the beginning of the year. The fact is I had it all worked out but my travelling companion is now indisposed so we are cancelled and I am on a waiting list for a single cabin - with frankly not much chance of success and I suspect if I do get on the trip I will only know at the very last minute.

Under the circumstances, I will have to put up with whatever gets meted out, but it was my plan (as I know Tenerife quite well) to take my mate on a car tour as we have 16 hours in port. On my own I would like to visit a few places and reaquaint with the staff I know, maybe pal up with anybody on-board and take them along too.

Worst case scenario I get a few hours warning of travel and then it's all hands to the deck, then 6 days on board with a couple of stops and very limited communications (internet is a possibility) before arriving in Santa Cruz early November. Not easy to get car hire organised!

So, what does anybody suggest? Is there a hire car office within easy reach of the quay? Is there a "lend my car" scheme in operation (this is getting going in the UK - with appropriate protections in place people enter into private hire arrangements if they are not using their car for a period)?

Another issue is when does an office close to be able to hand the car back - that would be a considerable limitation.

TIA!

bonitatime
01-10-2011, 18:39
There is an Hertz office very near the port this would I guess be the easiest solution.
Offices usually close at 8 pm

KenQE2
02-10-2011, 10:42
Terrific. I'll google / streetview / etc Hertz.

Any other suggestions very welcome. I suspect it might be possible to arrange on-board through the purser (or whatever), but I don't like leaving things to chance.

rosemary
02-10-2011, 11:45
http://www.easycar.com/car-hire/spain/tenerife.aspx These guys have an office in the quayside. I donīt know them but they sound OK. How about googling one of the hotels near the quay?

malagabob
13-10-2011, 17:33
Cicar car rental have a office at Muelle Ribera, Muelle is spanish for quay or dock. I should think being a well used tourist cruise port other companies will have offices on the quay also. Input car hire santa cruz tenerife in your search browser.

KenQE2
14-10-2011, 08:52
Many thanks for all your input, but the cruise is now definitely off. Hopefully this info will be useful to anybody else in a similar situation.